Tribute to the (early pioneers) of Hip Hop and Rap music.

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2020 10:22 pm
But everybody knows Public Enemy and N.W.A. and "The Show", so let's throw in some more obscure stuff too.

What about an early female rapper, when there weren't many yet?

Sweet Tee — I Got Da Feelin' (1987)

Or some more conscious hip-hop?

Stetsasonic - A.F.R.I.C.A. (1986)

British rap was relatively slow to gain its confidence, starting off just by imitating the Americans and such. So by those standards, this was some pioneering:

Derek B — Get Down (1988)

And then these guys took it a bit more hardcore

Silver Bullet ‎– 20 Seconds To Comply (1989)

In Holland, obviously rap was even slower to get its feet. I've got D.A.M.N.'s Don't Accept Mass Notion, apparently the first Dutch hip-hop album to be released on vinyl (1989), but it does sound a bit hokey now.. not bad, just also not great.

A year later, 24K's No Enemies had at least a killer riff though:

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 11:11 pm
3rd Bass - Steppin' To The A.M.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2020 11:23 pm
FREEEZ........I.O.U . EXTENDED,,,,12"

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2020 11:54 pm
Big Daddy Kane sat down with Ed Lover on “Backstory” and talks about Rakim being his biggest competition, and KRS-One being the battle he always wanted.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2020 12:25 am
The story of MC Lyte

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2020 01:05 pm
"Christmas In Hollis" by Run DMC

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:07 pm
Rap pioneer John ‘Ecstasy’ Fletcher of the hip-hop rap group Whodini dies at 56.

Published December 24, 2020

Quote:
John Fletcher, best known as Ecstasy from the pioneering rap group Whodini, has died, the group’s Grand Master Dee has confirmed. The cause of death was unclear at the time of this article’s publication; he was 56.

Roots drummer Questlove was the first to break the news on Wednesday via a social-media post paying tribute to the veteran rapper. “One love to Ecstasy of the legendary #Whodini,” he wrote. “This man was legendary and a pivotal member of one of the most legendary groups in hip hop. This is sad man.”

While not as well-known as early hip-hop pioneers like Kurtis Blow or Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Whodini were among the most popular early rap outfits, via hit singles like “Friends,” “Freaks Come Out at Night,” “Magic’s Wand” and“The Haunted House of Rock.”

The group’s combination of rapping and singing and its synth-heavy sound were a staple in early’80s nightclubs and brought the group one platinum and two gold albums. “The trio, along with producer Larry Smith, made the first hip-hop records that black radio embraced,” veteran writer Nelson George wrote on Twitter Wednesday.

In separate testimonials to Whodini’s influence, A Tribe Called Quest rapper Q-Tip called Fletcher “one of the most under-appreciated voices in hip-hop,” and Public Enemy’s galvanizing MC Chuck D wrote on Twitter: “1987 I entered the Def Jam tour. I tended to be nervous, looking at 15,000 fans in front of me every night. There were two MCS that directly mentored my calm that summer. One was Doug E. Fresh and the other was Ecstacy of Whodini. Always there to reassure with advice and tips.”

Fletcher formed Whodini with singer-rapper Jalil Hutchins in Brooklyn, NY, in 1982 and signed with the influential Jive Records shortly after.

The group — managed by Russell Simmons, who also managed Kurtis Blow and the then-nascent Run-DMC — debuted with the single “Magic’s Wand,” a savvy tribute to early hip-hop DJ Mr. Magic and followed with a self-titled album in 1983.

But Whodini’s breakthrough came the following year with “Escape.” Produced by Kurtis Blow associate Larry Smith, it included such smashes as “Freaks Come Out at Night” and the cynical “Friends,” which is one of the most sampled songs in hip-hop, appearing in tracks by Kanye West, Dr. Dre, Tupac and more than 150 others.

With his trademark Zorro hat, Fletcher was the focal point of the group.

The group followed in 1986 with the Smith-helmed “Back in Black,” and were second on the bill on Run-DMC’s “Raising Hell Tour” that year — in a reflection of their status, they were billed above LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys.

However, the group’s popularity had begun to fade, despite their influence on the New Jack Swing style of the early 1990s, and several attempts at a comeback were unsuccessful. Their final album, 1996’s “Six,” was produced by hitmaker Jermain Dupri, who cited them as a major influence on his own work with Kriss Kross and TLC, and even briefly worked as a dancer for the group early in his career.

While Whodini largely remained on the nostalgia circuit in recent decades, they did get well-deserved recognition at several points, at VH1’s Hip Hop Honors in 2007 and at the Black Music Honors in 2018, where they received the Hip-Hop Icon Award.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/john-ecstacy-fletcher-whodini-dies_n_5fe4b32ec5b66809cb3090a7
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:13 pm
Whodini - One Love

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:26 pm
Whodini - Freaks Come Out at Night

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:37 pm
Whodini - Friends

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 12:25 am
Boogie Down Productions - The Bridge Is Over (Lyrics)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2021 01:11 am
Big Daddy Kane on being in the middle of MC Shan vs KRS-One beef.

Influential MC Big Daddy Kane sat down with VladTV and shared his thoughts on the meaning of a label deal in the late '80s, how he got down with The Juice Crew, and how he was caught in the middle between MC Shan and KRS-One.
The now infamous Juice Crew vs. Boogie Down Productions beef found Kane in the middle of the mess, as he was down with the Juice Crew through his connections to Biz Markie, while also knowing MC Shan didn't care for him. He was also good friends with KRS-One during the height of the battle, as the "The Bridge is Over" spitter helped Kane early in his career, even helping him move out of his mother's home.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 09:22 pm
Busy Bee vs Kool Moe Dee

One of the first hip hop battles in hip hop history

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 11 Jan, 2021 09:39 pm
"L.A. Sunshine" - Treacherous 3, Spoonie Gee, 1979, Enjoy Records (Part 5)

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 5 May, 2021 09:18 am
Kid 'N Play - Gittin' Funky

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 11:09 pm
Hashim - TR-808 / TR-08 Drum Machine Pattern

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 11:20 pm
TR 808
THE UNTOLD STORY PART 1

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 11:28 pm
Hey RM

Does Gil Scott Heron count as some sort of godfather of rap - or is his jazz poetry without influence?

Real Music

Reply Thu 13 May, 2021 11:48 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
Does Gil Scott Heron count as some sort of godfather of rap - or is his jazz poetry without influence?

1. I am only vaguely familiar with Gil Scott Heron's music.

2. Yes. I am familiar with the song you posted (The Revolution Will Not Be Televised).

3. I also remember another Gil Scott Heron's song titled (Angel Dust).

4. I am much more familiar with the song (Angel Dust), because I remember that song being played on the radio back in the day.

5. I don't really know the answer to your question.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 31 May, 2021 08:13 pm
DJ Cassidy Pass The Mic volume 2 (Old School Hip Hop)

The Mic Vol. 2' Ft. Hip-Hop Greats LL Cool J, Rakim, Salt-N-Pepa, MC Lyte And 30+ More MCs.
Beginning with Run of Run DMC performing "Sucker M.C.'s," the nearly forty minute set included appearances from the likes of LL Cool J, Chuck D, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, MC Lyte, Kid N' Play and Naughty By Nature, all of whom tear the house down, albeit virtually from the comfort of their own. The session includes many magical moments and is filled with a love for one another, as well as the culture that brings us all together.

Very Happy

0 Replies