Anyone remember the title of this book?

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 12:53 pm
It's not one I want to read, it just came up in conversation the other day.

It was written in either the 1970's or 80's.

I guess you would call it a self help book. I seem to remember it had a 2 word title, like "The Gift" or "The Journey" or something like that. (it's not The Prophet)

All I remember is it's like a parable where at one point the main character is traveling in a jungle of some kind, traveling to find something. Or maybe a country that has a jungle.

To me, it reminded me of a Jonathan Livingston Seagull type of thing.

I remember a then friend gave it to me to read, one of those "This really changed my life" type of thing. For me, I was bored to tears very quickly.

It moved at glacial speed, was repetitive, but apparantly that was what was giving it some deep meaning. I think he had to travel to all these places, and would find or learn something there, leading to success/enlightenment????

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 01:07 pm
@chai2,
I think I read it, but can't recall the title. It seemed like every time it got boring (which wasn't rare) they'd trot out some guys with machine guns. If I come up with the title, I'll get back to you. I do remember people thinking it was more important than I did.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 01:44 pm
@chai2,
This is 1993 and is more than two words, but it caused a bit of a stir at the time and has a jungle in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Celestine_Prophecy
chai2

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Oh! Oh! Oh!

That's It!

Thanks alot.

Wow, talk about false memories. Wrong decade, wrong number of words. Now that I have the correct year, I'm actually putting what I was doing at that time in context.

Anyway, the reason I was trying to remember it, was as I said, it came up (sorta) in a converstion I was having with a friend. Lately he's been sending me links to podcasts and such that's he's been listening to as he falls asleep. I just accept them in the spirit they are given, as he finds them helpful and makes him feel good to share. What I find is a few minutes into them I'm like "holy crap". I think if I were falling into the arms of morpheus when listening I might find them....uh....deep....or something. But not when awake. I just always thank him, with something like "wow, that was interesting." I did mention to him the other day that "that reminded me of something (common friend) gave me once", and let him think that was good.

Now I'm gonna have to go look that book up.

chai2

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 02:14 pm
@chai2,
On second thought....

whoo boy, just trying to read that Wiki description made my eyes glaze over.

Don't know if I could concentrate for 5 minutes on it.
0 Replies