Not Going Away, Barr says spying

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 05:46 pm
Quote:
AG Barr: ‘First Time in History’ That Incumbent Gov’t Spying ‘Has Been Done to a Presidential Campaign’

Quote:
During the Dec. 10 interview with NBC News correspondent Pete Williams, the host asked Barr, “As a policy matter, why not open an investigation on a thin pretext? I guess on the one hand you can say, it’s a presidential campaign, it’s very sensitive, you need better evidence. On the other hand, you can say, it’s a presidential campaign, we have to be very careful, there could be a threat to our political process.”

Barr replied, “I think probably from a civil liberties standpoint, the greatest danger to our free system is that the incumbent government use the apparatus of the state – principally the law enforcement agencies and the intelligence agencies -- both to spy on political opponents but also to use them in a way that could affect the outcome of the election."

“As far as I’m aware," said Barr, "this is the first time in history that this has been done to a presidential campaign, and the use of these counter-intelligence techniques against a presidential campaign."

I hope it goes up to Obama, we know he was briefed on it, thanks to the IG.
https://cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/ag-barr-first-time-history-incumbent-govt-spying-has-been-done-presidential

maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:06 pm
@coldjoint,
Let's get the score straight

- An independent investigation finds that the FBI investigation was justified and not driven by political bias.

- Attorney General Barr, hand picked by Trump because he has more loyalty to Trump than he has integrity or love of country, disputes this.

... and you believe Barr? Facts don't mean anything to you people.

coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:09 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Facts don't mean anything to you people.

They mean plenty to me. You do not have any that could possibly change what is coming. Also when did Barr and Trump meet for the first time? Do you have any idea?
Quote:
Although Barr did not back Trump in the 2016 election, he did share the view that the DOJ should have done more to investigate Hillary Clinton’s use of a private server for government email. He told the New York Times in November 2017 that there was nothing “inherently wrong” with Trump calling for an investigation into Clinton. However, he did say that there should not necessarily be an investigation simply because a president calls for one.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-william-barr-trumps-pick-for-attorney-general
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:21 pm
@coldjoint,
It is a fact that Trump chose Barr to be attorney general. He did so after Jeff Sessions stood up to Trump (as Attorneys general are supposed to do) when Trump pushed him to cross a line he thought was unethical.

Barr has been pretty compliant, doing what Trump has asked of him.

The fact is that he is not independent. He is saying what Trump wants him to say.

The IG report, on the other hand, is independent.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:21 pm
@maxdancona,
-
Quote:
An independent investigation

It is not an independent investigation it is a government investigation by an Obama appointee that is trying to get away with as little damage as possible.

You are naive to think any differently.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:30 pm
@coldjoint,
What would it take for you to change your mind on this? The IG report says that the investigation was appropriate and not politically motivated, but that serious mistakes were made in its commission. This was not a one sided report, although it did refute the Trumpian conspiracy theory.

If the report had said that there was a political motivation, I would have accepted that.

That is the difference between rational thought and rabid partisanship. Is there any evidence that anyone could produce that would get you to change your mind?

There is quite a bit that could change my mind...

coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:34 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The IG report says that the investigation was appropriate and not politically motivated

That is nice. It still will not change what Durham and Barr will prove. What part of that don't you understand?
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:35 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
It still will not change what Durham and Barr will prove.

When that happens, I will come back here and admit you are right.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:36 pm
@maxdancona,

Quote:

Fine with me.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 07:49 pm
@coldjoint,
Sure... but on one side we have political partisans who are unable to, or unwilling to, defy their leader. On the other side we have an in depth report as the result of an in depth investigation by law enforcement professionals.

You still haven't answered if there is anything that could possibly change your mind?
coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 08:48 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
On the other side we have an in depth report as the result of an in depth investigation by law enforcement professionals.

What a coincidence. Law enforcement professionals are going to jail.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2019 08:50 pm
Quote:
You still haven't answered if there is anything that could possibly change your mind?

I had no idea you would be back so soon, you said.
Quote:
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Not Going Away, Barr says spying
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:59:54