McDonald’s Halloween decoration offensive?

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 07:28 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHmFRJwXYAUntlX.jpg

A McDonald’s apologized for putting up Halloween decorations depicting a person being hanged from a tree.

“More like a lynching, but you could have taken it either way.”

The small image, which was plastered to the front counter, appeared next to more traditional seasonal decor such as jack-o-lanterns, spooky trees, and bats.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2019/10/24/north-andover-mcdonalds-offensive-halloween-decorations

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 07:35 am
I know each person has to determine what is offensive to them.

It is offensive to me - but more in the face of suicide. Maybe because I have known someone who killed them self by hanging.

I do not see where hanging and Halloween go hand and hand - and also for a McD where their target audience is young children - I wouldn't expect overly scary or creepy items.

My take they just put up the decorations saw the pumpkins and never really gave any thought or maybe did not notice the hanging character - at least I would like to hope it was more an oversight than thinking it was a good decoration for kids.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 08:37 am
It is in bad taste on several levels. I don't see a sinister motive but it shouldn't be there.
engineer

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 08:45 am
@edgarblythe,
With Edgar on that. I don't see that adding the figure did anything for the image Halloween wise but certainly made it in bad taste.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 09:27 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I do not see where hanging and Halloween go hand and hand - and also for a McD where their target audience is young children - I wouldn't expect overly scary or creepy items.

You mean the hanging of witches in Salem? And the centuries of the symbolism of the gallows and criminals? And that Halloween ain't only for young children (a mega$ billion thing that has been happening for ... a few decades)?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 25 Oct, 2019 01:50 pm
This is in the category of What-were-you-thinking? for McDonald’s.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » McDonald’s Halloween decoration offensive?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:16:32