Question re Italians

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
A friend and I have vowed to go to Italy together before our 50th birthdays (we're both mid-forty)

In your personal experiences, how do you find Italians to be?

We both grew up in the US North East, he's of Italian heritage, speaks the language enough to get by. He's been there several times.
Almost all of my friends growing up were Italian-Americans, so I'm hep on the values, humor, etc. etc. in this country.

Frankly, I'm afraid to ask my friend this question. He'd think I was nuts.
I watch commercials where they use stereotypes of Italians for like Olive Garden (no one I grew up with would step foot in that place) or salad dressing, etc. with the tarentella's playing in the background and a jolly old uncle imparting wisdom.

I don't want to go there and be inappropriate. I absolutely know respect is essential - but please impart some stories of everyday dealings.

Pushy salesmen?
Waiters?
Flirting w/ middle aged chubby women?
Avoiding trouble?

Anyone got any good stories that tell the REAL story?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,160 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 02:59 pm
Well, I will give you my experience when traveling in Italy. I went with a girlfriend of mine when we were both in our early 20s. Neither spoke Italian - I could speak French so it did help me understand. I found that the Italian people in general were very patient in helping you out. Most did not speak English (except perhaps those involved in with tourists), however, they were still willing to help you out. For example, they would write down the amounts of items when you were buying something. They seemed very friendly and of the surrounding European countries - I found the Italians the best and most hospitable.

The men were very aggressive - they would check women out left and right (granted we were two young single women at the time).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 12:55 am
So, do you have six hours to listen to me?

No, I don't either and I am just the more visible of those on a2k who are interested in italy. Kickycan is there right now, so look at his links re italy (look up his posts, they may be under travel or language - he started several threads on learningn italian and going to italy.... and then tune in on what he has to say when he comes back, once he wakes up.

Fbazer and Ul know the most, I think, among us who are interested but don't actually live there. Some people who live in italy kindly answer on the language threads.
0 Replies