Where's your Profile?

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:21 pm
Okay, A2Kers. Many of us have failed to fill in our profiles, and the A/S/L Forum barely introduced anybody to A2K. Soooo....... here's the deal; how about A. Filling in some personal info on your profile page, then letting us know it's now 'complete,' or B. Share some stuff about yourself such as Interests=(I), Sports=(S), Books=(B), Have Traveled=HT, Wish to Travel=WT, Work=(W) or Retired=(R), and Anything Else=(AE).

So I'll give it a kick-start:
I - Gardening (have a Japanese garden in the back yard) and home repairs (nothing major)
S - Football - like to watch
B - Try to read 3 or 4 books/year Now reading "The Climate of the Country" by Marnie Mueller. It's a story about the Tule Lake Concentration Camp we were in during WWII. This is probably my fifth book this year.
HT - Too long to list
WT - Machu Picchu, Galapagos Islands, Viet Nam, Costa Rica (visited for less than one day on a cruise), Antarctica, Iceland, Nova Scotia, Taiwan, and Israel (when it's safe).
R - Retired for five years, and love every minute.
AE - Friends and family ask me to write my autobiography. Maybe I'll make an attempt after our taxes our filed. I also applied to the Santa Clara County for Grand Jury service.
c.i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 32
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:33 pm
Cool idea.

I've neglected my profile for several reasons, but they include, 1) I don't necessarily like handing out the most salient information to people who don't know me and 2) the people who do know me, know me. Like, I'm not at all shy about saying that I'm deaf, but I don't necessarily want someone new, checking out my profile, to know that immediately. I prefer that people get to know me first and not have preconceptions. That goes for being a stay-at-home mom, too.

So that leaves something creative and interesting and non-resume-ish and I haven't been able to do anything along those lines yet. (Tried a few times, failed miserably.)

But I'll answer here:

I = Modern Indian fiction
S = Depends on season. Probably like basketball best, but during football season, am a rabid Packers fan
B = Oh, kinda answered that with "I". Don't read nearly as much as I used to, probably read only 10-12 books a year these days, plus a lot of short fiction.
HT = Umm, lived in London for 6 months, traveled in Europe for a month after that, another trip to Europe, all over the US
WT = Whoa, lots of places. Would like to do the Orient Express.
W = Formerly director of a social services agency, now stay-at-home mom with a few consulting gigs, committees, etc.
AE = Have a children's book and an article percolating -- both have received interest from actual publishers and need to get working on them. Would love to be a published author. (Well, I am, but small time. Published illustrator, too -- I get checks for about $50 every 6 months as the series I illustrated in 1995 continues to chug along selling tiny but steady amounts.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 09:55 pm
Thanks sozobe. That wasn't 'THAT' hard, was it? Wink After your mention of the Orient Express, I'm ready for that adventure too! My wife and I are doing the Trans-Canada Train Tour from Montreal to Vancouver in early August. Did Eurail Europe a few years ago, and loved it. c.i.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:03 pm
I=I like gardening as well. Vegetable gardening is my love. I also love doing crafts such as knitting, painting ceramics, rug kits, etc...

S=I'm really not into sports really unless they are video games.

B= I'm more of a magazine reader than I am books, but when it comes to books I like westerns and love stories. I will also read some Stephen King when the mood strikes. The magazines I like to read are Farm & Ranch, Reminise, Crafts, cooking, gardening, country magazines, horse mags, etc...

HT= I haven't traveled much. I have only been to the US and Canada.

WT= I would love to some day take a trip to Australia.

W= Home schooling my son.

AE=I love country living and don't care much for cities. I enjoy the peace and quiet that comes with living in the country. I enjoy talking with people from all over the world and like to learn about their culture, etc.. I very open about my feelings and that pretty much tells my story. Oh, and I am a single mom with a 15 year old son.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:04 pm
CI
That should be a very nice trip. I hope you and your wife have a wonderful time :-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:05 pm
Now why o why would Gezzy want to go to Australia? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Very Happy
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:05 pm
I forgot to mention also that cooking is one of my favorite interests.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:07 pm
Sozobe
Why, whatever do you mean? LOL! I heard the view was lovely over there ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:10 pm
Quite lovely. Rather buff, too. Wink
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
Oh, so I've heard..........:-D
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:12 pm
Interests=(I), Sports=(S), Books=(B), Have Traveled=HT, Wish to Travel=WT, Work=(W) or Retired=(R), and Anything Else=(AE).

I-Biology, home improvement-because I'm studying biology and I've got a home that needs improving.

S-Love cricket, rugby league, motorcycle racing.

HT-Have hardly travelled at all.

WT-Would like to see some of Africa, the US and especially CANADA.

W-Work as an electrician in a steel plant with 6000 other wretched souls-the reason I'm studying biology.

AE-Like getting on my motorcycle and riding up into the hills. You just forget everything except the road in front and the next bend.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:16 pm
Hello there you Australian man. Hey maybe you could be my guide if I should ever take a trip your way ;-)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:20 pm
gezzy wrote:
Hello there you Australian man. Hey maybe you could be my guide if I should ever take a trip your way ;-)

Guide, slave, whatever you want.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:22 pm
I was hoping you'd say that ;-)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:39 pm
gezzy, I'd be your slave - very cheap too! Wink Australia is very nice, because the people are. When I went to Australia, I was not all that enthusiastic, but once I got there, the people, and the east coast of Australia stole my heart. The Rain Forest, The Great Barrier Reef, Cairns, Port Douglas, and Sydney did not disappoint one bit. Even went on the Bridge Climb in Sydney. The food and wine are fantastic. I'm ready for a return trip! c.i.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2003 10:52 pm
Moi? I. Reading, films, history, my work, walking, cats, animals generally, politics, persiflage, dining/cooking, futzing about, interiors, having fun with friends and entertaining, learning stuff - would like travel to be more of an interest!, generally knowing about stuff, humour and being silly, environment, people, gardening - as much as I can now wiv only a balcony, music, singing myself. All I can remember for now.

S. No thanks! I can watch tennis and horse stuff, except racing - can handle cricket on the telly in the background in summer. I like walking and boche ball. Would like to still play tennis and ride - but my back is too bad - and I am not fit enough!
Sometimes go to gym.

B. All the time - though less as I spend more time on net. I love fiction, biography and autobiography, non-fiction - getting to love poetry more. I usually have several books on the go - often very different ones - and I re-read classics and favourites. Have always loved it from the moment I could read, and have never been without a book since.

HT: Woefully little! England, Japan, Singapore, the USA and Canada.

WT: Europe, back to the USA - especially more time in NYC, time in San Francisco, the west, travel across USA and Canada by train, India, Tibet, Asia generally, Russia, South America.

W: Yes, constantly!
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 12:39 am
Shocked
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 12:47 am
Boy, my life sounds so boring compared to you guys. You people are very interesting.

Thanks Ci ;-) and thanks for posting the question. One of my favorite things is learning new things about people.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 10:45 am
LarryBS, Interesting autobiography. Thanks for sharing. After reading your post on (S), I want to expand mine to include watching sports on t.v. such as ice skating, women basketball, olympics (ofcoarse), and some golf. On your TW, I've been to all the places you listed except Tibet. I had the opportunity to fly to Mt Everest, and we had the perfect, clear day for picture taking. I'll post one of my photos later on. When in Nepal, we stayed at the Ft Resort on the foothills of the Himalayas. The scenery was awesome. Our assistant guide in Nepal also does tricks to the Himalayas, and he's the only one that sent me an email after our return home. If you have any questions on the other destinations, I'll be more than happy to try and answer them. Been to Egypt and China twice, and once to the other destinations. Love them all! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2003 11:28 am
Here's my Mt Everest photo taken in November 2001. c.i.
http://pic3.picturetrail.com./VOL11/869904/inbox/t-74377.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where's your Profile?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/26/2024 at 06:46:23