Would insecurity be the main cause of our creating and adoring evil gods?

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 10:09 am
Would insecurity be the main cause of our creating and adoring evil gods?

Humans are the most insecure animals on the planet.

The root of our selfish gene creates insecurity, which feeds our tribal nature; feeding our desire to join religions and other tribes. This we should see as a loving gesture.

This loving bias simultaneously creates a hate or negative bias to whatever would threaten a human’s new tribe.

Hate is thus good and should not be censored.

In its expression on such sites, I think it would improve us all if we showed our hate with more couth and fewer locker room expletives. I digress.

Our gods, who are political and religious; are all good in our eyes. Yet, they use concepts like killing and genocides, inquisitions and jihads, penalties for minor infractions, --- like death, --- that goes way past an eye for an eye, --- etc. etc. etc.

We are what we think our ideals are. I think we are more moral than our ideal garbage gods.

Our insecurity wants a god that is all powerful and will do anything to save you, and to hell with all that you do not like. Our selfish gene wants to rule the world.

If not insecurity, why do you think we give up our freedom to political and religious con persons and other flagrant liars?

Regards
DL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjRy29R4gP8
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 839 • Replies: 19
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 02:46 pm
The3y're all evil. Well, no, I take that back. They're all nonexistent but they would all be evil if they existed.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 02:51 pm
@MontereyJack,
How do you know this? has someone from the God Believers or Godworld visited from the afterlife to tell you this?

(did they bring photos of a film too)
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 03:07 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

The3y're all evil. Well, no, I take that back. They're all nonexistent but they would all be evil if they existed.

Why?

I could likely come up with a scenario for a good god if I tried hard and modeled him in part on Jesus. I have even developed my own set of commandments for the good god I see from my Gnostic Christian position.

You might also be able to imagine ne as all you would have to do is have your god not do the evil garbage that the bible has Yahweh doing.

Regards
DL

maxdancona

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 03:27 pm
@Greatest I am,
Quote:

How could you possibly know this. Did you take a poll?

I have known some very insecure dogs... I suspect that primates and many social mammals have the same brain pathways related to what humans call "insecurity". Birds preen, many animals decorate nests or do dances or make displays of dominance.

I suspect there is an evolutionary value to insecurity. It provides a pressure to get along and to fit into a society or social group. My insecurity about my gut gets me to go to the gym. I am pretty sure this improves my mating chances.

Jewels Vern

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 02:43 am
@Greatest I am,
You have posted an answer masquerading as a question. That is not nice.

You also have made a lot of assumptions and stated a lot of made up baloney. That is not nice either.

Post again when you want an actual discussion.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:35 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

I could likely come up with a scenario for a good god if I tried hard and modeled him in part on Jesus. I have even developed my own set of commandments for the good god I see from my Gnostic Christian position.

Your good god wouldn't be much good for the powers that be. If you rebel against the divine church/king then god will forgive you doesn't keep the masses under control.
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 05:24 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

How could you possibly know this. Did you take a poll?

I have known some very insecure dogs... I suspect that primates and many social mammals have the same brain pathways related to what humans call "insecurity". Birds preen, many animals decorate nests or do dances or make displays of dominance.

I suspect there is an evolutionary value to insecurity. It provides a pressure to get along and to fit into a society or social group. My insecurity about my gut gets me to go to the gym. I am pretty sure this improves my mating chances.

You do not like that I say we are the most insecure animal on the planet, yet offer nothing to refute it.

Regardless, what other animal do you know that is more dependent on others of it's kind for as long as a human baby?

What other animal cannot escape predation on it's own than humans?

There is indeed evolutional benefits for us to be as we are. Individually we are great, as stated, but as various tribes and groups competing against each other for resources, we are too collectively stupid to see what we are doing to our eco system.

Our genes are set up for tribal living and not the hivish living most of us now do.

I like your dog analogy, but have you ever noted how baby dogs confidently walk to and play with us, while so many babies and toddlers I have known start to cry or whine when they are given to a person that they are not used to?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 05:31 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Your good god wouldn't be much good for the powers that be. If you rebel against the divine church/king then god will forgive you doesn't keep the masses under control.

Divine church!!

The church that had to use inquisitions and murder to grow because they cannot produce a decent moral argument for their idiocy rules and laws?

The church that still uses a lower level of inquisition against women and gays with their homophobic and misogynous teachings?

The church that has you adoring a genocidal son murdering prick of a god that it can somehow see as good?

Thanks for showing your mind set. Get well.

Regards
DL
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 12:32 am
@Greatest I am,
You really are quite dim.

I italicised part of my response to show how the powers that be wouldn't be able to use it to control, the sort of thing they would say.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone that I wasn't calling the church divine, but not you.

Stupid people really shouldn't try to act profound because sooner or later reality bites and everything comes crashing down.

Your mind is set in concrete.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 19 Jun, 2019 08:10 pm
@Greatest I am,
Quote:
Regardless, what other animal do you know that is more dependent on others of it's kind for as long as a human baby?

Yes, several. Orcas are dependent on their mothers for longer. Chimpanzees have a stronger dependence.

I don't know why you think taking care of each other is a sign of "insecurity". All of the social animals take care of, and depend on each other. It is a sign of evolutionary advancement.

Quote:

I don't even know what this means. If prey animals could always escape predation, then the predators would die. Humans have very few predators.

There are many animals who band together to ward off predators. Look at any of the herd animals... zebras for example.

Quote:
we are too collectively stupid to see what we are doing to our eco system

Humans see what we are doing to our eco system. They spend a lot of time talking about climate change. Climate scientists, and ecologists are human beings (I don't know of any other species that has either climate scientists or ecologists).

There are several species that have severely damaged their own ecosystem. As far as I am aware, human beings are the only species that has recognized this.

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Yes, several. Orcas are dependent on their mothers for longer. Chimpanzees have a stronger dependence.

I don't know why you think taking care of each other is a sign of "insecurity". All of the social animals take care of, and depend on each other. It is a sign of evolutionary advancement.

Quote:

I don't even know what this means. If prey animals could always escape predation, then the predators would die. Humans have very few predators.

There are many animals who band together to ward off predators. Look at any of the herd animals... zebras for example.

Quote:
we are too collectively stupid to see what we are doing to our eco system

Humans see what we are doing to our eco system. They spend a lot of time talking about climate change. Climate scientists, and ecologists are human beings (I don't know of any other species that has either climate scientists or ecologists).

There are several species that have severely damaged their own ecosystem. As far as I am aware, human beings are the only species that has recognized this.

Orcas and most other animals can run from predation after just a few minutes. Humans cannot for many months and years.

Human children are more dependent on their parents for a longer time than all other animals and that is why we are the most insecure.

That is why we are also the most altruistic otherwise we would not be balanced and would likely go extinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADgh3yCSdM

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:31 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is news to me.
What species?
I will take whatever link you can provide.

Regards
DL
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 09:34 am
@Greatest I am,
It has happened many times, where one species uses up all the resources and then goes extinct.

Read about the Great Oxygenation Event... that was 2.45 billion years ago (long before humans evolved).

450 millions years ago ecological changes caused by metazoans led to mass extinctions. https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12328108/ediacaran-metazoan-mass-extinction-fossil-study
maxdancona

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 10:27 am
@maxdancona,
I had to remember the term for a species that has a dramatic impact on its own environment. It is "ecosystem engineers".

Modern examples are elephants (who knock down trees and pull up grass) and beavers (who clear cut parts of forests). There are also ants, locusts and gypsy moths (the caterpillars can damage forests).
0 Replies

Methen

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 08:26 am
Good and Evil all come down to the difference of opinion what might be good for one may be evil to another...
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 09:21 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

It has happened many times, where one species uses up all the resources and then goes extinct.

Read about the Great Oxygenation Event... that was 2.45 billion years ago (long before humans evolved).

450 millions years ago ecological changes caused by metazoans led to mass extinctions. https://www.theverge.com/2016/7/29/12328108/ediacaran-metazoan-mass-extinction-fossil-study

You are blaming a species for it's extinction when it was environmental change that did the extinction.

That aside, it is a well known fact that when a species takes over too much of any environment that it will likely produce an organism within the group that could drive the whole species to extinction.

That is why we fear a new chicken flue every year.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 09:27 am
@Methen,
Methen wrote:

Good and Evil all come down to the difference of opinion what might be good for one may be evil to another...

Sure, most moral tenets are subjective. That does ot take away that better than 70% of us all share a general moral view based on reciprocity.

In discussions, I think I have only seen two moral tenets that I would call objective. Those are that the good of the many outweigh the good of the few and that killing when one can cure is evil.

Tell me if you agree and if you have found any objective moral tenets.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 09:59 am
@Greatest I am,
You are missing the point.

The environmental change in the oxygenation event was caused by these "species" who then went extinct.

Hopefully humans are smart enough to avoid this fate (the jury is still out), but if human beings as a species cause an environmental shift drastic enough to lead to their own extinction, they won't be the first species to have done this.
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 8 Jul, 2019 10:01 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

You are missing the point.

The environmental change in the oxygenation event was caused by these "species" who then went extinct.

Yes. The eco system could not support them just as we are pushing our eco system to where it cannot sustain us.

Regards
DL
0 Replies