Affidavit Ballots

gollum

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:13 am
I think that there is something called Affidavit Voting whereby one person obtains a substantial number of ballot forms.

He then (presumably) gives one each of the ballots to various people that he knows. Each person then checks the candidates he wishes to vote for. Then he signs the ballot.

Then he gives the completed ballot to the man who gave him the form.

That man then gives all the completed ballots back to the Board of Elections.

I think the man also completes an Affidavit.

I think that there have been one or more scandals where the man fills out the ballots himself and forges voter names.

Does anyone know anything about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 293 • Replies: 4
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:25 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

I think that there is something called Affidavit Voting whereby one person obtains a substantial number of ballot forms.

He then (presumably) gives one each of the ballots to various people that he knows. Each person then checks the candidates he wishes to vote for. Then he signs the ballot.

Then he gives the completed ballot to the man who gave him the form.

That man then gives all the completed ballots back to the Board of Elections.

I think the man also completes an Affidavit.

I think that there have been one or more scandals where the man fills out the ballots himself and forges voter names.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Not even close. A person votes with an affidavit when her or his name has been ... for whatever reason purged from the voting registry.

By signing an affidavit, he or she claims to be someone who is legally qualified and registered to vote in a given area but for some reason their name isn't in the records of said voting district. By signing an affidavit, if that person isn't who he or she claims to be? They will be committing perjury (a serious crime).

An affidavit is needed because...
1. it legally binds the person to the claimed identity;
2. there isn't enough time to rectify the voting registry problem as these types of voting happen on election day.

You're mistakenly mushing two things that coincidentally involve voting irregularities. That of affidavit based voting and absentee ballots that were illegally filled out by third party voters.

Only the person whose name is on the absentee ballot can vote on said ballot with the exception where the voter has a disability or similar physical impediment where they need a third party to fill out the ballot for them. This third party individual has to sign and swear that they are legally filling out the ballot as strictly per the orders of the registered voter. If they discretely or otherwise vote against the wishes of the registered voter? The signee can be persecuted accordingly. But then again? It will likely go unnoticed if the registered voter doesn't double check the work of the designated signee/ballot filler outer.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:27 am
@gollum,
There is a current scandal in North Carolina where a man signed up people for absentee ballots, went to their homes and persuaded them to give his people the ballots, sometimes unsealed, and he then either filled them out or threw out ballots that were not for his candidate. I've never heard of the procedure you describe.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 11:39 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I've never heard of the procedure you describe.

He (the OP) doesn't know what he is talking about (despite allegedly living in NYC). Affidavit voting is a relative big thing in NYC as our goofy electoral board (either New York State Board of Elections or NYC Board of Elections) erroneously purge the voting database and many people who are wrongfully purged from the registry find out on voting day that they aren't in the system ... so they have to vote by signing an affidavit that they were properly registered at one time and should have the right to vote on election day.
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Mon 15 Jul, 2019 01:59 pm
@engineer,
engineer-

Thank you.

That was the case I was attempting to recall.
0 Replies