Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:33 am
Hi everyone,

I've been away for a bit. We (Wee Cav and I) have just moved into a nice attic duplex apartment. It's nice too because it has an air conditioner Smile !!

Anyway, yesterday I took Wee Cav to the vet to have his teeth scraped. Yeah, okay, chastize me because I'm a bad mum, but we did try to keep his teeth as clean as we could. He was just more prone to plaque than usual. So I took him in for the cleaning, and they ended up having to pull six teeth!! Three are molars, so it's like he had his wisdom teeth pulled, but the other three were right behind the large Canine (no pun intended) on the left side. He is in a lot of pain, poor guy, though he did come home stoned on morphine...

I fed him some soft food by hand this morning, and he did take his antibiotic when I hid it in some jellied beef tongue (didn't Cav warn you that I ate some weird stuff?! :wink: ), and right now he's sleeping. I am taking the day off work just in case the food doesn't sit well.

I'm posting this to find out if anyone has a pet with teeth (dog, cat, rabbit, ferret, etc.) who had to have teeth pulled, and what the recovery time was like for you and your pet. Was it quickly (I hear dogs heal quickly) or was it slow? I know it took me a good two and a half weeks when I was young and spry and 17 to heal after my wisdom teeth came out. The vet said he should be back to normal tomorrow, but I'm not so sure.

He's walking slowly, very groggy, and I had to carry him down and up the stairs to take him out this morning.

Any help/advice/stories would be greatly appreciated.

Hope you and your various pets are doing well!

*hugs*

BC
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 986 • Replies: 7
No top replies

HofT

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:51 am
Here is a story from recent news, if that helps.....

http://images.ibsys.com/2005/0531/4550317_120X90.jpg

"A California dentist saved the day after a tiger lost part of his tooth while snacking......
The toughest part may have been getting the 550-pound white Bengal tiger on the operating table.

The procedure was a success."

http://www.nbc10.com/news/4550424/detail.html

Also: anesthesia has delayed effects - in man and dog, seems also in tiger - which can persist for quite a while, so give it a couple more days before worrying about little Cav being groggy. Good luck to both of you Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 06:59 am
HofT is absolutely right. Some dogs--and people--cooperate fully with anesthesia and are groggy for 24 hours after a surgical procedure.

In my experience: terriers, shepherd-mix, Irish setter and pit bull have all healed quickly after the loss of a tooth. Of course these breeds tend to be either assertive or very distractable.

I also had a 10 year old who insisted on going back to school after having ten of his baby teeth pulled for the greater glory of orthodontia. He didn't want to miss gym class.

Your new apartment sounds both picturesque and comfortable. This will be a summer for air conditioning.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:22 am
Ah, buttercup, it's just wonderful to see you back and glad that you are all moved and settled. I'm sorry about the wee cav., my dear, but I'm certain that he will be fine. I have no pet tails to tell, but I do have one thing that you might like to know. I am going to watch Beyond the Sea today and I hope you have a chance to do so.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:16 am
Yes, great to see you back!

I've never even heard of animals having their teeth extracted but I am sure Wee Cav will be bouncing back to normal soon. Animals are tough. Very Happy He's probably wondering why momma drugged him. :wink:

I was weird for 2 or 3 days after my general anesthesia experience. I wouldn't get out of bed. My mom finally made me go into the living room because I started talking to the shadows. (no joke...I was really out of it!)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:22 pm
Hi, Buttercup! One of my cats just had two large molars removed over the weekend, and she's already eating dry food again. It didn't take her long to recover at all. Hope Austin heals just as fast!

(Liam says, "RUFFF" Very Happy )
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
Yikes! 6 teeth. Wow.
Definitely good to be in air-conditioned comfort after that.
Poor weeCav, and poor weeCavMom.

Pepe, the 4 pound Pomeranian down the street, has had several teeth extracted. He is usually back in fine Pom fettle in about 2 - 3 days.

Hopefully, as Austin's a slightly bigger dog, the after-effects of the meds should be slightly less.

~~~~~~~~

Bailey was in imminent danger of scaling and/or extraction in April - he's on Science Diet oral food (with sprayed on beef broth to cover the taste), getting his teeth brushed nightly, and using Suzy's drops in the water. Amazing change. The plaque is dissolving, and now I'm just working on the old stains on his canines.

Suzy's
Suzy's
Suzy's

I really can't say enough about the stuff. I didn't believe it would work, but the fear of doggie dental work made me try it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:00 am
Hello, Buttercup! Very Happy
Lovely to see you here again. More, please!
I'm sorry, I know nothing what-so-ever about canine ailments. (But ask me a cat question & I might be able to help!)
Please give Wee Cav a big hug from me & pass on my get well message to him. Very Happy
0 Replies