Favorite Lines From Beatles Songs

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:49 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
kickycan wrote:
So...how does one take love? Is the word take being used in the sense of tolerating something? Is it like you can only take up to a certain amount of love, and when you've taken all you can stand, that is equal to the love you make?

Hmmm...

They're talking about the love you take with you into the next world...that's why the song is called The End.....If you have given much love in this world you get to take much love with you...if you have not you don't ...... it's a karma statement ....get it now?

You need to smoke more obviously Laughing

AHA!...finally I get it!

Thanks!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 12:50 pm
I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:08 pm
He blew his mind out in a car,
He didn't notice that the lights had changed,
A crowd of people stood and stared,
They'd seen his face before,
Nobody was really sure if he was from the House of Lords.

Love the lyrics to the whole song ... hard to pick just one piece.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 01:33 pm
Linkat wrote:
I love Maxwell - Bang Bang Maxwell's Silverhammer came down upon her headÂ….Bang Bang Maxwell's Silverhammer made sure that she was dead"

Love those lines.

Coolest thing about that song is what it's about...

The Beatles (John especially) were friendly with a British playwright named Joe Orton, who'd written them a screenplay that was never done (apparently a bit too homoerotic -- it had all the Beatles sleeping in the same bed). Orton's plays had a bit of the absurd about them, often full of over-the-top characters that might have been appreciated by turn-of-the-century playwright/artist/addict/freak Alfred Jarry, who rode his bicycle around Paris drunk and heavily armed, invented the imaginary science of Pataphysics before dying very young.

Orton was murdered by his lover Kenneth Halliwell (I think I've got his name right), who bludgeoned him over the head repeatedly with, I believe, a hammer. Thus...

Joan (Joe) who studies pataphysical science is killed by the silver hammer of (Kenneth) Maxwell (Halliwell).
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:40 am
Wow, that IS a pretty cool back story. I never knew that. Cool. I believe I've heard of Pataphysics. I think it's based on the theory that I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:50 am
Hey, I just looked up the lyrics for "Come Together", and in the first few links I found, this is the lyric they have. "hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease". Now, I always thought it was "hold you in his arms 'til you can feel his disease".

Aren't those the words? And if they aren't, shouldn't they be? Seriously. "hold you in his armchair?" That's just dumb.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 02:54 am
from woman, by john lennon, I think one lone phrase comes to mind:

I love you, yeah yeah, now and forever...
0 Replies

Rod3

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 05:49 pm
When the night is cloudy, there is still a light that shines on me,
Shine until tomorrow, Let it be.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:36 pm
As far as their musical styles were concerned, John was the gritty rocker, and Paul the "pop" musician. They didnt see eye to eye on many things, and were always in competition with each other, to see who could write the most succesful songs.
This probably forced the best out of both of them, and was the main creative driving force that kept the Beatles at the top of the charts.
John would come in with a song, and Paul would then shut himself away until he came up with one that was just as good, or better. And vice versa.

When it was all falling apart towards the end, John and Paul could not stand to be in the same room. Paul was the big PR man in the band, and tried every trick in the book to keep the band together, but John just reckoned that they had all sold their souls to the music Industry, and were being exploited. He suspected Paul as being part of the "behind the scenes" scheming.

When John released his solo material, his "Imagine" album contained a track that many think was a venting of his anger regarding the final days of the Beatles, and anything else that pissed him off at that time.

One section of the song is thought to be directly aimed at Paul, who John always thought of as a "Mummy's boy".

Song:- Give me some Truth.

Relevant lines:-
"No short-haired, yellow-bellied son-of-tricky-dicky's
Gonna mother hubbard soft soap me with just a bucket full of soap
It's money for dope
Money for rope "

Just to make his point, he repeated these lines three times in the song.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
As far as their musical styles were concerned, John was the gritty rocker, and Paul the "pop" musician. They didnt see eye to eye on many things, and were always in competition with each other, to see who could write the most succesful songs.

large grain of truth in what you say, but it's an oversimplification. John had a sensitive side--In My Life is a wonderful illustration--while Helter Skelter has to be one of the grittiest pieces they recorded.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:46 pm
........and the track "How do you sleep?" on the same album, just about sums up his feelings towards Paul at that time.

http://www.johnlennon.it/lennon_lyrics/john_lennon_imagine_eng.htm#HowDoYouSleep
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 06:53 pm
yitwail wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

large grain of truth in what you say, but it's an oversimplification. John had a sensitive side--In My Life is a wonderful illustration--while Helter Skelter has to be one of the grittiest pieces they recorded.

Absolutely agree. John also came out with "jealous guy" and many other "sensitive" tracks, but basically he was a rocker at heart, and IMO, the genius of the group. Paul was/is immensely talented, but much more "middle of the road".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
kickycan wrote:
Hey, I just looked up the lyrics for "Come Together", and in the first few links I found, this is the lyric they have. "hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease". Now, I always thought it was "hold you in his arms 'til you can feel his disease".

Aren't those the words? And if they aren't, shouldn't they be? Seriously. "hold you in his armchair?" That's just dumb.

I always thought like you on that lyric. Learn something new every day.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:37 am
One verse that hits home a lot more than when I was in my teens, is taken from "In my life".........so true:-

"There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I've loved them all "
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 03:49 am
......and the ultimate song for Stalkers.......

No reply:-

"If I were you, I'd realize that I..... love you more... than any other guy,
And I'll forgive, the lies that I..... heard before... when you gave me no reply.

Spooky!
0 Replies

Tino

Reply Mon 27 Jun, 2005 05:58 pm
Do you know I heard the Starson45 version of "No reply" first and it made me order the original from "Oldies Unlimited" (Whatever happened to them?), but I was disappointed in it, John doesn't seem to get into the song at all.

My favourite would be something from Across the universe, just the opening:

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup... Very Happy
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 07:34 pm
I think George Harrison deserves more credit that what he's getting. Here's the opening lines from Taxman, short, sharp to the point:

Let me tell you how it will be
There's one for you, nineteen for me
'Cause I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman

As far as stalking songs go, Run For Your Life:

Well I'd rather see you dead, little girl
Than to be with another man
You better keep your head, little girl
Of I won't know where I am
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 03:38 pm
"Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream" from "Tomorrow Never Knows" on the "Revolver" album.
0 Replies

BlaiseDaley

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
Tomorrow Never Knows is one of my all time favs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 09:36 pm
Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me

I've felt like that for a few of my girlfriends.

I read somewhere that Frank Sinatra said that "Something" was the greatest love song ever.
0 Replies