What (slang) terms do Black British people use to describe their hair?

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:09 am
Hi. There's a chat site I frequent and one time I was engaged in a discussion about hair.

African Americans have what they refer to as "nappy hair" - coarse, wooly, and/or kinky hair.

I tried to explain to some of my British friends what "nappy hair" is. Some of them have never seen or heard the phrase used, and when they saw the word "nappy" used they thought I was talking about diapers. I know "nappy" is used in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and in the Isle of Man too, in this context.

What (slang) terms do Black British people- people in England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Isle of Man- use to describe their hair?

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,581 • Replies: 1
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 01:24 am
@JGoldman10,
No idea, and the barbers I go to is very multicultural, run by two Syrian Kurds with lots of Asian and Afro Caribbean customers. I've never heard any of them use a term to describe their hair that could be considered slang, just standard terms, curly, straight, etc.

The only slang terms I can think of come from rhyming slang. Barnet fair/ hair, syrup of figs/wig. In slang you only use the non rhyming part of the phrase, so hair would be referred to as a barnet, and a wig as a syrup.
0 Replies