I need a good email service [Answered]

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:15 pm
Yahoo has been losing most of my incoming mail lately, so I'm shopping.

What I really want is somethng like Yahoo mail, but which actually works. Same features, and accessible from any computer, anywhere. I can live with ads, or I can even <gasp> pay. Can't put up with both, of course.

Open to suggestions. Okay, I solicite suggestions.

Oh, I did finally discover how to contact Yahoo, but no response. I guess another feature, then, would be an ability to contact support. Contact support, and get an answer, I mean.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,879 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:16 pm
Re: I need a good email service
roger wrote:
Yahoo has been losing most of my incoming mail lately, so I'm shopping.

What I really want is somethng like Yahoo mail, but which actually works. Same features, and accessible from any computer, anywhere. I can live with ads, or I can even <gasp> pay. Can't put up with both, of course.

Open to suggestions. Okay, I solicite suggestions.

Oh, I did finally discover how to contact Yahoo, but no response. I guess another feature, then, would be an ability to contact support. Contact support, and get an answer, I mean.

pm me your email addy and I will send you an invitation to gmail. It's really good.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:19 pm
Done. Ah, I wonder if the invitation is one that is going to get lost.

Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:41 pm
You should be squared away with it now.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:49 pm
I think so, but I'm a slow learner.

Geez, I can't believe how uncluttered the screen is with gmail.

Many thanks
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:14 pm
Your g-mail account's working, R. Dodger :wink:

I just set up a new MyWay account tonight. Not quite as straight-forward as Gmail, but the games are good. Dang Phoenix for turning me onto MyWay to begin with.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:19 pm
roger wrote:

Given that longevity is a big concern with email the top choices are:

Hotmail
Yahoo
Gmail

Of the three, Hotmail has the worst feature set and Gmail the best. The downside to Gmail is privacy, but more so as a precedent and standard than for the individual.

Gmail stands above the others easily due to its pop access.

BTW, that's all webmail. Few techies use webmail for a reason. The real step up is controlling your own email on a domain you own and you could probably do it for less than 3 bucks a month.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:21 pm
CRaven - tell us more!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:21 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
roger wrote:

Given that longevity is a big concern with email the top choices are:

Hotmail
Yahoo
Gmail

Of the three, Hotmail has the worst feature set and Gmail the best. The downside to Gmail is privacy, but more so as a precedent and standard than for the individual.

well don't tease us, how do you do that?

Gmail stands above the others easily due to its pop access.

BTW, that's all webmail. Few techies use webmail for a reason. The real step up is controlling your own email on a domain you own and you could probably do it for less than 3 bucks a month.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:22 pm
Can you tell me more about losing your incoming mail, roger? I get a ton of bulk and check it occasionally but it's such a chore to check every single one -- but I can think of at least two emails I expected to get, in a general way, that never arrived. (I have yahoo, too.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:33 pm
littlek wrote:
CRaven - tell us more!

About? Techies don't usually use webmail because it's slow. Techies usually don't use a third party domain for their mail because they realize that they have no control over it (as long as I can afford 7 bucks a year I can control my own domain).

You can get a domain for 7 bucks a year and get email hosting for about 30 bucks a year. If you don't like the host you can move.

If you know what you are doing having more control is a good thing. But if not, you are better off sticking to an easy webmail service (which Able2Know will eventually offer BTW, though I will still recommend that people control their own email).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:37 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
well don't tease us, how do you do that?

I almost missed this due to the way you quoted it BTW.

It's not any special inside info. Like most privacy threats, it is a threat to the society on the whole more so than the average individual.

They are normalizing the precedent of having the email read by the provider in a technological setting wherin the context is being analyzed. This is unlikely to harm the average individual in a way they can appreciate but is a big precedent for email.

Because all email sent to Gmail is read, it also poses more of a generalized privacy threat than just to the individuals who use it.

But that being said, Google packs a lot of quality to help make the privacy pill go down more smoothly. They are the most "big brother" company in internet history but they get away with it by being useful and largely up front about their data harvesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:39 pm
That's what I meant, Craven. I don't fully understand how it all works, but it's an interesting set of ideas to try and learn more about. How hard is it to 'know what you're doing' at your own domain?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:42 pm
I have yahoo which I use to get rid of a mass of bulk mail which, by the way, I have learned to glance over as once in, oh, 1500, I find an email from a friend that I want to read or perhaps a day's headlines from the NYTimes, usually pushed to Inbox, but not that day.

I cannot bear to actually read my mail from my yahoo lists, too tedious, excruciatingly tedious to read and delete, or even simply delete. Much faster on OE, which I understand from reading others' posts also sucks. For me it is useful.

I read yahoo mail from a friend's computer recently and felt stultified by the slowth. My old OExpress was faster re going through mail...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 10:09 pm
Okay, gmail is a done deal. Hope you got the new address osso.

Sure, Soz, and the problem had nothing to do with bulk mail. I do a lot of internet shopping, usually with the same dozen vendors, and I know which ones send order confirmation and shipping advice. Most of them do. Seemed like some of them were getting lax, and I didn't worry about it. Last week, I was helping with writing a spread sheet, and my accomplice sent me mail with an excel attachment. It never arrived. I watched her resend it. She used the correct address. Neither arrived. Since then, she, and Letty have both sent me test mails. None arrived.

In the interem, I received one joke from a friend, advertisements from Orbitz, Yahoo, and MidwayUSA. Still, none of my test mails arrived.

I did a google "Contact Yahoo" Friday night. Saturday, I realized I might not get their answer by YAHOO MAIL (of course) so sent the query advising them of an earthlink addy. Still no response. To heck with them.

So far as privacy goes, I just assume that if you don't want something repeated, don't say it. I ordered one book on diabetes control from amazon, and wonder of wonders, I started getting advertisements on my good old mail site for glucometers and painless needles. Maybe I'll use the earthlink address when ordering from amazon and keep gmail pure.

Any more specific questions, and I'll try to answer them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:46 pm
Urgggjjh, Roger, email me, and see if I get it. It might take twice as I am pretty swathtaking when I click on inbox...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 11:48 pm
Or, email me again, I might have been asleep as I answered mail.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:02 am
Quote:
I get a ton of bulk and check it occasionally but it's such a chore to check every single one -- but I can think of at least two emails I expected to get, in a general way, that never arrived. (I have yahoo, too.)

that's odd.
i've had the same free yahoo account since 2000.
i get no bulk mail, and i never lose incoming mail...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:05 am
Shocked

Really?

I've had mine since 1998 or so.

You get NO bulk mail?!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 10:08 am
i just realized why --
Quote: