Computer hooked to stereo for music, but have buzzing..

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:22 pm
Here's what I've got goin on. I have my computer in one room hooked up to my home theater receiver in another room by way of an RCA cable. My problem is, there is a fairly loud buzzing comming through the speakers even if the computer is turned off (but stereo still on). As soon as I unplug the computer from the electrical outlet, the buzzing goes away completely. I had this same problem in the basement of my parents house (just moved three weeks ago), and I was able to cure it by gettin an extension cord and running it from a different outlet in the basement to the power strip. No such luck here though, as I have the same problem on all the electrical outlets. Any help would be awesome as I have over 5000 songs on my computer I'd like to listen to without the buzzing. thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 826 • Replies: 5
No top replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:38 pm
If I remember correctly, buzzing like that usually comes from a grounding problem.

Since the buzzing goes away if you turn off the computer you probably need to run a ground wire from your computer to your stereo. A single wire from the case of one to the case of the other might do the trick.

Not familiar enough with ground loops to answer more than that. Someone else might have a better idea.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:41 pm
BM
0 Replies

hoamskilet

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 09:43 pm
I have to actually unplug the computer from the electrical outlet for the buzzing to stop. If i leave it plugged in and just turn it off, it still buzzes like crazy.
0 Replies

hoamskilet

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
OK, did some more isolating and this is what i have now. I've got two power strips, one that has the thrid prong and one that doesn't, both plugged into the same wall outlet. If I keep my computer and the monitor (each has the third ground plug) in the strip that is missing, I have no noise. As soon as I plug either the computer OR the monitor into the strip wtih the third prong, the noise comes back. So I can see what the problem is...is there a good way to fix this???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 11:03 pm
See Your first topic on this question. And get rid of the strip without the ground prong.
0 Replies