What's the best way to do word searches?

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:09 pm
A systematic method where you just scan rows for a patterns or rare letters, or just to stare at it and "see" words?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,684 • Replies: 7
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:19 pm
I'm not exactly sure what you're after but I like to use www.rhymezone.com. They have all kinds of searchs including a "match these letters" search which will find a all words using a sequence of letters.
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 03:37 pm
No I mean like a word find. Lots of letters with words somewhere there. Thanks for the site though, even if it's unrelated to the question it finds rhymes. I never knew there was such a site, now I can come up with some corny poetry. Smile
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:37 am
Manticore, it doesn't just find rhymes just change the heading and you can search for all kinds of words.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 06:44 am
I just decide which word i'll scan for... say it's.... elephant

Ok so i go left to write looking for e, then right to left down the next row, then right to left... kinda like how you move on a snakes and ladders board

Once i find and E i look at all 8 of the letters around it until i spot an L... if not then i move on and repeat. Once i get the E-L i look for the next E and so on...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 21 May, 2005 02:16 pm
Control F key combination will get you there on a computer within most documents. Works on internet pages, and I use it almost constantly in Excel files.
0 Replies

Shekeda

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:47 am
Re: What's the best way to do word searches?
manticore wrote:
What's the best way to do word searches? A systematic method where you just scan rows for a patterns or rare letters, or just to stare at it and "see" words?

Usually, I don't do word searches as they give me the "irrits" but if I'm in the mood I do one (eg: If I really want the prize) in the following way.

First I slowly scan the lines left to right to see if any words 'pop out' that are placed the "correct" way. Then I'll do the same thing, right to left, reading backwards. After that, I usually go down the list for a word to scan for then look back and forth on the grid (snakes & ladders fashion Smile) for the first letter of a word, then look 'out' to see if the second letter is next to it in any direction etc.

I find if I circle each individual letter in a word I can more easily see the ones that haven't been used, yet. When almost finished, several consecutive uncircled letters - usually another word - easily show up. Sometimes I write down the unused letters when there are still a couple of words to find. (Handy for when you just CAN'T find those last couple of (usually short) words)! You can usually work out the answer (especially if it's a phrase) by disregarding any extra letters in the result.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:39 am
If I am trying to complete it as fast as I can - first I will scan the puzzle to see if any of the words stand out that I can quickly find.

Next I choose the larger words as they are easiest to find. As these words are larger I work from the outside in and/or search for the rare letter in the word - like an X. Then work systematically looking for the rare letters in the words.
0 Replies