Is it easy to get on welfare?

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:24 pm
Some people tell me if I'm not working, I can just apply and I could get welfare money. Can you guys tell me why would they give money to a person like me? Don't you have to be injured, have kids or some hardship?? Anyone get welfare or knows of anyone who gets it have any idea?? Any specific criterias you have to be in?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,732 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:28 pm
start by defining "welfare", you can get food stamps with teh sole criteria being lack of income. other than that various forms of state sponsored welfare has pretty specific criteria requiring proof of need and/or disability.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:28 pm
First, criteria is the plural, criterion is the singular--there is no such word as "criterias."

Second, your qualifications for welfare depend upon the state in which you reside.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:34 pm
enguish is my second language.
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:41 pm
dyslexia wrote:
start by defining "welfare", you can get food stamps with teh sole criteria being lack of income. other than that various forms of state sponsored welfare has pretty specific criteria requiring proof of need and/or disability.

So lack of income? But wouldn't they just tell me, "Get a job!!!" or "get a second job!!!" I mean it can't be that easy to get food stamps or every lazy person would be going to the welfare office to get extra help. Aren't they going to ask me for proof that I tried applying for work or something like that? Do you think if I gave them proof of my bank account with only 200 dollars in it? There must be more before they help me. I'm just wondering.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:43 pm
If you got $200 in the bank, they won't give ya the time of day . . .
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:00 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you got $200 in the bank, they won't give ya the time of day . . .

What if I just take out the money from the account? Very Happy
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:17 pm
Welfare is not an easy program to be accepted into. You will have to prove you are incapable of finding a job on your own. You will have to go through counseling and job training. They will also find you a job (and most of them suck) if you cannot find your own. You cannot turn down any work. You will be supervised and monitored like you are an idiot. In some states you cannot own a car worth more than $2000. In some states you will be required to take regular drug tests. By applying for welfare you will basically be opening your door to the government who will hound you until you find a job and get off of public assistance. If it is ever discovered that your application was fraudulent (if you do not disclose that money in your mattress or the baby sitting job that pays cash) you will have to pay back all the money and probably do some jail time. Still sound like a good idea?
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:29 pm
Green Witch wrote:
Welfare is not an easy program to be accepted into. You will have to prove you are incapable of finding a job on your own. You will have to go through counseling and job training. They will also find you a job (and most of them suck) if you cannot find your own. You cannot turn down any work. You will be supervised and monitored like you are an idiot. In some states you cannot own a car worth more than $2000. In some states you will be required to take regular drug tests. By applying for welfare you will basically be opening your door to the government who will hound you until you find a job and get off of public assistance. If it is ever discovered that your application was fraudulent (if you do not disclose that money in your mattress or the baby sitting job that pays cash) you will have to pay back all the money and probably do some jail time. Still sound like a good idea?

What if i suffer from anxiety and have proof I go to a psycologist, and because of that, I can't work with people or be out doors, will that qualify me for something, foodstamps atleast?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:59 pm
A note from your doctor is meaningless. Your doctor will have to testify that you incapable of holding certain kinds of jobs. You will also be evaluated by a state appointed doctor. I also think you are confusing welfare with disability. In most states welfare is temporary - you eventually get kicked off. With disability you would be under constant review to see if you continue to qualify. Some very ill people get cut off because the state decides they are no longer candidates for assistance. Mental illness falls under a separate category from physical disability. Few states offer much for mental illness in the way of support. At best you will be allowed a regulated freebie stay at your local mental institution.

Food stamps are based on income and assets. You would have to fill out the paperwork- disclose every asset you own and talk to a social worker before being issued stamps. In NY I think you have to make less than $8,000 a year as a single person to qualify and no assests (like a car)worth over $2500. Rules might have changed since I helped my literacy students with this kind of paper work. Most of my students ended up using soup kitchens and food pantries, because the stamps never went very far.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:05 pm
By the way, who pays for your psychologist?
0 Replies

chris56789

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:27 pm
I had anxiety attacks and haven't been working for a year, and my money is running out, but I'm scared to go out cause of agrophobia, and i don't have any meds for it. And i only have proof Ive been to a psychologist couple years ago. My parents used to pay for the psychologist cause i had to use my own money for food and stuff before. But I'm going to run out soon and I'm staying with close friends. Does that qualify me?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:42 am
As anyone who has lived in a city knows - the place is full of people who need mental health care and are not getting it. The government has cut funding for mental illness to almost zero. You would have to see if you qualify for medicad. You need to go to your local state public aid offices (check the blue pages of your phone book) and talk to a counselor. Odds are there is not much they can do for you, but it won't hurt to ask. By the way, they will not be able do this on the phone - you will have to go an office, fill out the paperwork and sit until someone calls your name. The so called "safety net" in this country is very thin and most people just fall through. They also may insist on speaking with your family and getting them involved.
0 Replies