Offensive people

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 04:02 am
Have you ever come across a person who is offensive? Now, I'm not talking about who is specifically behaviourly offensive. Just someone whose look, sound, or odour just sickens you?

I'm obviously thinking about one person. This is a guy who myself and my colleagues are sentenced to work with. He's a trades assistant, which is a nice way of saying labourer. I'm not a particularly "pretty" guy, and I make it a point to not judge people on their looks, so I suppose his pinched bulldog features, 5 foot tall frame and 6 foot girth could be overlooked (if they were possible to miss!).
Some of you know, that I work in a rather dirty factory. Unlike office workers who wear clean clothes every day (I hope), we generally take a set of work clothes with us on Monday morning (or when ever our shift pattern starts), change into them at the beginning of the work day, and then change out of them at the end of the day and put them in our lockers. We'll wear them each day for the period of our roster (4 or 5 days). There's been times when I've screwed up my nose at the odour of my own clothes, if I've had a particularly hot and sweaty day the day before. The gentleman in question however, has an odour which will knock out most people unlucky enough to be within 60 feet downwind, at 7:00 am on a Monday morning, even in clothes that are new out of the box.
When we're not on a job, we spend our time in a conference type room, with comfortable chairs, a kitchenette, refridgerator (and radio, TV and DVD player). At the most there'd be about 9 people occupying this room. The "gentleman" in question fell asleep in one of the chairs last week, and managed to clear the room. The sound of his snoring was so offensive, that those of us present moved ourselves into an adjacent office type area that we've got, and closed the door. Our supervisor asked us why we were all out there, and it fell upon him to go and wake the guy up and tell him that his snoring was offending people. (Remember, this is a group of long term factory workers here, well versed in working in sometimes horrendous conditions-not a bunch of sorority girls).
Not being bad enough to listen to when he's asleep, it's quite common for him to make grunting snoring type noises when he's awake! This is without doubt the most offensive human being I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. My own private "polling" has discovered that it's a unanimous opinion, shared by all. Anyone else ever been unlucky enough to have a similar experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,969 • Replies: 41
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:03 am
Nah, my workplace is very boring compared to yours, Wilso. No snorers, nose pickers, farters, loud belchers, etc., what-so-ever! Razz
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:07 am
We've got all that and more!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:10 am
Really! Surprised
How come so many in just one place?

Now, if we're talking objectional behaviour, I could name a few names. But of course I won't!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:11 am
Laughing msolga you are so funny at times.

Wilso, the only offensive people that I recall, were those who were plain stupid. Ignorance is curable--stupidity is terminal.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:18 am
It is, it is, Letty! I think I'd prefer the smelly snorer in Wilso's workplace to being surrounded by a gang of stupidos.

You're still sleepless in Florida, I see, Letty. Too much coffee tonight?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:33 am
Well, msolga, It has been this way for the past week. I simply cannot sleep for various reasons.

Wilso, did you ever go to Thailand?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:44 am
I'm sending a lullaby right now, Letty. You'll notice that you're feeling drowsy all of a sudden ..... Very Happy
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:45 am
Wilso - from this
"5 foot tall frame and 6 foot girth.."
and this
"it's quite common for him to make grunting snoring type noises when he's awake!"

it seems the man is suffering from a common side-effect of obesity called sleep apnea (parenthesis here to say I'm no medic but work with insurance statistics) and under no circumstances should he be allowed to handle machinery: these people literally fall asleep for brief periods of time during their waking hours.

There must be a medic on call in the factory - if you and others report these symptoms the man will get examined and probably moved somewhere away from any equipment.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:50 am
Letty wrote:
Well, msolga, It has been this way for the past week. I simply cannot sleep for various reasons.

Wilso, did you ever go to Thailand?

I leave on the 29th June!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 05:56 am
Perfect, Wilso! Just when it'll be freezing here! Enjoy! Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:01 am
Wilso: Has this guy got a buddy? Anyone who could give him the highsign? Or someone who could just poke him in the ribs when he sounds off with his snoring? Someone in that unanimous group of workers has got to take the lead.

We had a guy like that in the USAF. A nice guy, but weird about cleanliness. He used to sprinkle Aqua Velva on his clothes rather than actually wash them and I don't think he saw the inside of a shower very often. One night we were playing poker and he sat in for awhile. "Phew," someone said, "who stinks?" No one else said anything except to ante up. After the hand he got up and headed down the hall to the showers.

Hey, and I just want to add how good your writing has become, Wilso.

Joe(What do I know?)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:09 am
The AUstralian Board of Statistics,{which appears to be similar to our census bureau) reports on some things that make me wonder about Australians like>

Since 1996, approx 30 Australians have died by electrocution . Seems these people were zapped while watering their Christmas trees with the lights plugged in.

Since 2002, 19 Australians have died from eating Christmas tree ornaments

IN the last 2 years alone (And this has me really shocked) 543Australians have been treated at casualtry (I suppose this is Aussie for ER) after opening beer bottles with either their teeth of eye socket.
THE FACT that somebody can open a beer bottle with their eye socket is really cool

In 1997 8 Australians suffered skull fractures while throwing up into porcelain toilets.

3 Australians (on average, ) die each year testing 9 volt batteries by using their tongues.

http:[email protected]
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:25 am
farmerman wrote:
Since 1996, approx 30 Australians have died by electrocution . Seems these people were zapped while watering their Christmas trees with the lights plugged in.

So? It gets very hot & dry here at Christmas time. :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:32 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Wilso: Has this guy got a buddy? Anyone who could give him the highsign? Or someone who could just poke him in the ribs when he sounds off with his snoring? Someone in that unanimous group of workers has got to take the lead.

We had a guy like that in the USAF. A nice guy, but weird about cleanliness. He used to sprinkle Aqua Velva on his clothes rather than actually wash them and I don't think he saw the inside of a shower very often. One night we were playing poker and he sat in for awhile. "Phew," someone said, "who stinks?" No one else said anything except to ante up. After the hand he got up and headed down the hall to the showers.

Hey, and I just want to add how good your writing has become, Wilso.

Joe(What do I know?)Nation

He has been told on numerous occasions.

As for him being moved away from equipment, he's been working around heavy industrial machinery for 30 years or more.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
msolga wrote:

That was the whole idea! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:35 am
farmerman wrote:

IN the last 2 years alone (And this has me really shocked) 543Australians have been treated at casualtry (I suppose this is Aussie for ER) after opening beer bottles with either their teeth of eye socket.
THE FACT that somebody can open a beer bottle with their eye socket is really cool

http:[email protected]

That's usually the result of a macho drunk pub contest.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:42 am
Wilso wrote:
msolga wrote:

That was the whole idea! Very Happy

Of course! Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:44 am
Wilso, I am in awe. Having an entire nation founded entirely on the definition of "party" is, to me, a beautiful thing. Id move there if I werent such a pussy about deadly venomous creatures.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 06:44 am
msolga wrote:
Really! Surprised
How come so many in just one place?

Although it's no longer the case, this is a place which historically had difficulty in attracting employees. There used to be a saying in Wollongong-"if you couldn't find a job anywhere else, you went and worked at the steelworks." They took what they could get.
From the fifties through to the seventies, it was largely an immigrant workforce. Many of them, like this guy, are still there.

I don't know why it is, but unlike office people, who I understand commonly change jobs at roughly five year intervals, industrial settings seem to have a far higher number of longterm/lifetime employees. It may have something to do with the specific nature of our work skills. I've been there for almost 23 years. There's only one tradesman in the shift crews where I work, who has been with the company for less than 10 years.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Offensive people
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:32:53