Tribute to the (early pioneers) of Hip Hop and Rap music.

Mr PantsFellDown

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2021 08:58 am
Why would anyone want to "pay tribute" to the racist mysoginist hoodlums who ended music?

"Rap is for tone deaf people" - Keith Richards

And before anyone gets pissy about it, I've written 400 songs. Actual songs, and I played all the instruments.
I CAN HEAR BETTER THAN ANY OF YOU.
I don't use pitch correction. I dont sample 8 notes of someone else's song, then chant menacingly over it in a loop, encouraging people to "hate whitey" and "kill (women and cops)".
I MAKE MUSIC. There used to be MUSIC.
You'll have to take my word for it, having never heard any yourself.
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 02:00 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys? Or maybe NWA and Public Enemy?

How about Blondie?
snood

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:13 pm
@Mr PantsFellDown,
Mr PantsFellDown wrote:

Why would anyone want to "pay tribute" to the racist mysoginist hoodlums who ended music?

Oh. Em. Gee. Music ENDED? Like, it’s OVER!?
Well, that really sucks. I’m going to miss music...
oralloy

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2021 03:44 pm
@snood,
Well, rock and metal are dead.

Aside from David Bowie's Blackstar (which was the final work of a dying genius), have there been any great rock or metal albums after 2009?

For that matter, have there been any "one of the greatest of all time" caliber of rock or metal albums after 2001?
0 Replies

Mr PantsFellDown

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 02:33 pm
@snood,
I dont mean to insult you, Snood. Blacks created every cool music form we had in the 20th century. Jazz, Blues, Rhythm & Blues, Rock, Funk (I love the falsetto singing in 70's funk, my god that was good sh*t. Why couldnt you guys do some more of that? Why'd you have to steal 8 note sound bites and chant threats over them instead of making some more cool music? Why? You're just screwing with us white folks arent you? YOU dont ecven like rap/hip hop. You guys pretend to to piss us off. RIGHT? (I'm avbout 38% serious, yes.)
Well.. MTV GAVE the entire music industry to rap and hip hop, so from my perspective (that of millions who CANT STAND THAT HIDEOUS SICKENING NOISE), music was ELIMINATED by the year 2000. They dont even teach it in schools anymore, because billionaires pass laws to prevent us paying for our kids schools to have full curriculums for our kids.. They want us to be STUPID, so we can be tricked into voting for them to rob and de-right us some more! (I think thats why).
But again, dude, I'm a boomer. We love you guys. We love the music you gave us too. We just cant stand rap and hip hop. Its actually BAD. Its not us!

oralloy

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 03:11 pm
@Mr PantsFellDown,
The decline in rock and metal started after 2001, but there was still good music being published through 2009.

On the heavy metal front, note Crack the Skye by Mastodon in 2009.

On the rock and roll front, note In Rainbows by Radiohead in 2007.

Those may not be "greatest of all time" caliber of music, but they are definitely worthwhile. It was only after that that rock and metal became a barren wasteland.

On the other hand, Sirius XM came out with a dedicated "1990 - 2010" era hard rock channel (Turbo) so they could dedicate their Octane channel to post-2010 hard rock. So apparently they have enough post-2010 hard rock to populate a playlist. Maybe rock and metal has just changed so much that new music is unrecognizable to us old folk.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2021 05:13 pm
@Mr PantsFellDown,
Quote:
"Rap is for tone deaf people" - Keith Richards

Frank Sinatra on Rock Music (which includes Keith Richards):

“It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people. It smells phony and false. It is sung, played and written for the most part by cretinous goons and by means of its almost imbecilic reiterations and sly, lewd—in plain fact dirty—lyrics, and as I said before, it manages to be the martial music of every sideburned delinquent on the face of the earth.

“This rancid smelling aphrodisiac I deplore. But, in spite of it, the contribution of American music to the world could be said to have one of the healthiest effects of all our contributions.”

Mr PantsFellDown

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 06:37 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Frank Sinatra on Rock Music:
“It fosters negative and destructive reactions. It smells. It is played by cretinous goons, by means of imbecilic reiteration and dirty lyrics.

Way to parrot nonsense, instead of having any insight to offer.

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 07:06 am
No one asked me, but just for the record...

I like probably less than 50% of the music that is labeled as rap or hip hop. The songs I like are generally about something. The songs I have no use for are the ones about nothing but the size of one’s bank account, or their cars, drug game, or bitches and ho’s. It irritates me a little that so much of this genre depends on sampling other’s work. But I can’t place myself as ultimate arbiter of what does and doesn’t get to be part of American culture, or whose taste is or is not “correct” - the only thing I’m in charge of is knowing what I like.

For instance, I only like about 25% of country music. I especially get the skin crawls from songs that employ either a steel guitar or a mouth harp. But who am I to say that the other 75% is worthless, or that it’s fans are stupid for liking it?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 08:24 am

1986 hybrid model...

snood

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 08:51 am
@Region Philbis,
I thought they ruined a perfectly good song. It sold well though - so what do I know?
0 Replies

Mr PantsFellDown

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 08:51 am
@snood,
Snood, I respect that you like what you like. And whatever music someone likes, when they value it to the point of posting threads because they're all into it, they're doing something I understand. (Maybe I shoulda just said that in the first place, eh? Very Happy )

The music industry really did toss boomers overboard though. A generation's reign lasts about 20 years, then a nostalgia phase happens, then that generation is done. For boomers the 90's was our 'nostalgia period', our final hoorah. We had sitcoms like That 70s Show, and Ally Mc Beal, which had a 60's/70's soundtrack (as did Austin Powers), and PBS was putting on nostalgia concerts, etc. But when the clock struck 2,000, we became extinct.

Was that your fault, or that of black people? NO. It was corporations seeking easy reliable profit that put rap/hip hop in pre-eminence. MTV changed to all rap, then it stopped playing music...so I asked young people, "WHERE DO YOU GO TO HEAR NEW MUSIC, NOW?" And they didn't seem to know!! (hence my feeling that music "ended")

From the 50's to the 90's, we had a TOP FORTY system of getting to hear the 40 currently most popular songs regularly, while new songs being introduced had to earn a spot in the rotation by actually being liked. It was democracy. THE PEOPLE decided what they liked.

But profiteering corporate POS's decided that since most people are functionally tone deaf and will PARROT what theyre TOLD they "like", they could just
put out dog crap for music (it's cheapest, and everywhere), and just tell you "YOU LIKE IT!", and you will.

Corporations did this, while doing likewise to television, which used to have real shows, but putting total crap is cheaper, "ha ha ha, the suckers are dolts and won't notice!"

And this happened. It was decided that younger generations can just be TOLD "here's what you like", and since they're perceptionless parroting dolts they'll go along!

THIS WAY, rap which became called hip hop has remained "most popular" for WAY LONGER THAN WOULD HAPPEN NATURALLY.

So music really did end in 2,000, as I suggested. And the republicans REALLY DID take music education out of our public schools,
and Vladimir Putin thinks it's funny to see our country go to sh*t.

But man, if you like music, any music, and it makes you happy and youre all into it, I can only say RIGHT ON! Thats what I did. I'm just bummed out that it's over, and not because people democratically decide what they like, but because thieving lying profiteering corporate crap bags FOISTED THIS WORLD OF "who cares if it's good? We can fleece people and give them total sh*t for their money. We'll just TELL THEM they like it! HA HA HA!!" ...I really hate THAT.

Anyway, I hope I didn't disrupt your thread just to trash rap/hip hop. I actually just wanted to point out there was a sea change when rap started. And white folks - and I swear this is biological - cant get along with the sound of rap. It makes us feel disturbed, uncomfortable, and like we'll go insane if we have to listen to it for any time. ..But that's not news.
But yea, taking the rock away and replacing it with something we CANT like, that seemed a bit..racism in reverse to me, or at least it was certainly "who cares about whitey"...and I feel bad from that because as a 70's boomer, I've been arm-in-arm side since I was 5 years old...in the 60's, when I found out the world WASN'T as Mom & Dad promised me ("this is America, wrong things arent tolerated here") ...Dad put the news on every night at 6 PM and I was a boy playing with toys on the carpet, but I understood it. And it gave me lifelong conviction that EVERYONE (blacks, women, gays, EVERYONE) should have equal opportunity and respect. And I knew they didn't have it yet.

So when MTV gave the only music station left to a music we couldnt get into, and by canceling our music OUT OF EXISTENCE to do it,
...we didnt say anything. It struck us as you getting some reparations, being let in. (It brought some money and power to you guys, it lifted boats, and I wouldnt get in the way of that.)
snood

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 09:12 am
@Mr PantsFellDown,
I appreciate your thoughtful post. And I understand what you are saying about the phenomenon of corporations telling the public what they will and or won’t “like”.

An example from another entertainment genre:

The comedian Mike Epps recently said something similar in an interview. He talked about the popularity of someone like Kevin Hart, who in recent years became the richest stand up comedian ever, and whose face is seen in dozens of movies and tv appearances.

He was saying that Kevin Hart is a product that was basically created on social media. He is promoted as this hilarious, family-friendly black comedian that everybody loves. What’s weird is that the guy really isn’t funny. None of his peers think he is, and no one I know of thinks he’s funnier or even as funny as the dozens of comedians he out-sells. Kevin Hart ( and Tiffany Haddish, and Leslie Jones) have evidently been selected by corporate interests to represent ‘funny black people”. They get all the gigs, all the endorsements, all the attention. Therefore people think they “like” them the best of all black comedians.

It’s artificial.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 07:32 pm
@Mr PantsFellDown,
Here is a video regarding the (artistry) of some rap music that you might find interesting.

Rapping, deconstructed.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 07:40 pm
Outkast - Elevators (Me & You)

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 10:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Like Run DMC and the Beastie Boys? Or maybe NWA and Public Enemy?

How about Blondie?

First number-one single in the United States to feature rap vocals.

First rap video ever broadcast on MTV.

If it helps to make sense of the video, note that the dancer in the white tuxedo is supposed to represent "the man from Mars" referenced in the rap portion of the song.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 11:41 pm
Naughty by Nature - Feel Me Flow

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 12:03 am
André 3000 on Sixteen | Rhymes Highlighted

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 08:49 am
Eminem accepting the GRAMMY for Best Rap Album at the 45th GRAMMY Awards.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2021 08:51 am
Hip-Hop Legends show love towards Eminem throughout the years Part 1.

0 Replies