Kick my grass. (But please be gentle.)

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:53 pm
Bermuda gets under and over that, K., says she who battled neighbors' grass in my parking strip until I was berserk. Wanted to make them weed it... hiss...

I use round up in my yard once or twice a year when the main dotting of newborn volunteers come up in the spring. No problem in front yard except that I can feel hisses coming from cars going by (I live on a traffic streat). No problem in the alley. In the backyard, I don't let Pacco out there for 48 hrs, just in case. Mostly the r/up is absorbed into the leaves quickly and works down to the roots and Pacco isn't much of a grass eater. Still, I give him walkies elsewhere for that day or two. (Farmerman, is that smart or dumb?)

For our design projects, many times the glycophosphate grow and kill routine (see their directions, it takes a bit of time as there are waiting periods) is important in new design installation. Especially for, say, algerian ivy....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:55 pm
Streat? A street on steak....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:56 pm
Farmer, you've mentioned acetic acid once or more before, somewhere, I think, and I've failed to memorize it. This time I'm paying attention.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 05:59 pm
And why do you use acetic acid in one place and glycophosphate in another.. for edibility for you and the animals?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 06:10 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Bermuda gets under and over that, K., says she who battled neighbors' grass in my parking strip until I was berserk. Wanted to make them weed it... hiss...

It has to help at least a little bit!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 07:37 pm
Yes, a bit. If I was going to do it now, I'd put in a 2 x 6 with steel tape holding pipe down two feet. Why f/k around, consider years worth of time.

When people shield against bamboo, they go down 18 to be sure, I think, and me, I'd do 24, to be sure-er.

My old boss, a kind of master in his way, was more in favor of sharp shovel cuts, re grass....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 07:47 pm
I should I suppose explain. I didn't start studying landscape architecture until I was forty. I know a lot and know nothing.
Have spent a lot of hours bapping stuff out and another bunch of them in complete perplexity. People who know less than me (I know them) have been on covers of national magazines, but then, I know less than at least a hundred uncredential folks I know.

I am more confident about design than in how to save your geranium, or mine. Design doesn't come up much on these boards. I tried to promote it early on and got virtually no interest. May try again one of these days.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 07:50 pm
(That was a tangent, not particular to this thread)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:00 pm
I'm interested in design!

More in reading than anything else, but interested.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:20 pm
Yeh, and I was off on my soap box.

I'll try to at least give some serious links from time to time.

For a quick runthrough of landscape design history, see Geoffrey Jelicoe's Landscapes of Man. Skips a lot but it's an overview.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 08:26 pm
Osso, I am trying to design on a small scale. The posts you made were design on a huge scale. Too much for my little brain.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:04 pm
I agree. Design principles were understood at the heyday time, with this or that riff on them. But they can be made clear and so can riffs on those ideas and arguments with those ideas.

I've never taught a course in design history, I just know that there is this amazing vacuum out there, even in Martha and House and Garden and so on. It is all really lightweight - not that I am such an expert - as that I can see light in weight in magazines.

TV doesn't get near it (I can't abide whatever its name tv. Completely f'd up re anything I've seen and known about. First to the cheesy, re the garden.)

Cut to explain I haven't watched in at least a decade so this will sound antique, but the only program I ever saw that zoned in on design was one with Audrey Hepburn as a speaker, and that was of course about a formal garden, which as we all know is not the only way to go.

If I had more energy or pizzazz I'd try to get a program going. I know various possible speakers.

I ventured there in my mind, not on gardens, but on crafts worldwide, a decade ago, and gave up before I got started, even though at the time I had a good front person, a tv anchor friend who loves crafts and collects them and speaks reasonably well in at least a few languages. That was around the time Turner was accepting ideas here and there.

Sigh. Our divorce happened around then and I never got back to it. But in truth I am not aggressive enough.

Still, design is only slightly represented - people don't know the basics, and I didn't either until I took a course at UCLA Extension called Elements of Design. They ought to package that, it really woke me up.
0 Replies