Shouldn't 'shall' be 'would' to agree with 'could'?

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 04:31 am
We shall be obliged if you could kindly look into this matter on an urgent basis and expedite the payments as the matter has been long delayed.

Shouldn't 'shall' be 'would' to agree with 'could'?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 355 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

maxdancona

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 06:40 am
@tanguatlay,
No, they are different clauses. The verbs don't need to agree.

The first "We shall be obliged" indicates certainty. The second, "if you could look into this matter" indicates politeness (the verb doesn't indicate certainty).

That being said, this sentence sounds poorly written to this native speaker from the United States.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 09:45 am
Thanks, Maxdancona.

How would you phrase the text?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 10:59 am
@tanguatlay,
You've already asked this question.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Sun 4 Aug, 2019 08:15 pm
I refer to Mr Dancona's missive of the 4th inst., remonstrate his parochial contention and assure him that the sentence is in perfect concordance with Victorian English c. 1840.
maxdancona

Mon 5 Aug, 2019 05:22 am
@nacredambition,
Forsooth!
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Mon 5 Aug, 2019 09:50 am
@nacredambition,
nacredambition wrote:

I refer to Mr Dancona's missive of the 4th inst., remonstrate his parochial contention and assure him that the sentence is in perfect concordance with Victorian English c. 1840.
I refer to Mr Dancona's letter dated the 4th inst., remonstrate his parochial contention and assure him that the sentence is in accordance with Victorian English c. 1840.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shouldn't 'shall' be 'would' to agree with 'could'?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 05:13:29