What are good resources for storytelling and comedy writing for animation and comics?

JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 01:33 am
@izzythepush,
Beavis and Butthead was a crappy show but was very successful.

The reason why some crappy cartoons are successful is because of the writing, the subject matter and the material.
izzythepush

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 02:29 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The reason why some crappy cartoons are successful is because of the writing, the subject matter and the material.

What's the difference between the writing and the material?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:01 am
@JGoldman10,
If the "crappy cartoons" have good writing, then they aren't really crappy; they have some value. You can criticize the quality of the animation, but you recognize the writing as being good.

Which goes back to the original question of you wanting to improve your writing skills in comedy and storytelling.

You probably should be more open to modern animation, despite you thinking the animation is poor, as you may learn how cartoons are written now. Which goes back to my point of learning by exposure.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 03:38 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Beavis and Butthead was an adult cartoon. the general consensus concerning adult cartoons is that adults don't supposedly really care about quality. They supposedly don't care if what they are watching looks crappy as long as it's entertaining.
Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 04:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
They supposedly don't care if what they are watching looks crappy as long as it's entertaining.

That can be applied to literally any medium and any audience. When I was a child, a lot of what I watched was (retrospectively) not good but I was entertained.

Like Power Rangers. It was made on a low budget and it shows. That didn't stop a young me from wanting the toys and watching the movies.

Even now, I watch films and shows that are critically terrible, but I still enjoy.

Also, I think adult animation like The Simpsons, Archer, and Family Guy do have a higher budget than most children's cartoons.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:20 pm
@Rebelofnj,
A watched a lot of toons when I was a youngster, but I didn't think about and realize how crappy a lot of them were until I got older.

JGoldman10 wrote:

Beavis and Butthead was an adult cartoon. The general consensus concerning adult cartoons is that adults don't supposedly really care about quality. They supposedly don't care if what they are watching looks crappy as long as it's entertaining.

-FIXED.
Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Even if you dislike the shows now as an adult, you still enjoyed them as a child.

You never answered my question:
Is there any example of modern animation and comics that you enjoy?

And how do you feel about the modern writing on current cartoons and comics?

How hard is it to answer that? I'm assuming you don't care for any modern cartoons, if it taking this long to answer. Most people just say the most recent show they watched. I have been re-watching Venture Bros and Archer. I also have been watching Paw Patrol and Super Monsters with my nephews.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I still have to think about it. I haven't watched any cartoons on TV recently. I haven't watched any in a long time.
Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
You clearly have seen cartoons, if you already have a strong opinion that the shows produced by Disney and Cartoon Network are terrible.
Unless you are making false assumptions based on a few minutes of content and not actually watching the shows.

You probably should watch some shows if you want to know about how children's shows are written and produced.

It is very odd that you are trying to produce an animated series for money, but claimed you haven't seen any cartoons in years. It would be like me trying to write a book without reading any other book for 15 years. It is just silly.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:05 pm
@Rebelofnj,
You said Ixapter's cartoons and comics are amateurish. They are amateurish- they do look like something a 12-year-old made, despite the fact he claimed to have gone to art school like I did when I asked him.

He's produced a number of animated videos that have generated at least 1 million views.

I think one of the reasons his Pac-Man/SMB video game-themed cartoon and comic videos are popular is because of content.

You commented about the lewd content of his Pac-Man/SMB-themed cartoons and comics. His cartoons and comics are very fanservicey.

He reinvented the three Mario princesses to look like sexy pin-ups. I would still like to ask him why he did that if he was making his cartoons and comics "for everybody".

I think another reason his animated SMB/Pac-Man videos are popular is the comedic timing. He is good at that.

Another reason is storytelling. He actually tells stories in his SMB/Pac-Man cartoon and comics videos. He's actually put some thought into writing them.

He also uses poetic monologues to narrate his animated SMB/Pac-Man videos, which draws people in, unless he's using songs for narration.

I think he uses these things make up for the amateurish art.

His animated SMB/Pac-Man videos that have generated at least a million views are somewhat decently animated.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I didn't say I didn't watch any recent toons on TV. I've seen a few of them. I have watched some of them online.

I am busy- I don't really watch cartoons on TV these days. Not like I used to.

I still think the TV cartoons Disney and Warner Bros. produce now are crappy.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
For comparison, do you think this cover art is amateurish? The artist, Joe Quesada, is a graduate of the School of Visual Arts.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/12155/SEP980738._SX360_CLs%7C360,553%7Ccu/cmx-cu-sash-lg.png%7C0,0,361,554%20208,401,152,152_QL80_TTD_.jpg
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:16 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

You said Ixapter's cartoons and comics are amateurish. They are amateurish- they do look like something a 12-year-old made, despite the fact he claimed to have gone to art school like I did when I asked him.

He's produced a number of animated videos that have generated at least 1 million views.

I think one of the reasons his Pac-Man/SMB video game-themed cartoon and comic videos are popular is because of content.

You commented about the lewd content of his Pac-Man/SMB-themed cartoons and comics. His cartoons and comics are very fanservicey.

He reinvented the three Mario princesses to look like sexy pin-ups. I would still like to ask him why he did that if he was making his cartoons and comics "for everybody".

I think another reason his animated SMB/Pac-Man videos are popular is the comedic timing. He is good at that. There's occasional humor in his SMB/Pac-Man comics videos, but his comics are more action-driven.

Another reason is storytelling. He actually tells stories in his SMB/Pac-Man cartoon and comics videos. He's actually put some thought into writing them.

He also uses poetic monologues to narrate his animated SMB/Pac-Man videos, which draws people in, unless he's using songs for narration.

I think he uses these things make up for the amateurish art.

His animated SMB/Pac-Man videos that have generated at least a million views are somewhat decently animated.

FIXED.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then I have no idea what you consider crappy, as you previously claimed the art styles of DC and Marvel looks cheap, crappy, amateurish and simplistic.

Meanwhile, Quesada is one of the more prominent Marvel artists and is currently Marvel's Chief Creative Officer.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I want to produce cartoony stuff and I still think I can produce better-looking cartoons and comics than Ixapter.

The content of his comics and cartoons made me question who he was making them for.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I have watched some of the Foamy The Squirrel cartoons online, which are crappy, but a lot of those are evil. I watched out of curiosity.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
I did not bring up Ixapter. I'm not even talking about Ixapter. I don't even care about his work. You keep bring him up.

I'm talking about the other professionally produced shows and comics.

And I don't even know what your artwork looks like because you posted nothing online except for two hard to find character art.
JGoldman10

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:09 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know, but I am talking about cartoons and comics that I think are crappy, and what certain artists do to compensate for lacking art.

That's the only reason I brought Ixapter up.

You think his stuff is professionally-made?
Rebelofnj

Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
No, I do not think Ixapter's work is professionally made.

I thought I made that clear, but apparently I have to be more blunt.

Are you going to make an effort to be aware of other cartoons and comics, so that you know about current trends in writing and animation?

It can only help you in making some progress in your project.