Is mental illness just overdone? is it all a pretense?

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 07:56 am
It feels real when i have the knife to my skin. When i puke my guts out because i feel im too fat. When i feel physically unable to get out of bed, curling up under the covers till the bed's damp and sweaty and i wish i could get up but i cant face the world yet. Or ever. But then it seems like every other teenager in this world feels this way. So are we all really sick? Or do we just want sympathy n attention so bad we fake it to the point that we ourselves think oh hell im sick as ****? Disclaimer: im not saying mental illness does not exist. It does. It is a sickness that must be treated. Im talking specifically about teenagers. Are most of us really sick? Or are we just buying into today's sad culture full of billie eilishes and melanie martinezes and thirteen reasons why? are we just taking regular ol' sadness to be depression n God knows what else?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,448 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 11:29 am
@viviryki,
If you stand against it,
at least you'll have a chance.
What some call creativity
is only negativity.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 11:46 am
@viviryki,
Teenagers are going through so many changes in their lives. There is puberty the physical side and in teens the hormones are going crazy. Some teens more than others. So in part, it is the age, but for some teens it is even worse. Not to mention you are learning to be self sufficient and more independent - no wonder teens have such a hard time dealing with all this.

Some of the items you are talking about are beyond what is "normal" or just being a teen. That is not to say what you describe is uncommon, but just a bit more that you should seek help.

For example this sounds more like a teen:
Quote:
When i feel physically unable to get out of bed, curling up under the covers till the bed's damp and sweaty and i wish i could get up but i cant face the world yet.

Where this is more serious:
Quote:
It feels real when i have the knife to my skin. When i puke my guts out because i feel im too fat

When you are doing anything causes harm it crosses over the threshold from teen - to teen that should seek help.

I have two daughters and they both reacted/is reacting to their teen years differently. My older was more like the average teen. Some anxiety, some stresses but not where she ever even thought of harming herself.

The other that is a teen now is quite the opposite. We have gotten her help - she sees a therapist every other week to help her deal with anxiety and stress and depression. These are real feelings although to those on the outside might think she is being over dramatic, seeking attention, etc. She just simply is not made the way her sister is. Things just hit her harder and she has a harder time to deal with teenage stresses.

You are not "sick" you simply need someone to help guide you. Better more productive ways of dealing with teenage stress.. being a teen is not easy so it is understandable that you may feel the way you do --- you just need someone who is experienced in this area to talk it out with you and help you find ways to improve your self imagine, to show you how to deal with anxiety when you feel like not getting out of bed.
viviryki

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 01:02 pm
@Linkat,
thank you for replying. i approached my parents about this once, about cutting specifically n they just laughed n told me i had no idea what depression was. i once also approached the school counselor n she was concerned n called my parents in but they are convinced im just seeking attention. ive almost attempted suicide twice but my cousin stopped me (the first time i approached him because i was dangerously close to slitting my wrists n my cousin talked me out of it and the second time he caught me id swallowed around 4 pills of the 3 bottles i intended to down) but even when he approached my parents they just said i was being dramatic. n hes the only person who counts as an adult who believes me (hes 21) but he cant do much for me he still lives in our house (my parents my brothers my cousin aunt n uncle we all live together) and hes dependent on his parents hes still at uni. i just dont know what to do.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jun, 2019 02:06 pm
@viviryki,
viviryki wrote:

thank you for replying. i approached my parents about this once, about cutting specifically n they just laughed n told me i had no idea what depression was. i once also approached the school counselor n she was concerned n called my parents in but they are convinced im just seeking attention. ive almost attempted suicide twice but my cousin stopped me (the first time i approached him because i was dangerously close to slitting my wrists n my cousin talked me out of it and the second time he caught me id swallowed around 4 pills of the 3 bottles i intended to down) but even when he approached my parents they just said i was being dramatic. n hes the only person who counts as an adult who believes me (hes 21) but he cant do much for me he still lives in our house (my parents my brothers my cousin aunt n uncle we all live together) and hes dependent on his parents hes still at uni. i just dont know what to do.

I'm sorry - I think your parents probably mean well - but do not fully understand. I know my husband is having a difficult time with this and he has a hard time understanding as well. It isn't he doesn't care - it can be a difficult thing to understand for some people that maybe have never experienced it and tend not to be open to it.

I'd suggest going back to your counselor at school. Let her know what your parents are saying - does the counselor know you attempted suicide? Because cutting is not typically a sign of suicide, but more to relieve stress - this is important to find an adult that can help you.

Could you also visit your doctor? Do you think your parents would bring you to your doctor? She/he could also be a resource and maybe be able to convince your parents that this is more than just drama/seeking attention.

I attended a suicide prevention seminar that was offered at work - these are the resources they suggest us to help someone if they are in this situation:

Visit -
Your Primary Care Provider
Mental Health Professional
Walk-in Clinic
Emergency Department
Urgent Care Center

Find a mental health provider
findtreatment.samhsa.gov
mentalhealthamerica.net/finding-help

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Text TALK to 741741
Text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7

I know some of the above might be more difficult for you as being a teen - but if you ever have these thoughts - call the prevention line above - these are trained individuals that will help you - you can also call them and talk about your current situation - I would think they could help you or direct you where you should go. There is also a text line - I know teens do like to text.

It is very important for you to get an adult that is in a position to help you - one that would understand this situation - unfortunately I think your parents just do not understand how serious this can be otherwise I am sure they would help you.
0 Replies