The REAL Pink Floyd to reunite!

Gargamel

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:26 am
That's one album in my collection that has stayed with me since high school, through all my changing tastes.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 10:33 am
How did I miss this thread?

I only saw a snippet of the Live 8 concert on VH1, and they sounded great. So good to hear Roger's voice singing "Comfortably Numb." I envy those of you who were able to see them perform live years ago.

I need to get some of those bootleg videos ....

Hard to say which album to buy first: DSOTM of course, but Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Final Cut, ... where to stop?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:34 am
What's your favorite Pink Floyd song?

Mine's "Wish you were queer." Oh how I wish...how I wish you were queeeer. It's just two lost souls, playing with my balls, queer after queer.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOL!!!!
LOLOL!!!
ROTFLMFAO!!!!
I SO FUNNY! MEE LUV YOO LONG TIME!!!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:49 am
Is that from the "Another Prick in the Wall" album?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:43 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
How did I miss this thread?

I only saw a snippet of the Live 8 concert on VH1, and they sounded great. So good to hear Roger's voice singing "Comfortably Numb." I envy those of you who were able to see them perform live years ago.

I need to get some of those bootleg videos ....

Hard to say which album to buy first: DSOTM of course, but Wish You Were Here, The Wall, Final Cut, ... where to stop?

i thought you'd dig it tico.

it was kinda cool seeing the lineup scaled back to when i saw them on the dark side tour in '73. with the exception that dave was the sole guitarist. it was the first time they used a quadraphonic p.a. system and i talked the sound guy into letting me sit on the front edge of the platform they set up in the middle of the hall for mixing sound.

it was staggering to say the least. the louisville convention center only held something like 4 or 5 thousand, so it was relatively intimate compared to the rose bowl (never see a band there, i tell ya..)

tico: of course all the albums are great, but if you want to check out the various stages of the band's sound, "echos" is a fairly respectable best of collection, remastered of course.

btw, mtv has apparently seen the error of their ways after a barrage of complaints about cutting up performances to make room for pimple cream commercials and is going to air full versions of most of the stuff. floyd and the who were specifically mentioned.

yay !!!!
0 Replies

imnidiot

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:01 pm
Pink Floyd reunited
Yes, Floyd did reunite for live8, but in an interview with David Gilmour just before the performance, he stated that there were no plans to tour or write any new music. David is currently planning the release of a solo project in the fall. David Crosby and Graham Nash sing on one of the tracks. Maybe with their differences settled, they may at some point perform again, or write. As for Syd, He's still alive, but I don't know about well. There is a considerable amount of his solo music still available, although it is quite bizzare.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:16 pm
Found it!

EFFERVESCING ELEPHANT -- Syd Barrett (aged 16)

G G7
An effervescing elephant with tiny eyes and great big trunk

C C7
once whispered to the tiny ear, the ear of one in fear, you hear

G
that by next June he'd die, Oh yeah!

D
And the tiger would roam, the little one said,

D7
"Oh my goodness -- I must stay at home!

G G7
And every time I hear a growl, I'll know the tiger's on the prowl,

C C7
And I'll be really safe, you know, the elephant, he told me so."

G
Everyone was nervous, Oh yeah!

D D7
And the message was spread to zebra, mongoose and the dirty hippopotamus

G G7
who wallowed in the mud and chewed his spicy hippo-plankton food

C
and tended to ignore the word,

C7 G
referring to a survey I heard of stupid water bison

D
Oh yeah! And all the jungle took fright,

D7
and ran around for all the day and the night,

G
But all in vain because, you see, the tiger came and said,

G7 C
"Who me? You know I wouldn't hurt not one of you --

C G
I much prefer something to chew, and you're all too scant."

C D G
Oh yeah! He ate the elephant.

http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/showthread.php?t=293
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:26 pm
I really dig Syd's solo stuff. I'm not sure if it's up anymore, but Rolling Stone just reprinted an interview with Syd from the early 70s, online.

I am jealous of Don'tTreadOnMe who saw Floyd in their prime.

I saw some of the Who on TV--and ****, not as shabby as I thought they'd be cut in half. I guess good songs that are hard to screw up will give you some longevity.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 08:38 am
I've seen the Who twice over the last few years...they put on a great show actually.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:42 pm
Gargamel wrote:
I really dig Syd's solo stuff. I'm not sure if it's up anymore, but Rolling Stone just reprinted an interview with Syd from the early 70s, online.

I am jealous of Don'tTreadOnMe who saw Floyd in their prime.

I saw some of the Who on TV--and ****, not as shabby as I thought they'd be cut in half. I guess good songs that are hard to screw up will give you some longevity.

syd's solo stuff is pretty creative, perhaps an aquired taste for some. certainly is a document of the lysergic drenched times. Shocked

there are a couple legit releases of very early floyd live in london 66 or 67. but, if you don't mind being just a little bit larcenous, you can install limewire on the computer and do a "video" search for pink floyd. usually there are files of early music "films" for arnold layne, emily, stellar od, and such. even found one of the guys noodleing around at abbey road. a very weird sequence of syd's first trip in 1966.

if ya have never seen it, "live at pompei" is vintage floyd of the 1970-71 variety.

put that together with "the making of dark side of the moon", a recently released documentary, and you've pretty much got the picture.

if you are interested in similar stuff, check out a 70's band called hawkwind. i never payed them much attention back then ( too much led zep in the diet, i guess ...), but recently lw'ed a couple of their albums and was pretty intrigued. they were sort of primal ooze kasabian ( fantastic new band !!). hawkwind was also the first big group that featured lemme, later motorhead.

my turn to be jealous... never got to see the 'oo live. Sad
0 Replies