Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 10:41 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,094 • Replies: 4
No top replies

au1929

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 11:47 am
Surprise, surprise all people are not created equal. I wonder how much money was expended in the performance of this study. I would ask whose but I have very little doubt that it was the taxpayers through goverment grants
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:47 pm
Au - although this particular experiment may appear redundant, in general, brain studies are showing such interesting results in so many areas - with such clear implications for areas such as infant mental health - that it is likely that experiments such as these will bear useful fruit.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:45 pm
I was just doing some research on one of rosborne's threads on cloning and came across info on "Therapeutic Cloning" whereas stem cells (embryonic) may be able to be differentiated into more specialized cells such as neurons (the cells that form nerve and brain cells).

Given we could find the secret to make more neurons and knowing where the above sites in the brain are we may be able to boost our own intelligence by injecting more brain cells in geographically strategic areas of our brains!

JM
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:52 pm
Hmmmmm - I would certainly hope that it might help folk with degenerative brain diseases. I wonder what happens to our memories and our sense of self if our brains are regenerated in this way? Although Crick, of course, claims to have found the centre of consciousness in the brain - what if he is right, and that degenerates, and is replaced with new stem-cell grown neurones?
0 Replies