WHY IMPEACHMENT IS AN IDIOTIC IDEA

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 08:46 pm
Another member recently asked me if I now thought that impeachment were a good idea. No, I don't. Thank Dog Pelosi is the Speaker. This is practical politics, and she gets it. Impeachment would be rightly seen as a vindictive exercise. It would also be futile. Impeach just means indict. That can be done with a simple majority. To convict you need two-thirds of a quorum of the Senate. You're not going to get that.

Spend your time uniting the opposition to the fat boy in the White House. Don't waste time on a futile and petty gesture that will only hurt the Democratic party in the next election. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 09:32 pm
@Setanta,

i get it...

but what if (dog forbid) he wins a second term?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 09:43 pm
I've never pushed for impeachment, because I think it would be counter productive. I dearly want him to pay for what he has done, but in some other way.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:27 pm
@Region Philbis,
Very hypothetically, I wonder if it's possible to be impeached, convicted, and still be reelected.
Real Music

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:09 pm
@roger,

Article 1, Section 3, clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution

Quote:
Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution
Real Music

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:13 pm
@roger,
I believe that in accordance with the constitution, that the Senate can remove a president after he or she has been impeached as well as disqualify the impeached president from holding future office.

At least that is how I interpret Article 1 section 3 clause 7
of the constitution.
Real Music

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:38 pm
@roger,
Even if the House were to impeach Trump, no one believes that this Senate
would convict and remove Trump from office.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:52 pm
@Real Music,
The current Senate is too afraid of Trump and would never vote to remove Trump, the best thing is to let the Voters decide. However, if Trump gets re-elected, then impeachment is absolutely necessary. I don't know if this country will abandon the Constitution or not. I desperately hope that we will strive to return to the dignity and high standards of the Founding Fathers. They did not try to establish a Christian Nation, they envisioned a nation that was tolerant.

roger

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:56 pm
@Real Music,
Thanks for the information.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 11:57 pm
@Real Music,
At this point, he doesn't have to be removed. A Statement of Conviction will work just as well.
Real Music

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 12:07 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
At this point, he doesn't have to be removed. A Statement of Conviction will work just as well.

I don't know if that is an option under the constitution.
I will have to do further research to find out.

If the constitution were to provide this specific option, what would be the point of the Senate convicting the president if they were to allow him to stay in office?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 12:57 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:

After further research, I was unable to find anything in the constitution, that gives the Senate this specific option.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:03 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
The current Senate is too afraid of Trump and would never vote to remove Trump, the best thing is to let the Voters decide.

1. Ultimately, it will end up being the voters who will decide.

2. Congress still needs to exercise their oversight responsibilities of investigating Trump of all of his impeachable offenses, if for no other reason than to expose all of his offenses to the public.

3. That way the public will have that information when going to the polls to vote in the 2020 presidential election.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 07:19 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i get it...

but what if (dog forbid) he wins a second term?

If the establishment candidate Joe Biden is the nominee? I'm 80% sure that Trump wins reelection. Thanks Pelosi. Thanks Set. If Trump wins reelection, it's safe to say that the Republicans hold the Senate.

If and WHEN Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies in the office in the next two or so years? Trump gets another cakewalk Supreme Court appointment. Stephen G. Breyer, is 80. Wouldn't it be lovely if Trump also gets to get his seat filled?

It's good to know that a criminal can go unpunished and remain literally unchecked in the White House.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 09:27 am
@tsarstepan,
I believe 2020 may be our last chance to reverse the slide to dictatorship.
roger

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 01:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
I do agree. I'm still a Republican, but have to agree on Trump.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Aug, 2019 09:56 pm
Trump gets more free publicity than any man that ever lived. Enough already.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 06:41 pm
Only months till the election cycle. No impeachment because the senate wouldent have the votes to remove the crook which shows how crooked the republican senate is. Continue to pile up evidence of wrongdoing so he can be punished when out of office. His refusal to show his taxes is proof that his business organization was/is cleaning dirty money for the Russians and who knows how many other organizations. His own actions will convict him if we are smart enough to remove him from office.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2019 09:25 pm
The point is to make the discussion in 2020 about the corruption and incompetence of Plump and his administration. The contest is always for the unaligned middle. Impeach the fat boy, and you just create sympathy for him, and play into his narrative about being persecuted. Make the campaign about the failure of his administration, and go after him hammer and tongs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2020 03:23 pm
Too late now, the Dems have screwed the pooch.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WHY IMPEACHMENT IS AN IDIOTIC IDEA
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:51:36