Another devastating fire season

blatham

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2020 03:03 pm
@Borat Sister,
The suffering I cannot allow myself to consider. I would imagine that extinctions are certain given how some species of animals and plants have quite localized geographical ranges.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:27 am
Who can take this job?

Camels are thirsting to death, desperately seeking water, shot to death from the sky.

The world is becoming unbearable.

https://www.thecanary.co/opinion/2020/01/11/south-australias-response-to-the-death-of-over-a-billion-of-its-animals-is-beyond-disturbing/

Excerpt:

The price non-human animals pay for homo sapiens’ recklessness is incredibly apparent in Australia right now.

Wildfires have ravaged the country since September 2019, due in no small part to the human-induced climate crisis. At least 26 people have died in the avoidable tragedy. But compare that the loss of life of non-human animals: 1.3 billion of them have potentially perished. In short, for every human life lost, 50 million animals have likely died.
cherrie

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 04:31 am
@Lash,
I'm a little confused by this.

Are you saying that feral camels in the outback shouldn't be culled because millions of animals are dying in the bushfires?

One has nothing to do with the other. These are two completely separate and totally unrelated stories.
hightor

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 05:01 am
@cherrie,
Culling non-native species which were introduced irresponsibly is unfortunate but often necessary when their environmental impact is so damaging. It's awfully gruesome, I know, but it's not an example of wanton cruelty or ecological ignorance.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 10:32 am
I thought we might need a dose of koala cuteness.
blatham

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 02:49 pm
@hightor,
The royal we did.
Lash

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2020 03:49 pm
@cherrie,
They are to me.

Don’t worry.

It’s just an old lady seeing too much death. Shooting thirsty camels is a bridge too far for me after all this recent carnage.
0 Replies

Borat Sister

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 01:37 am
@blatham,
James Packer has come out swinging re pappy’s disgusting stance on climate change

Please let me feel the earth move under my feet
blatham

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 09:15 am
@Borat Sister,
Yes, I saw that. It's a positive, for sure, but I'm skeptical of an earth-moving change. Farmerman said he'd bumped into some story that Rupert had fallen and was not himself (paraphrasing but something like that). He's about 90 now so increasing disability is certain in any case.

I'll be waiting to see real changes from Lachlan before I get hopeful. And the changes I'll be waiting for will be particularly as regards how FOX operates in the US.
Borat Sister

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 11:30 am
@blatham,
Murdoch...meant Murdoch

Too many james

Yeah, who knows whether to hope or not?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Jan, 2020 01:09 pm
Quote:
QuickTake by Bloomberg
@QuickTake
A secret firefighting mission up Australia's Gospers Mountain has saved the world's only wild Wollemi Pines - trees as old as dinosaurs #AustraliaFires #AustraliaBushfires
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 10:20 am
For those interested, the WP has an informative piece up on the Murdoch family and the recent statement from James and wife
Quote:
Since James officially left the company founded by his father Rupert Murdoch — after having lost out to his older brother, Lachlan, in a succession race — James and his wife, Kathryn, have become increasingly outspoken about their views. Many of their perspectives directly contradict the editorial direction of the Murdochs’ properties, including Fox News and News Corp. Australia, the most dominant force in the Australian media landscape.

more here
Borat Sister

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2020 06:30 pm
@blatham,
Murdoch just pretty much lost a major investor.
blatham

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 04:31 pm
@Borat Sister,
Are you referring to James?
Borat Sister

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 05:17 pm
@blatham,
Nope. Rupert
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 17 Jan, 2020 06:35 pm
I am not understanding. I may have a tumor.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 18 Jan, 2020 01:20 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I thought we might need a dose of koala cuteness.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/australia-fires-koala-bear-water-cyclist-video-bushfire-heatwave-a9261641.html
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 09:02 pm
All the major fires in Victoria are now contained. This means that while they may still be burning they're being kept within containment lines.
The recovery process for the communities affected is well underway with most people now allowed back to their homes, whether that's to live or to clean up what's left of their homes.
In the bush the regeneration has begun.

https://i.imgur.com/Q5piieH.png
blatham

Reply Sat 29 Feb, 2020 09:44 pm
@cherrie,
All the best, sincerely.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2020 03:09 am