What are some of your favorite genres of music?

Reply Wed 25 Dec, 2019 11:07 pm

1. Throughout history, there have been many types, many categories, and many genres of music.

2. Throughout history, there have also many sub-genres of music.

What are some of your favorite genres of music?

snood

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 08:05 am
Funk, 70’s rock, jazz fusion
oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 11:52 am
Thrash Metal (example: Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer)

Heavy Metal (example: Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio)

NWOBHM (example: Iron Maiden)

Power Metal (example: Helloween during their Keeper of the Seven Keys era)

Glam Metal (example: Mötley Crüe, KISS)

Technical Death Metal (example: Death, Atheist)

Speed Metal (example: Helloween during their Walls of Jericho era)

Hard Rock (example: Led Zeppelin, AC/DC)
hightor

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 02:43 pm
Classical and 2nd Viennese School string quartets and chamber works
'50s and '60s hard bop
'40s and '50s mambo and calypso
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 03:10 pm
Polka
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 03:19 pm
Dixieland
Blues
Boogie-Woogie
Mancini's film/TV scores
Whatever you want to call what Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen been doing forever

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 03:32 pm
I enjoy at least some of most genres, except rap. Don't get upset if rap's your thing. I feel the way Ray Charles did about it. He said that if he were fifteen, he would be doing rap. But, he said, it doesn't touch my heart.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 03:38 pm
Ska is pretty good. I love this version of a Deep Purple classic.

And Reel Big Fish's version of Take On Me is so much better than the boyband original.

Then again I've always liked skinhead music.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 08:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
well said ed.
I started out as a strictly jazz fan (Im not too friendly with the old groups like SPyrogyra (who were listed as jazz). Now its Country, "Big Hat country, sacred harp, Bluegrass, classical, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, big band, Rockabilly Latino, (The Beatles deserve their own corner), Reggae, .It gos on and on.
Real Music

Reply Thu 26 Dec, 2019 11:34 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Funk, 70’s rock, jazz fusion

1. I am also a huge fan of Funk. Especially during the 1970s through the mid 1980s.

2. Some of my favorite funk groups included Lakeside, Bar-kays, Con Funk Shun, Cameo,
Parliament Funkadelic, Brick, Slave, Kool & the Gang, Ohio Players, and many other funk groups.

3. I also like some of the 70s rock. It was primarily 70s pop rock.

4. Because Jazz music has so many sub-genres, I had to look up jazz fusion to see if I was familiar with the genre.

5. After looking it up, I discovered that I was somewhat familiar with jazz fusion.

6. Some of my favorite jazz fusion included the song "Chameleon" by Herbie Hancock.

7. Another favorite jazz fusion song included the song "John's Song #2" by Mahavishnu Orchestra.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 12:15 am
@oralloy,
1. Based on your post, it appears that your favorite genres are heavy metal and hard rock.

2. It also appears that you are a big fan of any sub-genres of heavy metal and hard rock.

3. Although, these genres aren't my particular cup of tea, there have been a few songs I've enjoyed and liked that may or may not be part of the genres you listed.

4. I don't know if any of the following songs would fall under any of the genres you listed, maybe hard rock.

5. One of my favorites included the song "Black Diamond" by KISS.

6. Another one of my favorites included the song "Rock and Roll all Night" by Kiss

7. Another one of my favorites included the song "I Love Rock n' Roll" by Joan Jett

8. Another one of my favorites included the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

9. Some of my other favorites included the songs ""You Give Love a Bad Name", "Livin' on a Prayer", and "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 12:42 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I started out as a strictly jazz fan (Im not too friendly with the old groups like SPyrogyra (who were listed as jazz). Now its Country, "Big Hat country, sacred harp, Bluegrass, classical, Baroque, Romantic, Impressionist, big band, Rockabilly Latino, (The Beatles deserve their own corner), Reggae, .It gos on and on.

Just a few favorites:

1. The song "Friends In Low Places" by Garth Brooks is a great country song and has become an audience participation sing along song.

2. The song "Ballad Of Jed Clampett" by Bela Fleck & The Flecktones sounds like they fused bluegrass, R&B, hip hop, and jazz all into one song.

3. The song "Now that we found love" by Third World sounds like R&B, funk, and reggae fused together

4. "Minnie the Moocher" by Cab Calloway is definitely one of all time favorite big band songs.
Real Music

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 12:48 am
@edgarblythe,

I too enjoy at least some of most genres.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 27 Dec, 2019 01:09 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Dixieland
Blues
Boogie-Woogie
Mancini's film/TV scores
Whatever you want to call what Tom Waits, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen been doing forever

Here is one of my favorite piano Boogie-Woogie video with some great improvisation.
Watching three people playing together on one piano while totally improvising the entire time they are playing.
That is a joy to watch.

blatham

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 01:22 pm
@Real Music,
Thanks man!

Not sure if you've seen this or bumped into the incredible stuff that Postmodern Jukebox has been doing (ps... the lady on the right, Morgan James, is Juilliard trained as an opera singer. Everything she does is extraordinary)

Here's another that I dearly love

Here's background data on the PMJ project. Scott Bradlee, the genius behind it, is the pianist on that last video.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 03:45 pm
@Real Music,
never knew that the Ballqd of Jed Clampett was by Bela Flek. Ive got several Flektone and Zappa playlists on Flash drives so I could play in the Boat.

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2019 03:47 pm
@Real Music,
My single fav of the Big Band beat is "Sing Sing Sing' done with the drum styling of Krupa. My best cut was done and Ive got a master done in 1948 and was an experimental LP at 33.3 rpm record
Ragman

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2020 10:47 am
@farmerman,
Of course the original performers of The Ballad of Jed Clampett was done by Flat and Scruggs. Coincidentally, I found a Bela Fleck CD with it in my collection. I love the jazz modern twist to it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2020 11:31 am

Me girlfriend looks like Peggy Mount.
What am I supposed to do?
I'm up the creek.
And never mind the paddle boys.
I haven't even got a canoe.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2020 01:14 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My single fav of the Big Band beat is "Sing Sing Sing' done with the drum styling of Krupa. My best cut was done and Ive got a master done in 1948 and was an experimental LP at 33.3 rpm record

I have it on 78 rpm's both the Louie Prima and the Benny Goodman version/and the fabulous Gene Krupa.....wow, wow
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What are some of your favorite genres of music?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:05:14