a2k's Official Depository for Really Really Stupid Tech!

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 02:30 pm

Sturgis

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 02:45 pm
Idiotic rice cookers! It's rice for corns sake. It is not anywhere near difficult to prepare!

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 03:58 pm
@Sturgis,
I still have sentimental feelings towards rice cookers (though I haven't had one/used on since I moved from Massachusetts 20 years ago).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 04:00 pm
I recently had to upgrade to windows 10. When entering my pin I discovered that I no longer had to press ENTER to have the number accepted. I am so glad I found a feature that is useful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 04:40 pm
I recently saw an ad for a device to make opening up an avocado easier and quicker.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 05:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
I got to write software for these Smart Glasses. They are actually pretty fun to play with (although they aren't to the point where I would wear them around in public... or in Italy).

We were using them for industrial use. Workers wear them while doing involved tasks. The glasses respond to voice commands and display information in their field of view so they don't have to look away... and there is a camera to record progress.

Companies are willing to pay money for this technology because it boosts productivity. If you say that this is horrible technology that takes away the workers' humanity and is just another step to turning human beings into machines... I can't argue.

As a software engineer, these things are awfully fun to play with.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 08:25 pm
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 07:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ring’s latest security camera is a drone that flies around inside your house
https://imgur.com/NJRkzgm.jpg

roger

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 09:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Maybe it's just me, but that thing is horrifying. Get one and you won't have to worry about visits from Roger.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 09:57 pm
Many years ago someone gave me an electric egg cooker. Yes, I said an electric egg cooker....it would make hard boiled eggs....6 hard boiled eggs. I loved it, but I never used it..I loved it because it was the most ridiculous appliance I ever heard of. Instead of boiling a few eggs in one pot, you used this silly appliance, added water, plugged it in, set the timer...when eggs are fully cooked, unplug..take the damn thing apart and wash all the pieces (and there were a lot of pieces)..dry all the pieces and then find a place to store it in case you ever wanted to use it again.

OK, it wasn't really technology, it was just a useless appliance.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 26 Sep, 2020 06:11 am
0 Replies