Don1

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:08 am
Oakridge looks favourite
0 Replies

canada

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:12 am
The Baffler
Morning Don1

Oakridge is what I thought as well, it's making the soup question difficult to answer. I thought it may be salsa but the K is in place of the L in salsa. Any ideas?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:24 am
Google Laksa
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:38 am
Definitely Laksa. You've given me an idea for dinner tonight!
0 Replies

canada

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:50 am
The Baffler
Hello again Don1 and Clary

Thank you much appreciated it's now complete. Will be back later with some more.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:53 am
Dorset, eh? Hardly a stone's throw from me...
0 Replies

canada

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:43 am
The Baffler
Hello Clary

Nice to see a photo. Nobody ever seems to show one. I would but my scanner isn't working.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 07:47 am
Hi! I didn't think you were a Beatrix Pottery gerbil type. I am rather tired of this photo, I look a bit soppy but haven't got another one!

Where in Dorset?
0 Replies

canada

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 04:42 pm
The Baffler
Hello Clary

Hamworthy, Poole. No I'm far from hamster type, although I am petite. The reason I put the hamster was a friend of mine use to run a gym so I joined and the weights nearly killed me. I'm 5'3", 8 stone, do secretarial work and have been told I have a wicked sense of humour. I've tried before to send private messages but they won't let me (Dear boss of able2know, I'm genuine honestly no crack-pot here) well that's my story and I'm sticking with it Tee! Hee!. Hope to hear from you again sometime.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 05:03 pm
where do you get all those crossword clues from?
and aren't the a2k word games hard enough for you?!
0 Replies

canada

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:22 am
Hello again clary

I'm a competition freak and only go in for prize comps. But I really must try and help some others answer their puzzles (It's only fair eh!) I buy all the Newspapers, Lovatts, and magazines, anything that's going really.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:29 am
have you ever won anything?
are you allowed the internet when you're at work?
Smile
0 Replies

canada

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 10:46 am
Yes I've won about £6,000's worth of stuff mostly prizes the biggest prize a camcorder, cash wise I've won £1,001 and £1,000 this is over about 10 years, there's a lot of freebies as well. It's quite exciting when a package comes to the door. I,m still waiting for the big one though, a car, a house or a caribbean holiday. I live in hope. I don,t bother at work with the internet much. But I hate to admit most of my free time is spent entering the comps.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:22 pm
Well it sure is worth it - you have fun and occasionally a nice win. £1000 is not to be sneezed at! Do you buy The Puzzler and that sort of mag?
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 12:22 am
Hope you don't mind me kind of 'jumping in' here! I've been stuck in this place (Aust) for 40 (and a half) long, long years and have recently been having unusually strong feelings of homesickness. (Haven't been back since dragged away, aged 14, on Nov 27, '64).

One of the better things about being here, though, is I get access to the FULL range of Lovatts puzzle magazines (Christine and James Lovatt are also English). I buy most of the full sized ones (usually not the pocket ones) but usually only do the competition puzzles.

Every so often I'll win a small prize, which keeps my hopes up of getting something bigger. The most expensive prize I've won so far is a large Collins Dictionary worth around $80. My most recent win was a cheque for $20 a few weeks ago.

Just today I spent around $30 on magazines - the Aust edition (#52) of 'Empire' which I've bought every month since issue 1, Lovatts 'ClueWords' #56, 'Mega' #42 (entries for both due by Aug 4) and 'QuizWords' #2 (not due until OCTOBER 20!). I also bought the 'TV Week' for next week, which ALSO has 6 prize puzzles - by Lovatts - in it!

Next week sees the release of issue #1 of Lovatts' 'Sudoku' mag. There's an interactive example on their website but I've never heard of them before! My new favourite kind of puzzles are the Japanese-type ones by Conceptis. I download their 16 free ones every week.

Sorry for going on and on so much. I'd better go and get some of those Lovatts puzzles done very soon!
0 Replies

canada

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:18 am
Good Morning/Evening Clary and Shekeda

Clary, No I don't buy the Puzzler in particular Unless you mean the Lovatts Quarterly, I buy that one, but if I run out of puzzles to do I'll buy almost anything. Shekeda, Yes I'm aware you get Lovatts in Australia as I have in the past received answers to some of the clues I could'nt find answers for. (Doesn't the Stinker and the Demon drive you insane). With all the puzzles I do from Lovatts, I've won 13 times between Dec 97 to Feb 04 some cash and some small prizes. I don't quite understand Sudoku but at some time will try to work it out. I haven't heard of the Japanese one you mentioned.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 03:26 am
Shekeda wrote:

The most expensive prize I've won so far is a large Collins Dictionary worth around $80. My most recent win was a cheque for $20 a few weeks ago.

Teehee, I wrote a lot of that dictionary in its 1979 edition but probably it's updated out of all recognition now!

Must get my hands on Lovatts, it's obviously the place to go for prizes.
Shekeda, come and see us over here - I am busy wishing i was in Oz, all those open spaces and Queensland beaches and nice friendly people... oh to be able to drive without being in a traffic jam!
0 Replies

canada

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 04:03 am
Hello Clary

Great! if you want to buy Lovatts, may I suggest in particular one's called Collossus, Big and the Quartely one. Shekeda send us some of your sunshine will you, (although today is quite nice) we had some terrible weather for this time of year. Happy comping one and all.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
Very Happy Very Happy likewise
0 Replies