Space Travel

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:13 pm
Can we travel at the speed of light ?

No, we cannot travel at the speed of light.
If an object travels at the speed of light, its mass will increase exponentially ! The speed of light is 186,000 miles per second and when an object moves at or close to this speed, its mass will become infinite. Therefore, infinite energy will be required to move the object, which is an impossibility. That is the reason why no object can move at the speed or faster than the speed of light.

Excepting the Sun our nearest star is Proxima Centauri at 4.22 million light years away from us. That is almost 140 days travelling at the speed of light. Other stars are tens, hundreds, thousands, millions or even billions of light years from us.

Saturn is currently NASA's dream child of a manned visit. Saturn is 794 million miles from Earth at its closest. At a speed of the Voyager space probe of 38,000 mph, it would take 2.5 years to get there and the same to get back.

The whole prospect of serious space travel is a theoretical pipe dream.

Because of the mega-distances involved between planets, stars and galaxies, unless in the distant future an astro - physics means of bending space/time is found (probably another pipe dream), space travel is nothing more than an interesting but impossible dream.

By the same principles, it completely rules out the slightest possibility of any Alien visitors to Earth.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 3,095 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Beaker17

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:47 pm
CORRECTION !
Please ignore my paragraph about NASA and Saturn. It is an erroneous
comment, I was not allowed to edit out - sorry.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 06:49 pm
@Beaker17,
Quote:
If an object travels at the speed of light, its mass will increase exponentially !

This statement is incorrect. Do you know what the word "exponentially" means?
Beaker17

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:19 pm
@maxdancona,
YES I do.

https://i.imgur.com/UepuDx8.jpg
Happy now ?
jespah

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:24 pm
@Beaker17,
Proxima Centauri is 4.23 light years away (not 4.22 million ly away). At SOL, if you started today, you'd get there around 4 years and 84 days from now, which is December 6, 2023.

Quarter that and it's still a fairly reasonable amount of time to travel, particularly if your crew can sleep through the trip. Then your arrival would be 16 years and 336 days from today, also known as right around August 15, 2036.

The SOL in mph is 6.702 x 108 miles/hr. See: https://www.thoughtco.com/speed-of-light-in-miles-per-hour-609319

One-quarter of that is 167,550k mph by my math (if I'm wrong, please tell me).

The current fastest man-made object is the Parker Solar Plus. See: https://solarprobe.gsfc.nasa.gov/ It clocks in at a pretty impressive 450k mph.

So to get to 1/4 SOL, you'd need to multiply the Parker feat by a factor of 372.3. Again, if my math is wrong, please let me know.

So we can't do it yet. But 1/4 SOL could happen, and I suspect it'll happen within a century. It's not zippy Star Trek speeds. But it still gets humans to another star system and back, with a fighting chance of there being plenty of people still around who were alive when the crew left.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:41 pm
@Beaker17,
That is clearly not an exponential curve.

What level of math do you have?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 07:45 pm
@Beaker17,
Just for the viewers... this is the second thread where Beaker has pretended to understand science while making really simple errors. In the other thread they got nasty when I made a correction.

There are right answers in science. Beaker doesnt know what he or she isntalking about.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 15 Sep, 2019 01:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Rather than trying to increase speed beyond the speed of light we should be trying to increase life to 1000 years.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Sep, 2019 02:53 pm
@RABEL222,
I am not sure that increasing the human life span to 1000 years is practical unless we perfect space travel.

The planet would fill up rather quickly if we all lived 1000 years.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 07:43 am
@maxdancona,
Not if we all went exploring star systems 100's of light years distant.
0 Replies

dave morgan

Reply Thu 10 Dec, 2020 02:10 am
@Beaker17,
Easy, the speed of light is not constant, speed of light in space is faster because less gravity
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2021 06:32 am
You're ignoring relativistic time dilation, which would make these longer trips possible if we could achieve speeds near that of light.
0 Replies