I would Like to put here a few books I read/enjoyed

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 04:04 pm
In no Particular order, of favorites.
1.The Trial- Franz Kafka
2. The Oddesey of Homer- Translated by George Herbert Palmer
3. The Shorter Poems of Henry Words Worth- Now the copy I read out of print. (given away as gift) Printed 1909 or 1910 The copy I had was from 1913.
4. Ralph Waldo Emmerson (Selected Essays,Lectures and Poems- From the Bantam Classic's
5. The Castle ( though uncompleted)- Franz Kafka
6. The Plague- Albert Camus
7. The Geneology of Morals- Nietzsche
8. Tuesdays With Morrie ( EXCELLENT)
9. For Self-Examination and Judge For Yourselves!- Soren Kierkegaard
10. Great Expectations- Charles Dickens
11. A Flower Does Not Talk- Zen Essays ( I gave away my copy, so cannot provide author Exceppt that it's introduction was one of the last works from one of his dearest friends Suzuki who died shortly after. ( Though those of you that have not read any of his work might want to check it out.
12. Nausea- Jean Paul Satre

Now I wish to state that there are several other books that I have read and studied through what they label libraian Pschosis. Including works by Confucius, The I Ching, Immanuel Kant, Edgar Allan Poe, Depak Choprra, there are just to many to list.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,035 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 04:56 pm
What did you like about Dickens? I am a huge fan of all of his work.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 05:04 pm
craven and Mellow - I am surprised to hear mention of Dickens as a fav. I read about 1/3 of all his works before I was 15, but then just figured I was weird. I loved the detail and the melodrama at times. For me the characters were very real and the dialogue just right. I doubt if I have the patience right now to read another Dickens' novel. Maybe there are books better read at a young age? Maybe those are the "ones" that stay with you through your life.
0 Replies

MellowGemini

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 05:06 pm
I enjoyed..
I thoroughly enjoyed the way he portrays through his writing a way of people trying to obtain something that is not meant to be, though how we as individuals through our own personal desire, lust or personal miscalculations of what we believe to be true in our mind at that moment strive for something which may not suit us or is actually destined for us. Though subconciously even though he points out through his writing, these things should not be gone after, he shows that he is human and it is only part of our nature to do such things, for we shall hopefully learn from them and hopefully grow.
0 Replies

Alexandra

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 05:46 pm
Wow, Mellow, that is a good choice...excellent, indeed!

Ok, my list goes like this:
1. "The Little Price" A. de Saint Exhupery
2. "Also schprach Zaratustra" F. Nietzche
3. "The Art of Love" E. Fromm
4. "Siddartha" H. Hesse
5. "The gardener" R. Tagore
6. "The Fifth Mountain" P. Coehlo
7."Call to love" Anthony de Melo
8. "Sophia's world" J. Gaarder
9. "Idiot" Dostoevski
10. "Red and black" Stendahl
and many, many more
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 09:18 am
MellowGemini - Just some info if you are interested.

A Flower Does Not Talk can be found here - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0804808848/qid=1037286873/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-0588356-9526432?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Amazon also carries The Favorite Poems of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, though not the early edition.

I have an insurmountable list. I have thought about learning Portuguese just to read Jose Saramago without translation!

Alexandra - I am now reading Sofie's World. Just started so no opinion yet.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 07:09 am
Not so new book
I'm not sure why, but I usually prefer non-fiction to fiction, however, a few years back I read "Cold Mountain" and I couldn't put it down. My habit is to read very quickly to find out what is happening, but this book is so beautifully written, I forced my self to read at a slower pace to savor the beauty of the writing. I read recently that a movie is being filmed about this book, and was really surprised to hear they are filming in Romania. The book is about a wounded Civil War soldier and his quest to get back home. Really worthwhile, if you get the chance.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:38 pm
MellowGimini
Did you happen to see the movie made based
on Great Expectations? It had Gwyneth Paltrow
and Ethan Hawke - was very good I thought
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 4 Dec, 2002 10:55 pm
Books that I enjoy
thoroughly

1. The Prophet, K Gibran
2. The Road Less Traveled, M S Peck
3. Walden Pond, Thoreau
3. Zen & The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
4. Women Who Run With The Wolves, C.Estes
5. The Rainmaker, J Grisham
6. Watership Down
7. The Velveteen Rabbit
8. The Stand, S King (sorry)
but it is just too good to leave out
9. Gone With The Wind,
10.The Godfather, M Puzo
11. Everything Pearl Buck ever wrote.
I could go on for days,
perhaps I will hmmmmm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Lorna

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 02:04 pm
Here's my rather eclectic top ten, in no particular order-

The Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood- Rebecca Wells

The Shadow- Neil Gunn

Sunset Song- Lewis Graasic Gibbon

Emotionally Wierd- Kate Akinson

Godfather- Mario Pyzo

Great Expectations- Charles Dickens

Jayne Eyre- Bronte

How to Make an American Quilt- Whitney Otto

St Maybe- Anne Tyler
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
OK, How about two categories
(INPO)

CHILDRENS:

1. Aesops' Fables

2. Harriet The Spy

3. James and The Giant Peach

4. The Pydrain Chronicles (Black Cauldron, etc. Did the whole series in ONE summer.)

5. From The Mixed-Up Files of Basil E. Frankweiler (Koningsburg attended my High School for a year!)

6. Wrinkle In Time

ADULT:

1. Chomsky Trilogy

2. Cold Mountain

3. The Man Who Listens to Horses
0 Replies

MellowGemini

Reply Sun 29 Dec, 2002 11:49 pm
Thank you all for your support and recognition of books...
I have been off- line for a brief while now. Trying to recollect and dissect my previous dissent. Not to mention the fact of needing solitude. Thank you all for your addition to my topic.... Sophies World is excellent, though I cannot discredit many of your other books mentioned. They all plant a seed in the mind. The flower it grows simply lies in the soil of the brain of the translator. I have read allot of books over time since I was 4 to be exact. Though I have found out that simply they lay the foreground for you to turn at the right fork in the road, and if you don't do not blame the book. look more towards yourself learn looking back...... And maybe write your own book. Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy Exclamation Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

decemberkid

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2003 07:53 pm
sophie's world
by jostein gaarder

in the grip of grace, when god whispers your name
by max lucado

the street lawyer
by john grisham

momo
by michael ende

thoughts, pensees
by blaise pascal

y'all enjoy.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 10:36 pm
Does anyone else suffer from the same disorder I have? I can't see a list of books without wanting to read all the ones I haven't read so far? Remember when that list of the top 100 came out a few years ago? My hands shook, I had to hide my credit card in the kitchen, restrain myself from clicking into Amazon and ordering... I'm such a Dickens nut that I had to replace my entire set (formerly my father's entire set), which was disintegrating from age and use, with an entirely new set from the OU Press. Talk about gluttony. Am the same way about Trollope -- anyone else a Trollope fan?
0 Replies