hot oceans

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 11:29 am
Every ferry, boat or other seafaring vehicle will heat up the ocean. What is the formula for calculating how much the ocen will heat up from this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,288 • Replies: 3
No top replies

raprap

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 12:38 pm
Q=mCpDelta(T)

Q is the heat put into the ocean by a ferryboat

m is the mass of the ocean

Cp is the heat capacity of sea water (a but greater than 1 Btu per pound of sea water)

Delta(T) is the temperature change (e.g. Temperature before minus Temperature after)

Now Q can be pretty large (arbitrarily put at 5,000,000 Btu/hr) but m is the mass of the ocean, which I'll arbitrarily put in as a small Ocean, say 100,000 cubic miles and a density of 60 pounds per cubic foot is huge (1.7x10^14 pounds) and if the heat capacity is that of fresh water (1 Btu/pound/degF) the temperature change would be about

Delta(T)=5x10^6/(1*1.7x10^12) Deff/hr=2.9x10-8 DegF/hr.

This means in a century (876,600 hrs) the max ocean temperature rise from ships in the last century is less than 0.015 DegF.

This is a simple model and makes inherent assumptions that a knowingly wrong, and ignores evaporation and the many ways Oceans are able to erase local energy (like a hurricane) but it is a SWAG that show this is nearly insignificant compared to greenhouse heating .

Rap
0 Replies

neil

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
As rap suggested the variables change radically from one vessel to an other. Small craft often discharge exhaust into the water while larger craft expel exhaust into the air. The wake of the ship increases evaporative cooling, cancelling part of the energy input. Much of the heat leaves the water entering the atmosphere in seconds to minutes. We might assume, on the average, 2% of the energy in the fuel is retained by the ocean long term, but calculating the average temperature rise one meter below the surface involves a lot of assumptions. The water, a kilometer below the surface or more may be warmed less than one millionth degree c from all the ships and submarines the last 100 years. Neil
0 Replies

einherjinn

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 02:55 pm
greenhouse heating
On the topic of global warming, I tried some googling on this but i got very mixed answers, so i ask will the atmosphere be able to repare the bamage we have caused (completly or partially) why do you think so and how long will it take? Question
0 Replies