How will this petition work?

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:56 am
I recently got a mail from a friend. Inside was a petition to save the Brazilian rainforest. The mail contained a list of 235 names from around the globe, and I was asked to write my name down on it and copy the mail to all I knew. I could also read that the 400th person should send the list back to a given address.

My question is how will this petition work?

What puzzles me is that a lot of new lists with the same names are going to be sent to others. If some of the lists were going to get 400 names there would be many identical names sent back to the starter.

Lets say that only 5 people are going to send the mail out, and this continues until the list has increased with 20 new entries. There has now been generated 5^20 (!) new lists. If it would go on like this the mail-starter would not get mail at all. It is possible that a list might contain 400, but I think it is unlikely.

I remember a study made in Harvard that said something about how far a random person is counted like a friends friends friend etc. I think a random person is less than "7 friends away", but I don't remember that number exactly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 10:21 pm
You have discovered the problem. My advice would be to not yourself become part of the problem.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 11:24 pm
Re: How will this petition work?
hungry hippo wrote:
I remember a study made in Harvard that said something about how far a random person is counted like a friends friends friend etc. I think a random person is less than "7 friends away", but I don't remember that number exactly.

The study (i don't recall the provenance) decided that there were "six degrees of separation" between any two people on the globe. That phrase, "six degrees of separation," became a fad expression, and one quicly grew tired of hearing and seeing it.
0 Replies