Guerrilla gardeners launching attack on Winnipeg

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
Winnipeg gardeners sneak flowers onto public streets

Last Updated Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:48:23 EDT
CBC News

Guerrilla gardeners are launching an attack on Winnipeg's downtown, filling empty city planters with blooms to try to cut down on urban ugliness.

Jennifer Bishop is one of a handful of women who fan out to pull weeds from the abandoned planters and replace them with bedding plants from their own gardens.

"I try to do it when there's no people around, or they're otherwise occupied," Bishop said as she let a CBC camera crew follow her around recently.

"The city deserves to be beautiful, because it's a wonderful city.

"You don't necessarily want people to know that you've done it," she added. "It's just your gift to them – and sometimes the best gifts are anonymous."

Money for public planting is limited

The City of Winnipeg says it uses money from the parks and open spaces budget to plant flowers in planters along major streets each year.

That budget is limited, however, so some planters remain empty when city planting crews pass by.

Municipal leaders have no intention of cracking down on the guerrilla gardeners, says public information and communications officer Bob McDonald.

"I think it's very much an enhancement of what we're able to provide within our budgets," he said. "This is a situation where the more flowers that are planted, the better it is."

Winnipeggers certainly appreciate the work of Bishop and her friends.

"I think that it's really nice to have the nice flowers," said Lorinda Vopni, who passed by just after Bishop had finished watering the new plants in one urn. "It's like a backyard feeling in the middle of the city."

"It brightens up the day, because you see something growing," agreed Roger Leclerc. "After the long, cold winter, it's good to see something growing."

Source[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,500 • Replies: 9
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 10:55 am
Good for them! There was just an article describing how some Bostonians were doing the same sort of thing. They worked on neighborhood parks which were established many years ago, but hadn't been kept up.

I've been doing work like this in my own neighborhood. Offering my limited expertise to pick and plant greenery that other neighbors have paid for. It feels really good.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 12:42 pm
Hey, that's great! A few flowers, etc, always brighten up anything. Hopefully, the plants are left alone and not pulled up by "destructos".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
Guerilla weeders could help in some places too...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
Guerilla weeders could help in some places too...
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Pushing this thread foreward, as I've mixed views on guerilla gardening. I think some of it is good, and some of it is horrid. I've seen wildly wrong trees planted in tiny parking strips, and that's just the start. How to ruin a landscape with good intentions...

I was originally rather taken by the idea of guerilla gardening, but got over it.

So, I'll promote a new idea, educate your guerilla gardeners.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:44 pm
@ossobuco,
re the guerilla part - individual people and cities (etc) do have property rights. I can loathe property owners as well as the next, and can understand guerilla art viscerally - I can also be put off by various displays of righteousness from pompass promoters of their own idea.

It's an interesting subject, wanna talk?
ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 03:50 pm
@ossobuco,
BoGoWo's pretty solid in the guerilla gardening movement locally. I was supposed to be at a planting today, but life took over.

Clary's nephew has written a good book on the subject.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 04:07 pm
@ehBeth,
I'd be interested. I'm not against intelligent guerilla gardening, or guerilla design, etc., depending on circumstances. I've seen some either amusing or wonderful examples, and useless examples, which are of no matter, but also some baddies, which I don't want to get into re the people involved. I remember BoGoWo, but have no idea of his knowledge re smart planting.

Don't worry, I can rail against city parks and recs, or whatever, as easily.

My interest is in smart planting and associated considerations.

On the other hand, if you came to my place and planted some exotic weed in my parking strip, I'd be all over you, legally and otherwise. That happened at my old loved house, major horrible choice by the 'well regarded tree types' (last I looked them up, they're singing better planting tunes now) installed after I sold (I was, I think, the only one who said 'no'.) Of course, I knew the plant.

I get a little tired, over the years, of the cutesie flower up shitteroo. Fine for pots/containers... but more tired of bad selection for trees.

I await what happens with the california sycamores on Venice Blvd, in Venice, should I live that long for them to develop their natural ways. But then, those weren't planted by guerillas. Some committee thinking NATIVE!!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that was a tangent, as the guerillas didn't plant those native sycamores in the wrong place. And I'm all for native, just not those, there in a median strip.

0 Replies