Trump announces its just dandy to have foreign govts. involved in US elections

georgeob1

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2019 01:08 pm
@BillRM,
On the contrary Trump has reinvigorated NATO by challenging the long term failures of our NATO allies to live up to their Military spending commitments and the conduct of NATO military exercises in critical areas - of which the now ongoing NATO naval exercises in the Baltic just off the coasts of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania is a salient example.

We had an acronym for one who is wrong a lot : it was WEFT. You appear to qualify.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 12:09 am
@georgeob1,
No only has he reinvigorated NATO, they may decide they don't need us any longer. He blabs to our enemies and insults our allies. He's a shining light of hocus pocus opiate for the tea bagger types.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 04:17 am
@glitterbag,
If Europe wishes to fend off Putin on their own without any help from us, that's fine with me.

But if Poland prefers that we continue to help them protect themselves, we should continue to help them even if we abandon everyone else.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 06:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But if Poland prefers that we continue to help them protect themselves, we should continue to help them even if we abandon everyone else.
Just a short time ago, you told us, NATO troops east of Germany were a thread for Russia, and Putin had every right to defend Russia.

What's the reason you've changed your opinion?

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 06:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
No change in my opinion. The Poles are decent people. I'm happy to help them if they want our help.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:06 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
The Poles are decent people.
So I guess, the Baltic countries citizens aren't decent.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:12 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

No only has he reinvigorated NATO, they may decide they don't need us any longer. He blabs to our enemies and insults our allies. He's a shining light of hocus pocus opiate for the tea bagger types.

That's certainly possible now that the Soviet threat has been eliminated and Europe more or less united. Moreover I suspect the EU organization, absorbed in its own ambitions for its power through "ever closer union", would like to see the NATO national security relations with the US leave the stage. However the world remains a dangerous place, and Europe now faces new, emerging threats from the South, along with a still unruly Putin. As a result, I doubt they will act on it. Frankly Europe needs us far more than we them, and their unwillingness to adequately fund a defense establishment makes them a rather needy and dependent partner. The best thing for the United States would be a strong relationship with a still vigorous Europe: absent that, no treaty at all is better than the remaining alternatives.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've not heard anything offensive from the Baltic states.

All the offensive anti-American nonsense tends to come from western Europe.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:34 am
@oralloy,
Then i wonder why you accept NATO troops in Poland but not in the other states east of Germany.
oralloy

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:53 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I was addressing someone's hypothetical where NATO would be disbanded (or at least, the US would no longer be a part of NATO).

The US helping out Poland in such a situation would not involve any NATO troops.

The reason why I suggest helping out Poland is because they are genuinely friendly towards us. We never have to worry about Poland stabbing us in the back. They're good people.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2019 07:58 am
@oralloy,
Since September 1999, there's NATO's Multinational Corps Northeast - the USA is a member of it since 2006 (German Commander, Polish Deputy Corps Commander, Danish Chief of Staff).
The US-army is taken part momentarily with the Corps' exercise Dragon 19. (Kind of subexercise of the larger Baltic exercise.)

Multinational Corps Northeast
0 Replies