How can I find out who owns the streets here?

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:08 am
I live in a mobile home neighborhood in Harris County, Texas. Our neighborhood association was disbanded after somebody discovered it had never been legally started and people quit paying dues. We are plagued with potholes, but nobody admits to responsibility for repairing them. It was bad enough a few years ago, many of us gathered and made donations to get the main street potholes filled. It was no real solution, but it made the street more driveable. The county does not admit to owning these streets. Neither does the man who bought out the original company that started the neighborhood. I have been going in circles looking for information.

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:12 am
@edgarblythe,

have you tried contacting your local gov't representative?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:20 am
@Region Philbis,
No. Just websites that offer no help. A year or more back I contacted people working for the county. Can't tell you who they were anymore. I guess I can try my govt representative next.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:30 am
If your property is being taxed by a city, go to City Hall. If not, go to the county. In El Paso County, the department that handles the streets used to be called Roads & Bridges, now it's called Public Works.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

No. Just websites that offer no help. A year or more back I contacted people working for the county. Can't tell you who they were anymore. I guess I can try my govt representative next.

It should be public record. You shouldn't have to go through too many hoops. It's not a FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] level bit of record keeping. You may run across civil servants who just don't to put too much effort to helping you.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 12:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have a feeling, since this is a mobile home park that does have public roads and the home owners are entity has been abolished - each mobile home owns repair costs for half the road in front of and possibly behind (if it is only one trailer wide). Plus a percentage of and roads in common such as areas no mobile home is located, entrance and exits. Owners association's have their purpose. It looks like a good lawyer may be a starting point.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are there street signs of any type? Traffic signs of signals? Who takes care of repaving and repairing the roads outside your direct community?

Additionally, contact your mayor, council members.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 01:52 pm
@BillW,
You are closest to what I believe will be the result.
engineer

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 02:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
You probably know this already , but here is the website to report street issues. If they won't fix it, they should at least tell you specifically why.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 02:53 pm
@engineer,
I have talked to both Harris County today and Tomball. Nobody will commit to saving our street.
roger

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 03:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dig a big hole in the street. See who issues a citation.

Just kidding, but it might actually work.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 03:32 pm
@roger,
You possibly could mean Dig the hole deeper. Smile
roger

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 03:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
Oh! Probably wouldn't, then. Could be, nobody would notice.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 03:52 pm
I just had a thought - do you "own" the property? Mobile homes and property are two different elements in real property unlike "homes". If you don't own the property, then the owner has liability for the roads.

BTW, these are some of the reasons I would never buy a mobile home! Good luck, hope you find a cheap resolution.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 04:44 pm
@BillW,
I own it. The a--hole holding the title tried to tell me I missed payments, some more than ten years earlier. He showed me the payments list the company kept on me and if you could believe it, I had missed about six or eight, depending how you interpreted some of it. He got somebody "independent" to examine it and sure enough she declared I still owe lots of money. I gave him the name of a good property lawyer and told him I was on the verge of hiring him. In the same message, I told him I had bank records proving I made all payments. He then relented and gave me my paperwork to prove the property is mine. Some people have been fighting him over this stuff for years.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 05:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I live in a mobile home neighborhood in Harris County, Texas. Our neighborhood association was disbanded after somebody discovered it had never been legally started and people quit paying dues. We are plagued with potholes, but nobody admits to responsibility for repairing them. It was bad enough a few years ago, many of us gathered and made donations to get the main street potholes filled. It was no real solution, but it made the street more driveable. The county does not admit to owning these streets. Neither does the man who bought out the original company that started the neighborhood. I have been going in circles looking for information.

Edgar, start here: https://arcweb.hcad.org/parcelviewer/

Browse the map to your place and find the tax ID of your parcel. click on it and it should bring up all the info.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Title should tell you if you purchased the property with the trailer house, I think.

https://texaslawhelp.org/article/mobile-homes-and-law
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 06:45 pm
@BillW,
The original contract I signed specifies I bought it all.
BillW

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 07:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think in the long run that is good for you. After that, I can only wish you luck in getting the job done with the least out of pocket costs Exclamation
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Aug, 2019 07:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
So, what did they tell you, exactly?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How can I find out who owns the streets here?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:41:42