Tractor protest stuns Washington

frolic

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:08 am
A man claiming to have explosives has brought much of downtown Washington to a standstill for a second day, in a bizarre protest against the government.

Even with the US on the brink of war with Iraq, the talk in this town is of just this man - Dwight Watson.

It all started at around noon local time on Monday when Mr Watson drove his tractor into a pond in Washington's famous mall, home to its treasured monuments.

Mr Watson is a 50-year-old tobacco farmer from North Carolina and an unhappy one at that.

He is protesting against the government's cuts in subsidies to tobacco farmers, which he says is making it impossible to run his farm.

Mr Watson is said to have told the police that he is packing explosives and that explains why he is now surrounded by 100 officers, some with sniper scopes aimed in his direction.

The result of the standoff is total chaos, with cars and pedestrians forbidden to enter the normally busy area.

With the city already jittery in the face of a heightened terrorist alert, this has hardly helped the mood, but it has not stopped the jokes.

Some journalists are asking: What chance has the US got of removing Saddam Hussein from power when it cannot get an angry farmer out of a pond? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 976 • Replies: 5
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:23 am
I glimpsed that on the news, thought I was imagining things.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 06:22 am
I haven't seen any news coverage.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 06:24 am
I heard that story. Unfortunately, there are screwballs everywhere!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 06:59 am
As I walked out the door a man on television said there had been an explosion, but he had no details.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:55 am
Dwight Watson has taken a leaf out the French Protesters Book. If they get upset they simply block main highways, shipping ports and anything else with thousands of trucks. Nothing moves for days. Except for a shrug of the shoulders and a quick "c'est la vie"
0 Replies