Talking fish shouting apocalyptic warnings

frolic

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:34 am
The tale of the talking fish has spread in recent weeks throughout this tight-knit Rockland County community, populated by about 7,000 members of the Skver sect of Hasidim, and throughout the Hasidic world, inspiring heated debate, Talmudic discussions and derisive jokes.

The story goes that a 20-pound carp about to be slaughtered and made into gefilte fish for Sabbath dinner began speaking in Hebrew, shouting apocalyptic warnings and claiming to be the troubled soul of a revered community elder who recently died.

Many people here believe that it was God revealing himself that day to two fish cutters in the fish market, Zalmen Rosen, a 57-year-old Hasid with 11 children, and his co-worker Luis Nivelo, a 30-year-old Ecuadorean immigrant.

Some people say the story is as credible as the Bible's account of the burning bush. Others compare it to a U.F.O. sighting. But the story rapidly spread around the world from this town about 30 miles northwest of Manhattan, first through word of mouth, then through the Jewish press.

The two men say they have each gotten hundreds of phone calls from Jews all over the world.

"Ah, enough already about the fish," Mr. Rosen said today at the shop, as he skinned a large carp. "I wish I never said anything about it. I'm getting so many calls every day, I've stopped answering. Israel, London, Miami, Brooklyn. They all want to hear about the talking fish."

Here then is the story, according to the two men, the only witnesses. Mr. Rosen, whose family owns the store, and Mr. Nivelo, who has worked at the shop for seven years, say that on Jan. 28 at 4 p.m. they were carving up carp.

Mr. Nivelo, who is not Jewish, lifted a live carp out of a box of iced-down fish and was about to club it in the head.

But the fish began speaking in Hebrew, according to the two men. Mr. Nivelo does not understand Hebrew, but the shock of a fish speaking any language, he said, forced him against the wall and down to the slimy wooden packing crates that cover the floor.

He looked around to see if the voice had come from the slop sink, the other room or the shop's cat. Then he ran into the front of the store screaming, "The fish is talking!" and pulled Mr. Rosen away from the phone.

"I screamed, `It's the devil! The devil is here!' " he recalled. "But Zalmen said to me, `You crazy, you a meshugeneh.' "

But Mr. Rosen said that when he approached the fish he heard it uttering warnings and commands in Hebrew.

"It said `Tzaruch shemirah' and `Hasof bah,' " he said, "which essentially means that everyone needs to account for themselves because the end is near."

The fish commanded Mr. Rosen to pray and to study the Torah and identified itself as the soul of a local Hasidic man who died last year, childless. The man often bought carp at the shop for the Sabbath meals of poorer village residents.

Mr. Rosen panicked and tried to kill the fish with a machete-size knife. But the fish bucked so wildly that Mr. Rosen wound up cutting his own thumb and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. The fish flopped off the counter and back into the carp box and was butchered by Mr. Nivelo and sold.

The story has been told and retold, and many Jews believe that the talking fish was a rare shimmer of God's spirit. Some call it a warning about the dangers of the impending war in Iraq.

"Two men do not dream the same dream," said Abraham Spitz, a New Square resident who stopped by the store this week. "It is very rare that God reminds people he exists in this modern world. But when he does, you cannot ignore it."

Others consider it as fictional as Tony Soprano's talking-fish dream in an episode of the "The Sopranos."

NYT
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,961 • Replies: 30
No top replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:41 am
Laughing Has this been reported by other reputable publications such as The Onion? I'd check myself, but I'm at work and the firewall in the system won't let me onto that website.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:41 am
This Mr. Rosen needs medicamentous treatment for delusions, and his Colombian assistant was maybe high on crack. It is a shame for the monotheist to spread delirious stories in the pagan shamans' style.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:11 pm
As report in the:
Houston Chronicle
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:13 pm
I think they made this up just for the halibut.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:14 pm
Another article with a picture
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:22 pm
I heard about "singing fish", an electronic device that appears in some shops and coffee houses of the USA. Maybe, there was also some hidden speaker in the Mr. Rosen's shop, and it was put in action in presence of the Colombian worker to make this story more credible. A kind of an advertizing campaign of Mr. Rosen's business with minimum of investment.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:28 pm
Well, this has been published on March, 13 in the NYT already and gets now "a second chance" in international papers.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:35 pm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 12:51 pm
Perhaps the fish will reveal the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden. Evidently, a self-proclaimed Biblical expert has already advised our gov't on how the Old Testament can be consulted on this subject. The fish may be thinking along the same lines...
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 01:24 pm
Poor Fish. To be burdened with such a mission, then just be eaten for its trouble.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 01:27 pm
What's next? A canary that sings, "Here Comes the Bride"! Laughing
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:46 pm
I saw that article, too, and thought it was a little too convenient that the fish is dead.

steissd and others can probably confirm this, but I don't think Jewish beliefs include the embracing of reincarnation, so the idea of coming up with this story - and having any Jews give it any credence, is even stranger, far as I'm concerned.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:54 pm
Quote:
Reincarnation has never been a doctrine of mainline Judaism and does not seem to be typical of most modern Jewish thought, although the idea has cropped up from time to time among certain Jewish sects. The Zohar (book of Jewish mysticism) is said to refer to it several times, both in the sense of the soul of a person entering another person, and even into the body of an animal or insect as a sort of purgatory. The Karaites were apparently the first Jewish sect to adopt the notion of reincarnation in the eighth century, apparently at least in part in an attempt to account for the suffering of innocent children. The argument was that they must have sinned previous life in order to deserve such hardship. (See John 9 for Yeshua's explanation) Saadia Gaon called the idea of reincarnation "nonsense and stupidity." The Jewish philosopher Jewish Albo also rejected the idea of the "transmigration of souls" in the fifteenth century..

References:
"What Does Judaism Say About . . .?" by Louis Jacobs
The Encyclopedia Judaica, article "Afterlife

http://www.amfi.org/mailbag/reincarnation.htm
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:05 pm
I HATE it when the fish start speaking apocalyptically! If the horses start eating each other in the stables, a la Macbeth, I am panicking.

I wonder, in its anoxic state, if the fish became very pisceocentric, and projected its own impending demise onto the world?

I am especially intrigued by the men's search for the cat as an alternative source for the gloomy voice - are cats more commonly found to utter gloomy prophetic warnings in Hebrew?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:53 pm
I believe, it is a very big hoax. I wonder how did the newspapers publish such a bovine manure (aka bulls**t).
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:54 pm
Now that's the grandfather of all fish stories.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:03 pm
Quote:
"Listen to what I'm telling you: Only children take this seriously," said Rabbi C. Meyer of the New Square Beth Din of Kashrus. "This is like a UFO story. I don't care if it is the talk of the town."

Whether hoax or historic event, it jibes with the belief of some Hasidic sects that righteous people can be reincarnated as fish.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
Thanks God they do not believe that people can reincarnate into items. Talking lavatory bowl might cause in some impressive listeners heart attack.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:16 pm
Well, of course the fish was dead, Jespah. Living fish never talk.
0 Replies