THUNDER BOOMERS ! ! !

littlek

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:35 pm
We've been listening to that story all day......
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:34 pm
Quote:
RP - I think it's the boomers that set off the alarms, not the bolts. But, I could be wrong. Actually, I very well may be wrong. What does it? Is it an electrical charge or a shock wave?

i always consider the bolt & the boom to be one in the same.
as to what causes it to set off alarms?
hellfino...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:52 pm
nasty stohm rolling thru downtown beantown.
boomers, heavy downpour, and 40 mph gusts.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/1033/holycrap6nb.jpg

not going home anytime soon Cool
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
We had rumble-grumble, but no pyrotechnics. Just a drizzly day to make the heat a little more annoying.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:12 pm
I'm in Annapolis and have been hearing thunder for about an hour now. Sometimes the storms get close but pass us by. Something to do with the fact we are so close to the bay. I like them unless the power goes off. I've become a slave to modern comforts and get grumpy when we lose power. Last week I read newspapers by candlelight waiting for the power to come back on. Wound up with freaking wax on the end table because it was dark and I didn't notice the buildup in the container.

But I do like thunderstorms, however, I don't go outside for fear of lightening. I mean I like to see it, I just don't want to be the target of a strike. Does that mean I can't be a heathen?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:15 pm
I'll take any reduction in heat I can get. It's been brutal.

glitterbag, I know what you mean. We've had three major outages since we moved here. It always takes me way longer than it should to realize I can't while away the time until the power comes back doing stuff on the computer...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:13 pm
We just got a typical August late afternoon storm. A sudden cloud cover, a torential down pour, and thunder and lightning. Then a little sun before it clouded back up again. I keep thinking it's much later than it is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:21 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Does that mean I can't be a heathen?

All applicants for heathenship willing to abandon the last vestiges of civilized behavior are welcome. You'll just miss out on the rain dance.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:47 pm
<< smearing on some war paint >>
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:13 pm
Well, I'm here. I guess that proves I have abondoned the last vestiges of civilization. Could we have the rain dance indoors?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:47 pm
Sure, Boss, just whoop real loud and wave your spear over your head . . .
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:14 pm
nada, zip, nothing. We had a 40% chance of rain in the forecast, but no dice today.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:00 pm
Yall who have ever done time in the "food service" industry may have heard about the ten-second rule. If you don't know about it, don't ask.
In the same vein, it seems to me that if a thread has lain dormant for, say, ten hours, the next poster can take as long as he or she wants to tell the story. In that spirit...

My land is on the east side of a riidge line. The trees up on the ridge block my view to the west which is where most of our thunderstorms come from. Sometimes the storms come creeping over the ridge, with distant thunder letting me know that they are approaching. But many times the storms come sneaking to the ridge, gather force, and then with little notice come rolling over with lots of lightening, thunder and rain. I have lost several computers over the years, despite surge protectors.

So this afternoon I was home and looking out my windows. The clouds to the west didn't look that ominous.

Five minutes later came an absolutely vicious storm out of the North-East.
An incredibly hard pounding rain with thunder and lightening. And hail. Hail, bouncing off the north and east windows. Ping, ping and many more pings like, perhaps, bullets bouncing off the side of a helicopter.
A car pulled into my driveway, seeking refuge. A second car pulled in and the first car moved forward. I saw this from my window. And then, for perhaps 1 second, there was a total white-out. For one second, the rain and wind were so heavy that I could see nothing from my window. It was as if a sheet had been dropped over my window. First time I have ever experienced that (although, oddly, we had a similar storm a month ago and one of my employees went through a simalar thing).
I ended up with four cars in my driveway. Eventually the most severe part of the storm passed and everyone got on with their lives. It is still drizzling here a bit but all appears to be well. -rjb
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:01 pm
BBB
We finally got our promised rain last night along with thunder and lightning. Not enough rain, but better than none. This has been a real puny monsoon season so far.

BBB
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:33 pm
This past June we were down at the Jersey Shore, don't say at the beach, they will know you are a tourist. L is out on the porch and I am cruising through the channels for the local news, looking for a weather report so we can decide if we are walking over to Bradley Beach or staying nearby so as to not get caught in a storm. There had been several of those recently.

Suddenly, there is a reporter on the screen in the middle of a drenching downpour. The super at the bottom of the screen says "Belmar", that's about a half a mile from where I am standing. The reporter is shouting that the blah blah Fisherman's Club Benefit blah blah cancelled and the wind is trying to rip her face off. I go out to the porch to report that we will be staying in town. Then I look at our sky. It's blue. Dotted with a few fat sheep-shaped clouds. Calm winds. What the..?

I go back to look at the TV. The two air-sprayed anchors are throwing it to the local weather guy. He drones on about the current conditions in Philadelphia. He says the forecast is coming up. ...but first a word from our Belmar reporter. The screen goes black and comes up semi-white as the camera shows the side of the Surf Club shuttering and shaking in the rain.

I look outside. Nothing. The Surf Club is a five minute walk away, just across the drawbridge. The reporter is saying something about the storm coming up suddenly. The weatherman comes back on and says "Let's see if we can see that Belmar storm on radar." We can.

It's a dot moving Southeast and out to sea. There is nothing else that even looks like precipitation around it for miles. It's the definition of an isolated thunderstorm.

We walked over to the bridge. By the time we got there you could just barely see the back line of the squall, a curtain of rain waving goodnight.

Joe
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:03 am
Interestingly enough, it just started thundering here.

Coincidence? Or some dastardly plot from the A2K moderators to stop the newb from getting established?

You decide...I'm staying until I get fried.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:03 am
I'm sorry, but externally induced paranoia simply does not work if we admit to the plot . . .
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 09:07 am
Setanta wrote:
I'm sorry, but externally induced paranoia simply does not work if we admit to the plot . . .

That's fine. I'll look around furtively and mumble about how they're out to get me regardless.

it's good practice.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 08:07 pm
There's a large line of storms coming across Wisc and eastern Minn. I'm doing a raindance to try to give them strength to make it through Chicagoland.

Maybe, hopefully some relief tonight.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 09:41 pm
More coming through tonight.

Come on, rain.
0 Replies