Joe Biden's Ukraine problem.

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 05:32 am
Sorry.... The Bidens' place in the Ukraine crisis isn't good. Hunter Biden, a man with zero experience or expertise in the gas industry, received $50,000 a month to be on the board of a corrupt Ukrainian gas company. The gas company was a prize after a civil war.

There is no evidence that what Hunter Biden did was illegal... however it was immoral and unethical. He was propping up corruption while his father was vice President.

I don't know Joe Biden's view on this... because he hasn't spoken on it. This is a big black mark on Biden's candidacy.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 05:34 am
@maxdancona,
This is another case where principle is more important than party. You can oppose corruption on both sides. What Trump did was wrong (and in my opinion impeachable). What Hunter Biden did was wrong too... and if his father gave tacit approval (or more supportive approval) this is a big problem for his candidacy.
hightor

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 05:52 am
@maxdancona,
I think Joe's take on this was that his son was an adult and was free to pursue an independent career. It's more than likely that the Ukrainian company offered him the job because of his name and in hopes of obtaining influence on US energy policy in the region. I haven't heard any information which suggests that Joe Biden put Hunter's name out there. Nothing illegal here. And not necessarily corrupt — either man could recuse himself from activities which might appear to be ethically questionable.

That doesn't mean it's good. And I'll bet that Joe Biden is not the only politician with a child who's been hired by some corporation, domestic or foreign, because of the status attached to the name. Maybe, somewhere down the road, Congress will address this situation which looks like a potential conflict of interest and a possible precursor of political corruption.

Quote:
What Trump did was wrong...

But it's a totally different situation, hardly comparable. Trump's a sitting president, Hunter was simply sitting on a corporate board.
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 06:21 am
@hightor,
From the Atlantic.

Quote:
The whistle-blower scandal that has prompted the fourth presidential impeachment process in American history has put a spectacle from earlier this decade back on display: the jaw-smacking feast of scavengers who circled around Ukraine as Viktor Yanukovych, a Moscow-linked kleptocrat, was driven from power. Ukraine’s crisis was the latest to energize a club whose culture has come to be treated as normal—a culture in which top-tier lawyers, former U.S. public officials, and policy experts (and their progeny) cash in by trading on their connections and their access to insider policy information—usually by providing services to kleptocrats like Yanukovych.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 08:55 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

There is no evidence that what Hunter Biden did was illegal... however it was immoral and unethical. He was propping up corruption while his father was vice President.

Isn't this politics as usual?

I see this in federal, state, and local governments. Why you have such poor service with any government agencies - the majority of the employees are there because "they know someone" - they are overpaid and have huge pensions.

We the taxpayers pay for this.

I am not giving Biden a bye - just I would have to say pretty much every other politician is doing something similar just perhaps on a different scale - most of these politicians have one great quality they know how to work the system.
engineer

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 09:05 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I see this in federal, state, and local governments. Why you have such poor service with any government agencies - the majority of the employees are there because "they know someone" - they are overpaid and have huge pensions.

I can't speak for most government workers, but I have always had great interactions with the local officials here and their pay and benefits are definitely not categorized as huge, maybe adequate.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 10:32 am
@Linkat,
It sure makes me less likely to vote for Biden. I guess that No, I dont accept this as politics as usual.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Oct, 2019 11:49 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Linkat wrote:

I can't speak for most government workers, but I have always had great interactions with the local officials here and their pay and benefits are definitely not categorized as huge, maybe adequate.

You don't live in Mass.

It can vary by town for sure - but our state is full of corruption - and huge pensions, etc. Just look up some of the history of our politicians.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Joe Biden's Ukraine problem.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:17:33