U.S. Judges Call Emergency Meeting Over Fears About William Barr And Trump

vikorr

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:32 pm
@oralloy,
You're stating the 'truth' you want to convince yourself of (ie what you want to believe, rather than truth). If you wanted actual truth you would already have by now:
- addressed the long established concepts of judicial independence as compared to Trumps actions
- addressed examples of political interference in the judiciary as compared to Trumps actions (and to keep things similar - at prosecutorial level)

Of course you haven't done that.

Nor have you looked at it as a whole - who Trump is, and how any criticism can be taken by those who he can sack, and by those who he can promote, and his history of absolute willingness to do so. Each and every 'justification', you've tried to separate / compartmentalise.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:34 pm
@vikorr,
That is incorrect. I did address that.

"Nothing that Mr. Trump is doing is an attack on judicial independence."
https://able2know.org/topic/545488-1#post-6962076

"Government employees also have to do what their boss tells them to do."
https://able2know.org/topic/545488-1#post-6962055
vikorr

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:36 pm
@oralloy,
To do that, you have to put up an explanation of Judicial independence, and then compare Trumps actions against them. You haven't done that here. Just empty statements.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:43 pm
@vikorr,
There are no "Trump's actions against them" to be compared.

Mr. Trump is not attacking judicial independence in any way.

Here is an explanation of judicial independence:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_independence

I don't perceive any requirement for me to put up an explanation of judicial independence. But it was easily done, so there you go. If there was such a requirement, I have now fulfilled it.
vikorr

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:46 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Mr. Trump is not attacking judicial independence in any way.
Yet another attempt to mislead (yourself, rather than me). We are talking about interfering, not attacking.

As an side comment - an attack can be interference, but interference entails much more. Off to work now.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:49 pm
@vikorr,
Mr. Trump is not interfering with judicial independence in any way.
vikorr

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:50 pm
@oralloy,
Rofl, word games are silly (yes I caught your pre-edit), because you won't want to admit that Trumps actions match the definition of interference in the judiciary.

I'm off to work this time
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 08:51 pm
@vikorr,
Mr. Trump's actions do not match the definition of interference in the judiciary.

I edited out my word game comment in response to you editing in your "side comment" about what you perceive as the difference between attack and interference. I don't think there is much of a difference in this case, but with your added explanation it no longer appeared to just be a silly word game.

I trust that you will not characterize "doing your job" as "interference".
Real Music

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The President is just doing his job and exercising his normal prosecutorial powers.

…..in order to help his criminal buddies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2020 11:36 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:
Wow, is that what the liberal media is telling you guys?
Don't know which media you are referring to. I don't watch much news, and don't read much news. Further, I don't live in the U.S. Your politics are largely your own, though they affect the rest of the world to some degree. In any case, I was responding to the commentary here on the actions of a leader of a democratic State.

It is by the way, my experience that the first people to throw accusations of 'youve obviously been influence by' (and any really), particularly when the accusation is without explanation - are those who are largely what they accuse others of.

You don't read the news (much), you don't watch the news (much), you don't watch American TV, You don't follow American politics...

How is it you even have an opinion on this? Osmotic transference?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 12:48 am
@McGentrix,
So what will you accept in the future? Friends of Trump can commit criminal acts and it's ok? I don't know how you square things in McG world, but I don't care if I am physically beaten by a liberal or a conservative......I want them arrested and prosecuted.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 12:54 am
I sincerely hope we can adhere to long established laws that govern this country. It appears the Judges might be the only safeguard between freedom and a Trumpian Banana Republic. I'm not sure if I hold out much hope for Judiciary's protecting everything we hold dear.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 02:05 am
@glitterbag,
It would help if we had an independent senate rather a Trumpie senate that goes along with any crooked thing he wants to do. They seem to have forgotten we fought a revolution to get away from kings.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 06:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I trust that you will not characterize "doing your job" as "interference".
Not at all...and it's not part of his job to try and get his friends off prosecution cases (or stop prosecutions cases that may damage his reputation), nor to put undue pressure on the prosecutors against a prosecution case against his friends (or in fact, just about any case) - and yes, any criticism from a president with a history of wanting yes men, and firing anyone who dissents....is undue pressure. Any criticism against a prosecution case from a president even without that history is undue pressure.
vikorr

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 06:11 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:

You seriously can't work this out? A story was posted here (you know the contents). And the concepts of judicial independence, conflict of interest, what entails nepotism etc, isn't news. These together enable an opinion - and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out as the answer to your question, nor even much in the way of intelligence....

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 07:35 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Quote:

You seriously can't work this out? A story was posted here (you know the contents). And the concepts of judicial independence, conflict of interest, what entails nepotism etc, isn't news. These together enable an opinion - and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out as the answer to your question, nor even much in the way of intelligence....

Oh, I see. You read a "story"... What media/source was this "story" from? It seems that if you don't read or watch news, this "story" must be the basis from which you have formed your opinion.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 11:48 am
@oralloy,
You are incorrect. Government employees are supposed to work for all the people and their government, not a dictator.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 11:53 am
@vikorr,
Al capon, Donald Trump, the only difference i see in them is that one was deported and the Donald is hailed as a hero by 40 percent of a demented population.
oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 01:31 pm
@RABEL222,
Al Capone was deported?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2020 01:32 pm
@RABEL222,
I'm not incorrect. Executive branch employees work for the President.
0 Replies