Anyone remember news st. ab. boy- swallows apple stem dies?

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:27 pm
IIRC, it was at least back in 96, if not a few years before that, and I'm pretty sure it was national news, but it's obv. a small, special interest/unusual story so I post it here. The boy ate the whole apple instead of excluding the core, including the stem even, and as I recall it somehow went down wrong and ended up lodged in his back in his spinal cord?!

I don't want an intellectual whipping, but others tell me this is unlikely if not impossible given the nature of the esophagus, and I don't know enough to know for sure. Embarrassed Anyone remember this sad little story, or you can at least explain how likely such an event is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,370 • Replies: 13
No top replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:28 pm
Oh yeah, and he died from it. Kinda implied but didn't specify. Sad
0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:29 pm
Oh wait I said that in the title. Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:30 pm
Lots of people eat apples in their entirety, and there is no way for food to make it from your stomach into your spinal cord. Bodies just aren't built that way.

Have you taken any human biology or physiology courses, andrewdt?
0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:37 pm
I didn't take anatomy in HS, but I did take a year of Biology and then of AP Biology, most of a semester of Bio 202 in college, and I start my second year of college in the fall. There is NO excuse for being as ignorant as I am about anatomy; I'm just starting my life right now, in which I will learn a lot about a lot of things, is all I can say.
0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:42 pm
But I swear that's what this story said! But I've had no luck on google... I really am adamant that the news said the stem went down his spine b/c he swallowed it 'wrong', which of course... Darn it all!

Is it possible there was a hole in his esophagus somewhere? Shocked Laughing
Or is it possible I'm digging a hole for myself?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:46 pm
A hole in his esophagus still isn't going to lead INTO his spinal cord.

I know that it often feels like food is stuck in your back when it goes down wrong, but it isn't actually in the musculature of your back.

<trying to think of a way to make it work, but it's a tricky one, andrew>

Oh - welcome to Able2Know!
0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
Thanks. Very Happy

Yeah! Like, I had to learn from a couple experiences that one medication I take, if you don't take it with water you run the risk of not swallowing it down the whole way. So what happened the last time I did that- ever- last month, it felt stuck in my shoulders as it dissolved and it was pressure and like alka seltzer in my back and I yelled and banged against the car seat and had to pull over on my way to work b/c it was uncomfortable and the whole time as I remembered doing this once many months before I thought 'As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly.'

I had just listened to Proverbs on audio tape.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:58 pm
I'm not having any luck finding your apple stem death, andrew.

I'm finding lots of articles recommending people eat apple cores (and sometimes stems). Apparently the seeds and cores are where the really healthy stuff is hiding

http://sydney.citysearch.com.au/profile?id=49824&p=1

Quote:
Like Fluhrer, who grew up eating apple cores, Saxelby eats the seeds of pears and grapes for the fibre. While apple seeds do contain cyanide, you would have to eat more than 100 apples' worth at one sitting before you ran into trouble. As with any food, don't go overboard on the seeds.

"It would follow logically that, because we eat other seeds, the seeds of fruit would be good for us. But it would depend on how much we digest and absorb of the rich content - and that would vary between individuals."

Saxelby makes a couple of provisos. "We wouldn't recommend eating seeds for people with diverticulitis [inflamed bowel] and for children of vegetarians, who are eating seeds all the time, we usually recommend they grind them up to prevent any danger from inhaling. But ground sesame seeds as tahini paste and the nut butters [almond, cashew] are a good alternative."

Fluhrer says pumpkin seeds are a good source of the amino acid tryptophan, a precursor for serotonin production (the chemical that enhances mood), which may help people who suffer from depression.

Where the class of antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or SSRIs slow the breakdown of serotonin in the brain, tryptophan helps produce more serotonin. "So it's the difference between trying to break down something or having more source material," Fluhrer says.

Dr John Piesse, a Melbourne integrative GP, cites pumpkin seeds for prostate health. He chews apple and pear seeds, and recommends they be eaten, saying it's probably better to eat all seeds with the fresh fruit.

"In general, the biological activity of nutrients is stronger in fresh fruit. You lose some potency each time you process something.

"We need to have a substantial rethink about our diets. Most doctors don't consider nutrition when they are treating patients and know little of supplements. Variety is always the best way to go."

And what of our mothers' assertions never to eat seeds because "they'll get caught in your appendix"?

Saxelby says it's an urban myth and a paper by the Medical Journal of Australia concurs. The authors, led by Dr Roger Byard, analysed 1409 cases of acute appendicitis and found our mothers were "incorrect in espousing the belief that fruit seeds or pips may cause appendicitis".

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:03 pm
Checked Snopes, in case. Couldn't find anything.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:04 pm
<started there as well>

now i've wandered off into deepest apple core lore land

0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
Yeah, I already did the Google thing really well, too, and I also checked cnn.com, with no avail. I have other sites that could help.
0 Replies

andrewdt85

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 09:07 pm
Did you know that apple skin has this stuff called pectin that helps fill you up really well? That's why it's good to eat the skin, it helps with appetite.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:00 pm
Back a long, long time ago I had a very good pre-med anatomy course. It was required for advance psychology courses.

The primary fact we were taught about the digestive system was that the body was a doughnut. Mouth to anus were essentially "outside".

Now assuming that this apple stem was steel-tipped an laser-propelled and drifted from the digestive tract through other abdominal organs and into the spine and ZAP...

...this plot would not be accepted by a science fiction editor.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies