"O Sole Mio" and "It's Now or Never": The Same Song?

kickycan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:27 pm
Wow, interesting. Thanks, everyone, for your participation in my thread. I had no idea that's what is was, or that there were so many songs like that.

Now that I think about it, I know of another one. Did you guys know that Britney Spears' hit song "Oops I did it again" was actually an old negro spiritual called "Old Buckethead's Sorrow", reworked with the lyric added?

Crazy, huh?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:38 pm
"Stranger in Paradise" from the old play Kismet, was based on a theme from Prince Igor, by Alexander Borodin.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 02:54 pm
You just beat me to it, Phoenix, since it popped immediately into my mind, my just having seen American Ballet Theater dance the "Polovetsian Dances", the Prince Igor segment containing that melody.

A related bit of trivia which I find interesting refers to the old 20's tune "Yes, We Have No Bananas, We Have No Bananas Today". The first four words follow "Hallelujah" from the "Hallelujah Chorus". Add "bananas", followed by "Oh, bring back my Bonnie to me" from "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Unless your old enough to be familiar with "Yes, We Have No Bananas", you'll have to take my word for it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:07 pm
Then there is always the case of "He's so Fine" becoming "My Sweet Lord".
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:10 pm
I once saw a one woman show with Tovah Feldshuh. For those who are not familiar with her, she has often played a defense attorney on "Law & Order".

Anyhow, she was talking about "It Ain't Necessarily So", from "Porgy and Bess", by George Gershwin. She said that the tune was taken from a Hebrew prayer. Sure enough, when I sung it in my head, it was!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:12 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Then there is always the case of "He's so Fine" becoming "My Sweet Lord".

I believe there was a law suit about this, Joe. I can't recall the outcome, tho...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:21 pm
Paul Simon's "American Tune" is based on Salve Caput Cruentatum
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 03:53 pm
A long time ago I ran a coffeehouse. We were amateurs singing our music and a lot of covers too, but our thing was trying to get new music out there. One night, this guy got up and sang uh, er, perfectly fine words over the melody of "It Ain't Necessarily So." Perfectly fine, meaning they fit, but they were not the lyrics from Porgy and Bess. I don't know who was stunned more, we in the audience who were hearing this obvious rip-off or the nameless singer who was insistent that the melody was his and his alone. There were words exchanged with audience members.

When one of the regulars started the next set with It Ain't Necessarily So,
(the real one), the guy's eyes got as big as saucers, he left and we never saw him again.

Joe(and now, live and in color)Nation
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 11:04 pm
Well, since nobody caught it (or maybe you all just didn't care, but that possibility is too horrible for me to imagine), I have to 'fess up. Britney Spears' song "Oops I did it again" is not taken from an old negro spiritual named "Old Buckethead's Sorrow". I was just screwing with you guys.

"Old Buckethead's Sorrow" is a damn cool fake song name though, don't you think?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 18 Jun, 2005 08:27 am
Good morning, kicky. Never heard of that fake book, but here's another twin:

Flow Gently Sweet Afton and Away in a Manger.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 11:09 am
"Old Buckethead's Sorrow" is, indeed, a way cool name for an old blues tune, Joe!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:22 pm
Hey, d'art. I think you're fencing up the wrong tree. That wasn't Joe--that was kicky and he, too, has said ciao. Never heard of "Old Buckethead's Sorrow", I'm sorry to say.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:33 pm
Well, for five hundred A2K points who covered "To Anacreon in Heaven," and with what song?

Joe(You Aussies,put your hands down.)Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:39 pm
Ah, Joe, that's soooooooooooooo easy. The tune to The Star Spangled Banner....an old English drinking song if I recall.

Aussies? hmmmm.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:08 pm
Right. It's 500 to nothing in favor of Letty.

I was afraid the Ozmens would answer incorrectly. They are still singing
"To Anacreon in Heaven," with it's orginal words.

Joe(so I'm told)Nation
0 Replies

Lewkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:17 pm
@Synonymph,
Yes, they are one and the same tunefully as is Tony Martin's, There's No Tomorrow. Elvis heard Martin's version and asked for new lyrics to be written.
0 Replies

Lewkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:24 pm
@George,
George Harrison's, My Sweet Lord was found to be a copyright infringement of, He's So Fine. He lost the case but swore it was not intentional.
0 Replies

Lewkat

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2020 06:26 pm
@Letty,
Domenico Modungio did the original. I may have spelled his last name incorrectly. At any rate, his version is all Italian.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2020 06:51 am
@kickycan,
Both of them are a rip off of the Cornetto advert.

0 Replies