Sleeping problems

BOEF

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 02:21 pm
so i kinda have sleeping problems, i can sleep almost anytime except when i need to sleep, and i just dont want to, last night i stayed up until 7 am.. IM 14 YEARS OLD, i shouldn't, i just do it, now its almost 1am and i have school tomorrow, does anybody know a way to make me want to sleep at a normal schedule?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 557 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 02:36 pm
@BOEF,
Make sure you stop drinking or eating anything with caffeine or excessive sugar after about noon. That means coffee, tea, soda, and even chocolate.

This won't necessarily 100% cure the problem, but it will eliminate one reason why you might be having trouble sleeping.

A few more suggestions: if you have a TV in your room, turn it off when you want to sleep. Stop checking your phone maybe 15 - 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. And if you play video games, stop them then, too.

Why? Because all of these can be stimulants as well.
BOEF

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 03:33 pm
@jespah,
i dont eat or drink a lot of sugar, but that isn't the problem, i can sleep, i just kinda doesn't want to, its hard to explain. i think its something like i can make a day with 3 hours sleep so my body just sleeps 3 hours, because i can still work with it, and i dont want it to do that
jespah

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 03:42 pm
@BOEF,
Then get more exercise, and you'll want to sleep a lot longer than 3 hours.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 04:01 pm
@BOEF,
1. You should talk to your doctor about this. There are some medical conditions that make is more difficult to sleep (including sleep apnea and depression).

2. This is a fairly common problem for teenagers.

3. There are proven ways to fix this. It involves self discipline. You can google "sleep hygiene". They have done research on this.

Quote:
Some habits that can improve your sleep health:

Be consistent. Go to bed at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning, including on the weekends

Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, relaxing, and at a comfortable temperature
Remove electronic devices, such as TVs, computers, and smart phones, from the bedroom

Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime

Get some exercise. Being physically active during the day can help you fall asleep more easily at night.

https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/sleep_hygiene.html

4. If you put in the effort to fix this, it can make your life better in other ways.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 08:47 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Make sure you stop drinking or eating anything with caffeine or excessive sugar after about noon. That means coffee, tea, soda, and even chocolate.

This won't necessarily 100% cure the problem, but it will eliminate one reason why you might be having trouble sleeping.

A few more suggestions: if you have a TV in your room, turn it off when you want to sleep. Stop checking your phone maybe 15 - 30 minutes before you want to go to sleep. And if you play video games, stop them then, too.

Why? Because all of these can be stimulants as well.

I even suggest not having a TV, computer or phone in your room when you sleep and anything other electronics with those little lights - any of that can throw you off. Those darn little lights have caused issues with sleeping.

Teens do tend to have different "clocks" and have a tendency to be up later - but you can "train" yourself. Keep a routine each night that includes things that would relax you - like noted above avoiding stimulants (most electronics) and focus on things relaxing...a warm shower, you can also try relaxing music, exercises...my daughter says there are some music you can download --- it plays current music that teens like but without the words just instrumental -- she finds it helps her relax.
0 Replies