who needs talent? Its all about image!

eoe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
sez who? wasn't there a big stink just a few years ago about the lack of royalties received from Col Parker & Co by writers of earlier Elvis tunes?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 11:13 pm
right you are, eoe, he automatically got 1/3 songwriting credit, a col. parker brainstorm no doubt. at least he didn't take total credit. anyway, i'm not trying to defend presley; i just didn't care to see led zeppelin being touted as moral paragons.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 05:54 am
I hear ya.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:21 pm
don't know if it was coming across this way, but i was totally not putting led zeppelin down. (i'm a huge fan, check out the thread "led zeppelin, the greatness of") i was just saying bands like the sex pistols and led zeppelin were undeniably great, and they too used image in their favour. but there image never overpwered the music which is the most imprtant thing.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
Most entertainers must develop some kind of professional physical image or style for their fans to relate to, whether it's their clothing and hair, their props and accessories, whatever. Ya gotta have a gimmick. But gimmick is secondary. At least, it's supposed to be.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 11:50 am
From the forties soap commercials featuring pin-up girls or the look of the day's Andrew Sisters to Rosemary Clooney, the music industry and advertising industry were born for each other. Imagine if today John Lennon, or Crosby, Stills Nash and Young or Bob Dylan went out looking for a recording contract based soley on looks. Not gonna happen...
So why listen to the crap they feed you. There is a ton of talented musicians who will never make the big time, at least not on the contrived pop charts top 10 lists.
I listen to public radio and it never occurs to me to think about thier looks, just the output and surprisingly...The music is phenomenal.
These musicians can't afford to pay or care about the gimmeckry. So why listen to those who can?
0 Replies