ROGER: River flood warning

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:30 pm
Roger, I saw the emergency flood warning for the Farmington area tonight. Are your home and workplace on high enough ground so you are not at risk?

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 404 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 12:31 am
River's Up

Home, such as it is, is entirely in the clear. So far as the workplace goes, I really have mixed feelings about the thought of the whole shebang gently bobbing down the San Juan.

Most of the paths and hard packed roads in the park I use for walking had sections that were under 6" - 18" of flowing water today. It looked lower than yesterday, though I could tell that the high water level overnight was way above the previous day. Oddly, outside of the park, itself, there isn't much near enough to the Animas to be really threatened in Farmington. Not so sure about the towns downstream, but they're on the San Juan after its confluence with the Animas, and the San Juan has much greater carrying capacity than the Animas.

Thanks for letting me know. Roger and 3 cats are safe and dry. It still looks weird to see all that water on clear sunny days.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 24 May, 2005 08:50 am
Roger
Roger, good news to know you and yours are safe from the flood waters. Bad news for others closer to the rivers.

Floods don't happen often in New Mexico. The larger than usual amount of mountain snow melting in 96 degree heat, added to the unusual amount of rain this Spring, is filling the water storage areas behind dams. People are nervously watching the dams, hoping they hold.

BBB
0 Replies