Times Square Ball Drop - no bathrooms

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 04:26 pm
So I was listening to the radio and they remarking how people going to Times Square wear adult diapers because there are no bathrooms. I thought that is crazy - I thought for sure that they would have porta potties.

But Tips for Times Square NYC says the following as tip #8:

8. New Years Eve Times Square Bathroom tip – make sure you go BEFORE you arrive
The number one question asked by anyone visiting Times Square – where is the bathroom?

Unfortunately, there are no portable restrooms in Times Square, so plan to use the restroom before you arrive or at a local restaurant. Be aware, most restaurants will require you to make a purchase in order to use their restrooms.

If you leave to go use the bathroom during the wait for the ball drop, then you most likely won’t be able to get back to your hard-earned viewing spot. A good viewing area is difficult to find (let alone keep), so if you get a good spot you’re not going to want to give it up.

And since Tip #2 is:

2. The earlier you arrive, the better
It should be rather obvious to anyone who’s ever watched the ball drop on television that the event is absolutely packed – so the earlier you get there, the better the view.

Unfortunately, early really means early for this Times Square celebration. The most dedicated visitors begin lining up in the early hours of the morning on New Year’s Eve. Depending on how close you’d like to be to the barrier, you’ll want to be up bright and early. Once you have a spot, do not leave it! It’ll be gone instantly.

You might even want to arrive the day before, stay at a hotel, and eliminate the stress of getting there the day of.

Note that if you arrive at your preferred viewing area too early in the day, you may be moved by the police when the barricades are put into place.

roger

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 06:55 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, that. Every time I see an overwhelming mass of some kind of protesters, my first thought is 'Who has to go'?
knaivete

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 07:09 pm
@roger,
What do we want? OUT When do we want it? NOW

Ever vigilant, today's well-dressed intrepid protester is fully kitted out and prepared.

The goggles and gas mask may also come in handy in the case of smoke or tear gas attack.

0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:36 pm
@Linkat,
You couldn't pay me to go there to see the ball drop. I hate masses of people and standing for hours in the cold, no food, no drinks, no bathroom - no thank you!
glitterbag

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:39 pm
@CalamityJane,
ditto
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2019 06:24 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

You couldn't pay me to go there to see the ball drop. I hate masses of people and standing for hours in the cold, no food, no drinks, no bathroom - no thank you!

You could pay me ... but I'd just use the money (and I mean a large sum) and buy into a private event with a balcony view of the event and where it's not so crowded; you're guaranteed good food and an open bar; access to clean and very exclusive bathrooms; and oh... you're not standing all day long because you can't bring a seat or have a place to sit down. So? I guess ... effectively speaking? You couldn't pay me to go there to see the ball drop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2019 06:43 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

You know I never even thought of the bathrooms - I just figured there were porta potties. I know here in Boston whenever there is a big event -- the porta potties are brought in.

Now I agree - I am not a fan of being squished with a large crowd and standing in the cold for hours. I do not even go to first night in Boston where I can freely move about due to my dislike of being out in the cold for extended periods of time. Instead I do things like go to a nice dinner that overlooks the fireworks or go to a hotel that offers a combo NYE party and stay when I decide to go out.

The thought that no food, drinks, or bathroom did not even enter my mind until I was listening to the radio - what fun is that being cold, hungry, thirsty and doing the potty dance?

The one time I came close to this - I went to an all day concert in England - the featured act was U2 with the Pretenders as one of the warm up bands . There were I think 4 or 5 bands in total. We went early because we had general admission tickets on a soccer field (that alone was risky). We got to the front of the stage - did not dare to move as we would never have found each other. I did not eat, drink or pee but at least I was warm. It was a fantastic concert and a great experience, but I would NEVER do that again. Funny I do not even remember needing to go to the bathroom.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2019 03:58 pm
I have been informed that BTS is performing live at Times Square tonight. What a ******* nightmare that will be.
Roberta

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 12:47 am
As a native New Yorker, the last place I want to be on New Year's Eve is Times Square. Although my reach is limited, I don't know anyone who has ever gone there or wanted to go there.

As a matter of fact, as I got older, I became more and more reluctant to be outside on New Year's Eve. Drunks. Meshuginas. No cabs. I've been hearing sirens all night long. I also heard a huge fireworks show in Central Park.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 01:02 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I have been informed that BTS is performing live at Times Square tonight. What a ******* nightmare that will be.

Don't watch, I'm not going to be looking for them.
Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 09:49 am
@glitterbag,
Ok having never seen them you forced me to watch... just another artificial boy band. Just shows that it doesn’t matter where you are from you can reproduce artificial talent anywhere around the world to make some money.

I did see them asking a group of people if they were wearing diapers... and they all answered happily yes.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 11:02 am
@Linkat,
BTS is today's boy band. I was suggesting that the usual crowd that would attend the ball drop was going to have the added pressure of the rabid BTS fans that are also going to be there, probably for over 24 hours waiting to see them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Times Square Ball Drop - no bathrooms
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/28/2024 at 07:05:58