Death penalty

maxdog

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 02:02 pm
What you have to do to get a death penalty in a democratic country ?

Sturgis

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 02:18 pm
@maxdog,
In the U.S. this varies from one state to another. Some don't even allow it. Other countries have their own laws.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 07:15 pm
@maxdog,
In Australia there is no death penalty.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 08:35 pm
@cherrie,
I prefer the "no death penalty" countries. They never make a mistake of killing someone innocent. Courts and human juries can make mistakes. https://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2007/06/juries.html I was involved in a trial in Santa Clara County on a rape-murder charge. All the circumstantial evidence proved the defendant to be guilty, but our jury decided "life in prison without the possibility of parole." I can sleep at nights. The jury chose me as foreman for both the guilty phase and penalty phase, even though the judge told the jury to select another foreman for the penalty phase. I couldn't talk them out of it, and the judge agreed with the jury. The trial lasted for three months, the second longest trial in our county's history up to that point. I asked to be dismissed from jury duty after that trial, but they said that was not possible. Thankfully, they never called me in for another trial. Besides all that, I did my civic duty, because I volunteered to work in the County Civil Grand Jury for the 2003-2004 year. That experience was "fun" working with some very smart people, and we accomplished writing the most report up to that time; 34.
maxdog

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:21 pm
So if you just kill you get the death penalty or you have to kill more than one time ?
cherrie

Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 09:51 pm
@maxdog,
As Sturgis said it varies from state to state and country to country.
Perhaps you could narrow down where you're actually asking about.
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 03:44 am
@cherrie,
he said if it s performed or not , not what crime would be that will lead you to a dead penalty
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 03:46 am
@cicerone imposter,
so you don t want a death penalty for those that they made a mass shooting on innocents captured in full face with cctv and admitting to do so in court ?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 06:15 am
The thing about death penalties, when one is awarded the death penalty, the legal system believes that person deserves death. Makes no difference after that if the person is wrongly convicted or has slaughtered a whole Walmart. Aside from the death penalty being based upon revenge and not holding to the tenant of no cruel and unusual punishment, it is a final solution that cannot be reversed, if the executed is later proven innocent. So, no; death penalty is immoral and should be illegal everywhere.
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 08:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Later proven innocent if is captured with cctv and admit in court ? I repeated this, sure you don t want like this fellow around in society
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 10:13 am
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:

What you have to do to get a death penalty in a democratic country ?

Posting lazy and vague questions at a2k. Might be a capital offense but I'm too lazy to check the facts of my statement.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 10:47 am
@maxdog,
No. Executing a killer is revenge of the worst kind. Killing a killer is guilty of the same human crime; it's murder. Even in war time, many soldiers suffer from PTSD, because they have killed another human, even knowing that it's kill or be killed. I like the story of Desmond Doss, who refused to carry a gun and kill. His commanders and fellow soldiers treated him badly, even injured him, because he refused to carry a gun to kill, but in the battlefield, he proved himself by saving lives. He saved soldiers in the middle of battlefields by risking his own life by dragging or carrying them to safety. He's probably the only noncombatant who received the Congressional Medal of Honor. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2119532/
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 10:51 am
@maxdog,
That's why they have maximum security prisons and life without parole.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 03:01 pm
@maxdog,
Quote:
He said...
...not what crime would be

I made clear that this will vary from one place to another.
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 04:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do you kill if is the only option for you to stay alive because others are going to kill you ?
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 04:09 pm
@Sturgis,
Ok so also that what is the crime vary ..
0 Replies

maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 04:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
Well killing must be the reason why they give you the dead penalty.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 04:40 pm
@maxdog,
I wouldn't know. I was in the US Air Force for four years, but we were only support. My job was loading nukes on airplanes, but this was back in the late 1950's. While stationed in Morocco, a large group of Arabs were charging our base on horses, and we were given our carbines for self-defense. However, about a few hundred yards from our base, they turned around and left. That was the closest incidence I had in the military. When we were loading nukes on the planes, we packed our 38's with us. If it became necessary, I suppose, I would shoot in self-defense. I don't think one actually knows how they will react under fire.
maxdog

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know you would kill , it s our instict to do so for not feel pain or die . So by death penalty you are doing the same pretty much . High security prisons can fail to hold prisoners and they can be back in the streets.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2019 05:29 pm
@maxdog,
Quote:
I know you would kill ,...
You know me better than me! While you're at it, what kind of person am I?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Death penalty
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:01:00