Are Conservatives Capable of Critical thought?

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:02 pm
In thread after thread, all we get from conservatives are ridiculous bombastic one-sided comments. From "liberals hate America" or "Trump is for Freedom" or "Bomb Iran to oblivion".

You might say I am doing the same thing on this thread... and you may have a point. But, I do defend conservative positions when they have a valid point.

But all I am asking for is a conservative voice that can deal with complexity, or see more than one side of an issue, or accept the risks of a decision, or admit problems in their policy. Just to make it clear, you take take and defend a position and still admit the downsides or the problem. Critical thinking involves accepting the complexities of taking a position on a difficult issue.

I don't see conservatives having any kind of rational discussion. I don't see them wrestling with issues, or discussing facts on any deep level.

Critical thinking also means accepting when your opposition on any issue has a point. If you can't see the valid points on more than one side of a difficult issue, you are closing your mind.

Don't get me wrong.... I don't hate conservatives. The liberals here think I am one of you. It is frustrating when all you get from conservatives are as intellectually deep as a bumper sticker.

I expect more from the conservatives here. I would love to have people here who can take conservative positions without turning off their ability to think critically falling lockstep into a shallow set of talking points

Maybe I should just fully become a conservative... just to show that intellectual depth and the ability to question ones own point of view is possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 392 • Replies: 8

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:14 pm
@maxdancona,
No.

0 Replies

oralloy
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 09:48 pm
Conservatives understand that sometimes one side is right and one side is wrong, and they side with the side that is right.

There is no point in giving any credence to a bogus perspective.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2020 11:05 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Conservatives understand that sometimes one side is right and one side is wrong, and they side with the side that is right.

There is no point in giving any credence to a bogus perspective.

I gave you the red ribbon Oralloy for your verbosity, but your answer is the same as McGentrix's.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 09:52 am
@maxdancona,
I've never seen you show anything approaching critical thought. Don't pretend you're not getting all moist at the prospect of thousands of dead Iraqi and Iranian kids.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
"...red ribbon...your post is the same as McGentix's."

So essentially, your awarding is meaningless and useless.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 04:20 pm
@maxdancona,
True Conservatives can and will place their argument out clearly. They can and will defend it, along with valid points of reference, while explaining their views.

The same is true of Liberals and and all other political factions.

These people, go beyond constantly typing out, "You're wrong" and not only failing to defend themselves succinctly (or with multiple paragraphs of words); but, also demanding their opponent, "give links" to what they (the opponent) have written.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 07:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
True Conservatives can and will place their argument out clearly. They can and will defend it, along with valid points of reference, while explaining their views.

If this is true... I would love to meet a True Conservative.

In this age of Trump, the ability of people on either side to think critically has pretty much evaporated.

oralloy

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2020 08:09 pm
@maxdancona,
The fact that conservatives do not give any credence to people who are wrong does not mean that we do not think critically.

If you have any questions about why I hold a certain view, ask, and I'll justify myself.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are Conservatives Capable of Critical thought?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 04:40:39