who needs talent? Its all about image!

Banksy

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:04 am
I never watch music video shows anymore cos there all fulla crap. "I have absolutley no musical talent but i have a hot body so buy my CD"! Dunno bout any1 else but i think it's wrong, n it ticks me off to there max! Does any1 agree??????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,386 • Replies: 25
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:10 am
Well I don't disagree but if you think about it you 'watch' music videos, but you 'listen' to music.

I think of it as a different art form. I prefer music to music video so why would I watch it? As for the hot body stuff, well - you don't see many fat ballerinas. So blaming music video for being body focussed is a bit like blaming tennis for being a ball being hit over a net.

And welcome to A2K banksy.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 05:24 am
I see what you mean Banksy.If I see another teenage girl with her mid drift on display, Il puke.

Stupidly a naff song does appeal to me a bit more if the video is great,eg Madonna -Nothing Really Matters.

Sadly there are popular fads eg there is a ring tone at number one here called Crazy Frog.It has absolutely no talent to it but its really popular so it gets to number one!Therefore talentFUL Coldplay are at number 2 and a frog is at number one.
Ultravox-Vienna was kept of the number 1 spot because of a song called Shudduppa your face!!

Novelty/popularity/fashion sometimes seem to reign over good sense.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 07:48 am
two words...Milli Vanilli
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:02 am
one word: marketing Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:07 am
two: Ashlee Simpson
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:24 pm
its a shame that the idea of sex sells has found its way into the music industry. For clothes food cars etc itll do, but why even call some stuff music? its just people looking pretty and parncing around to a bit of a beat. if you wanna do that become a model, dont pretend to sing!

although it has to be said, theres a lot more smaller "real" bands making into the mainstream now in the u.k at least. i think last year was a bit of a turning point where bands like Franz Ferdinand and razorlight etc became far more popular. i think now people are beginning to get some kind of understanding what music should sound like again, not just what it should look like.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:34 pm
Two words: Elvis Presley. Oh, wait, the screaming on Ed Sullivan was because he was such an accomplished musician...
0 Replies

Banksy

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 05:33 pm
hmmmm.....interesting responses! music has such a hold over pple...it's amazing how it can make or break a mood. Think about the titanic....how untouching it wld be if it didn't have my heart will go on while the ship sinks. music has the power to influence how you feel and it annoys me when pple abuse it to make a quick buck or too. And then young pple are strongly influenced by sex gestures which leads to all kinds of problems....One side of the world is trying to stop this from happenin n the other (part being music industry) is encouraging it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:00 pm
Actually, re: Titanic, I'm deaf, so Celine's caterwauling was a complete non-issue for me. And I STILL (to my enduring shame) cried like a tiny baby through -- well, pretty much the whole thing.

Just FYI.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:06 pm
Ummm. Evlis had crazy amounts of talent. Remember his voice?
0 Replies

Banksy

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
hahaha....im sure you did....was jst an example....of course no matter what, the story of titanic is touching but with that genre of music added, makes it much more intense! ummmm.....don't quite get ya point bout elvis?????
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 07:05 pm
Gargamel wrote:
Ummm. Evlis had crazy amounts of talent. Remember his voice?

A-yup. 'Tsaright. I've always thought it was vastly overrated, though, and he didn't create diddly squat.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 10:00 pm
As much as I loved Elvis, silly movies and all, he was a gimmick, more or less. Talented, yes, but a gimmick all the same.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:38 pm
Yeah that's interesting, as far as E's creativity. He definitely capitalized on more than half a century of blues. And I know he didn't write the songs.

But he was the first whitey "bluesman"; is it incorrect to say that's a synonym for rock n' roll musician?

Because then you have the Animals, the Stones, the British invasion, which was like Elvis to the third power. But then again, we can't give him to much credit since all those dudes were listening to Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, not necessarily Elvis.

But I do say that without Elvis, there would have been no Jim Morrison or Iggy Pop. I feel like Elvis was the first rocker to use his body as an instrument.
0 Replies

angelina papina

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 03:44 pm
Elvis did use image in his favour, but cant that also be said for other major icons and great muscians such as jonny rotten from the sex pistols or jimmy page from led zep. for those in the music industry i do agree its good to have a certain image, to add to the musical ability.

Elvis was an influential artist and his image added to his all round greatness, the people we shouldnt be praising are those who base their work on image and just have the music as a sideline.
0 Replies

Banksy

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:58 am
Yeah...true that!!! I totally agree that image plays a huge part in a musicians career....but its when pple like Holly Vallance n pple like that who don't really have any musical ability only sell CD's cos of their image....n may i add....long time she stayed in the charts too-her music career was very short lived!!
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
angelina_papina wrote:
Elvis did use image in his favour, but cant that also be said for other major icons and great muscians such as jonny rotten from the sex pistols or jimmy page from led zep.

You're right, except for the difference is that Elvis was a manufactured pop star, like Britney Spears or Holyl Valance, and unlike Johnny Rotten or Jimmy Page, who were not manufactured. Yes, Elvis could sing well, and he did have some good songs - but he was a whore, don't forget that. He was in it for the money first, and the music later, just like the 'artists' Banksy was originally complaining about, and completely unlike Led Zeppelin or the Sex Pistols.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:11 am
Led Zeppelin made **** tons of money. The movie "Song Remains the Same" was made to make up for a huge wad of cash that was stolen from Zeppelin in NYC.

But they did write their own songs (don't forget the Whole Lotta Love and other early songs were ripped off of Howlin Wolf and MuddyWaters), some damn good ones too.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 09:16 am
but as you just brought up, they were thieves, at the outset...is that much better than prostitution? people who wrote elvis' tunes at least received royalties.
0 Replies