U.S. Judges Call Emergency Meeting Over Fears About William Barr And Trump

vikorr

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:20 am
@oralloy,
Most democratic governments have checks and accountabilities for such things:
- In a court, a mistrial may be declared if the judge was friends with one of the parties.
- In government, misconduct charges may be brought (if such things exist) if politicians don't declare their conflict of interests.
- Same goes for government employees who make decisions (in this case, of relevance, a police officer investigating a crime alleged to be perpetrated by his friend, and not declaring the friendship or excusing himself from the investigation)

Of course that's how it works in Australia. I would be very surprised if there aren't similar checks and balances in the US.

Surely you know these sorts of things.
vikorr

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:21 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I did not deny the reality. I just ignored it as irrelevant to my argument.
I was using your phrasing back at you. Same goes for my argument - your legal 'facts' are irrelevant to my argument regarding the right and wrong of it.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:29 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
I would be very surprised if there aren't similar checks and balances in the US.

The President's powers are pretty absolute when it comes to executive authority.

Impeachment and elections are about the only checks against abuses of this power.

The President of course doesn't have any legislative or judicial powers.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:35 am
@glitterbag,
Oralloy has fantasised about desecrating the bodies of children murdered by his NRA chums.

Don't expend anything good to come from there, he's like Gollum with all the warm fuzzy bits removed.
oralloy

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 03:46 am
@izzythepush,
The NRA doesn't murder anyone. They protect against murderers.

I've hardly fantasized about such desecration.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 08:05 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Oralloy has fantasised

Isn't Oralloy someone you will not talk to, only talk about? You have a bad habit of hiding behind gossip that is usually just another lie coming from you.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 09:22 pm
@coldjoint,
Two liars in a row. Isent their something about that in the rules?
coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2020 10:10 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Isent their something about that in the rules?

https://able2know.org/rules/
0 Replies